INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Servers and clients  (Read 1366 times)

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
Servers and clients
« on: November 04, 2011, 07:06:46 pm »

Using MC 17
Can a client make changes to the library on the server?

If not can it or will it be in the future.

Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Servers and clients
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:32:30 pm »

Using MC 17
Can a client make changes to the library on the server?

Absolutely.  And it could with MC16 too.  You need to enable Authentication (you have to have a username and password) and then enable Automatically sync changes under Options -> Media Network -> Client Options.  Then any tagging changes you make on a client are automatically synced back to the server periodically and when the client copy is closed.

There are some things you can't do from the Client:

1. Delete Playlists
2. Change a Standard View permanently (including things like sorting), add new Views, or anything like that.
3. Change auto-import settings
4. Change the Theater View setup (including the "state" of Theater View, such as which view was "last used" and is therefore opened by default next time)
5. Stuff that messes with the physical files on disk, like Rename, Move, and Copy files.
6. I'm not clear on the current state of Cover Art support, you'll have to check with maxxsid.
7. Use the Send To menus to send a file to an external program.

They have added a few new things to MC17 though, like you can now Drag-and-Drop files out of the client MC (so over to the desktop to make a local copy, for example), as long as the remote media is locally accessible (so not out over the Internet unless you have a VPN).  But, if you are on a LAN and you have all of your media on a network drive (and it is mounted on all the client machines using the same drive letter) it works fine.  Another way to do it is to import your media into MC using a UNC path instead of a M:\blah\blah type filename.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

maid

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:39:45 pm »

thanks
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 07:49:21 pm »

No problem.

then enable Automatically sync changes under Options -> Media Network -> Client Options.

To be clear, you need enable this part on the Client copies of MC.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up