INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Control Not Working  (Read 1785 times)

greynolds

• Citizen of the Universe
Remote Control Not Working
« on: December 24, 2011, 07:56:54 pm »

Not sure what I did, but my remote control is no longer controlling Media Center.  I'm using a Crestron control system that can both emulate keyboard commands via a USB dongle (it's a keyboard wedge, which works exactly like having a real USB keyboard hooked up to the system) and send standard Windows Media Center remote commands to a connected Media Center Remote IR receiver (I'm using the exact same HP receiver that J River sells).  To configure the commands, I had previously gone into Tools -> Options -> Remote Control -> Commands and learned keyboard commands from the Crestron system and everything had been working fine.  It was working fine earlier today and then J River stopped responding to all commands other than Up, Down, Left, Right, and Enter - it looks like it's ignoring everything else.  If I open Notepad, give it focus, and then have my remote send out the various commands (P for Play, Spacebar for Pause, F for Fast Forward, R for Rewind, etc.), I see all the commands show up in my Notepad document.  But if I switch back to Media Center, nothing happens when I execute the same commands (same thing with a connected USB keyboard).  If I relearn the commands in the Tools -> Options -> Remote Control -> Commands interface, the show up as expected in the Learned Trigger Code column.

So I decided to switch over to using the Media Center Remote receiver and get the same result.  I clicked the "Restore Default List" button to clear all learned commands and then tried to control Media Center with whatever the default mappings would be.  Up, Down, Left, Right, and Select all work, but nothing else does.  If I go into the Tools -> Options -> Remote Control -> Commands interface, I can learn commands, but Media Center ignores them in Standard View and Theater View.

In Tools -> Options -> Remote Control -> Devices & Options, I have both "Microsoft MCE" and "Remote, keyboard, gamepad or other HID" selected.

I'm assuming that I'm missing something pretty obvious, but have no idea what it could be.  Any help would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate and Happy Holidays to everyone else.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Remote Control Not Working
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »

Try powering down and back up.

greynolds

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 08:18:57 pm »

Try powering down and back up.
Thanks Jim, that fixed it.  Naturally, that was pretty much the only thing I hadn't tried...  :-[

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 09:06:01 pm »

You're probably not old enough to remember whacking the TV on the side to get it to work.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 09:42:51 pm »

You're probably not old enough to remember whacking the TV on the side to get it to work.

This brought back fond memories.  I used to have an old, early color TV hand-me-down.  It lost color periodically, but was pre-remote, and lived across the room.  Early on, a light tap or lob of a slipper would "fix" the problem.  The next season, a rigid rap on the side or a swiftly tossed sneaker or two was required.  By the final year, a serious side-denting thrashing or heavy boot pummeling failed to have sufficiently reliable effect.  Eventually, it gave up the ghost, dieing a slow, miserable death.  I'm still haunted by the beating I gave that beast.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

greynolds

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 10:37:14 pm »

I didn't say I hadn't tried that (definitely old enough).  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 07:51:08 am »

This brought back fond memories.  I used to have an old, early color TV hand-me-down.  It lost color periodically, but was pre-remote, and lived across the room.  Early on, a light tap or lob of a slipper would "fix" the problem.  The next season, a rigid rap on the side or a swiftly tossed sneaker or two was required.  By the final year, a serious side-denting thrashing or heavy boot pummeling failed to have sufficiently reliable effect.  Eventually, it gave up the ghost, dieing a slow, miserable death.  I'm still haunted by the beating I gave that beast.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas!  And thanks for a good laugh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up