INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running MC17 kills MC16  (Read 2906 times)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Running MC17 kills MC16
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:12:52 am »

If I am running MC16 and open MC17, MC16 simply vanishes.
But if I am running MC17 and start MC16, both remain open and available.

Why is this, is it by design?

(when a new version is out I usually stick to tagging and such in the old version until the new one is very stable and has gained my confidence, using the newer version for playback  and for trying out new features)
. . . the game is rigged

Lasse_Lus

Running MC17 kills MC16
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:51 am »

If I am running MC16 and open MC17, MC16 simply vanishes....

quick check, do you have Options\General\Advanced -->Allow multiple instances.. ticked ?
MT5FR

AoXoMoXoA

Running MC17 kills MC16
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:22:39 am »

quick check, do you have Options\General\Advanced -->Allow multiple instances.. ticked ?

No, I did not think it necessary as they are two separate installs and different versions.
However since MC17 forces MC16 closed and not the other way around, it seemed to be a different issue than 2 instances.

Which version would I set for multiples? MC16 or MC17? or both??
. . . the game is rigged

Lasse_Lus

Running MC17 kills MC16
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:29:53 am »

Which version would I set for multiples? MC16 or MC17? or both??

does not hurt to tick all installs..i know it should not be a issue when running different versions, but to be on the safe side...
MT5FR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Running MC17 kills MC16
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:49:17 am »

I'm guessing this happens when you install MC17.  It will shut down MC16's Media Server if it's running.  Change your settings in MC16 so it isn't running at Windows startup.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:17:33 am »

Jim, it happens every time I try, not just during install . . . MC16 gets closed.

I tried turning off Start Up options like adjust volume at start up but to no avail. They are NOT using the same library files, only the same media files.

I wound up ticking "Allow Multiple Instances" to remedy the issue. Funny though, I only need tick that option in MC17 for it to be successful.

So I have a work-around but apparently there's something conflicting, I guess MC17 just trumps MC16 somewhere in the system. Unless of course this is by design.

oh, and thank you Lasse_Lus for the quick assist.
. . . the game is rigged

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 10:40:40 am »

This is by design.  Starting MC 17 closes any running MC 16.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 10:50:12 am »

This is by design.  Starting MC 17 closes any running MC 16.

Thank you, I will no longer fret over it.  :)
. . . the game is rigged

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 09:09:33 am »

But here's a fretter! I really, really, really need to be running both 16 and 17. The last beta with Core AAC support finally fixed the problems I've had on my main media server, and on that computer I have to have two versions running at the same time. And because of the automation system I run 16 has to start first. This has never been a problem on any earlier upgrades, I've been running two instances together on several computers for a long, long time. Please tell me that there is a way around this, or all the time I've spent getting AAC streaming working perfectly on the media server has been wasted! :(

Any dirty trick will do (changing names on key files or whatever), as long as I can have them running at the same time.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:15:02 am »

Please tell me that there is a way around this

I would recommend switching to v17 everywhere.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 09:18:09 am »

I would recommend switching to v17 everywhere.

Does this imply that v17 is getting close to being ready for "prime time"? I haven't installed a single version of v17 yet.

VP

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 09:22:34 am »

Well, yeah. But we've been down this road before. ;) That time it was about conflicting windows messages, but you told me to switch to mc commands. And that has been working perfectly since then (it may have been using 14 and 15 together, I can't remember  - it's been a long time). For my system I am totally dependant on two different versions so I can call mc16.exe and mc17.exe commands seperatly. One for radio and one for regular music. I can't use the same zones for music and radio because my son, my daughter and my wife gets insane (and I get violent towards inanimate objects...) when a quick listening to the news wipes out the playlist they were listening to, so they have to be separated. And having 22 zones on one version isn't good either (with one zone each for radio and music for my 11 physical zones) because that makes the NetRemote control that we all use on HTC HD2 Windows Mobile 6.5 phones very messy. So two different versions is a necessity.

Couldn't that be an "advanced" choice, to close or not close 16? As long as it's not used for video I don't think anything can be messed up by having those two versions running side by side, right?

Edit: Oh, and if somebody thinks my system is unnecessary complex they should have heard the radio signals we get out here in the sticks... But this has worked 24/7 for years without any problems until the main Norwegian state owned broadcasting station NRK went from WMA to AAC on their high quality streaming and for some ¤¤¤¤ed up reason chose a version with a non standard gain control system...

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 09:36:19 am »

For my system I am totally dependant on two different versions so I can call mc16.exe and mc17.exe commands seperatly. One for radio and one for regular music. I can't use the same zones for music and radio because my son, my daughter and my wife gets insane (and I get violent towards inanimate objects...) when a quick listening to the news wipes out the playlist they were listening to, so they have to be separated.

I have the same issue when a video is played and clears the Music playlist so I also use both MC16 + MC17.
Besides running both versions, I had suggested as a solution the ability to direct Video to one zone and Audio to a different zone.
. . . the game is rigged

rick.ca

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 03:49:07 pm »

I have the same issue when a video is played and clears the Music playlist...

Why don't you use Add (play now) instead of Play? That effectively puts a playlist on "hold" while a video or radio station is played.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 04:52:55 pm »

That works fine except when someone double-clicks a video file in Explorer.
. . . the game is rigged

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 04:59:37 pm »

Or anywhere else. A slip of the mouse, and your playlist is gone. With one version that is associated to video and one that's associated to audio you'll have the best of both worlds.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 06:03:04 pm »

Besides running both versions, I had suggested as a solution the ability to direct Video to one zone and Audio to a different zone.

You can already kind-of do this as long as you don't need the video sound to go to multiple different zones.

Options -> Video -> Advanced -> Audio Playback Device:  Pick your sound device instead of "Same as Audio".  This has a few downsides (no DSP, mostly), but if you're just bitstreaming or decoding ProLogic/DTS on a receiver anyway, it doesn't matter.

I don't know if that option is Zone specific.  A lot of the options under Options -> Video are now Zone specific in MC17 though, so it might even work.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 02:30:57 pm »

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the thread not a creature was stirring, not even a Matt... ;) So am I to understand that there will not ever be a version of 17 that makes it optional to kill 16 on startup? I really can not see the reason to do this. It's a bit like if Skoda would refuse me to use the Chevy truck because they think one car should be enough even if I specifically need two cars for two different uses, sometimes even at the same time.

I know that analogy probably is a bit off (for one thing I have never seen wheels on MC), but still... Is it so difficult to put a toggle switch under "Advanced" with the wowrds: "Close older versions on startup (Yeah, Mastiff, this one's for you, you nagging ¤#%¤#!)"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up