INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: v17 beta freezes on import  (Read 1306 times)

tranglos

• Recent member
v17 beta freezes on import
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:00:40 pm »

Just installed v17 beta: Windows 7 32-bit. Unfortunately, it seems unusable. As it starts importing files (whether using the auto-import timeout or manually via Tools -> Import), the whole application freezes, until Windows asks whether to shut it down or wait for a response. Waiting doesn't help, the process must be killed every time.

Interestingly, the same thing happened when uninstalling (Windows had to force-kill the uninstaller).

I hoped to take advantage of the special upgrade price offer, but I cannot pay for a product that's *that* broken. I'll stick with v14.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: v17 beta freezes on import
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:03:18 pm »

That's not normal.

If an application is keeping the system very busy, sometimes Windows will report incorrectly that it is unresponsive.  Killing it isn't always a good thing.

A second install would be worth trying.

Is your media on an external drive?

You could try the method Matt suggested here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67516.msg453176#msg453176

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:36:16 pm »

You might also try to import just a chunck of a certain file and location type to see if it a certain file type or location that it is having problems with...
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

tranglos

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:42:18 am »

If an application is keeping the system very busy, sometimes Windows will report incorrectly that it is unresponsive.  Killing it isn't always a good thing.

A second install would be worth trying.

Is your media on an external drive?

No, my media is on a secondary internal drive (and I was only importing music). However, when I allowed MC to initiate the import automatically, it was only trying to import from the default location (c:\Users\(account)\Music), which is empty except for some cddb data files.

The system was not being "kept very busy", as there was no particular disk or CPU activity at all. Just to check, I re-ran the same exact import procedure (same settings, same folders) using MC v14 and it proceeded perfectly well, just like it always does.

I'll try reinstalling, or wait for another beta.
Pages: [1]   Go Up