INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pink floyd  (Read 2297 times)

zevele1

Pink floyd
« on: May 21, 2002, 08:39:11 am »

Mam,dad friends are coming this evening to see the stereo i got
Ok but do not make a mees
No,no they just want to listen to the fly from left to right speakers

Atom Heart Mother:and you are surprise by the mad cow disaster?

Ummagumma:the only way to find a record worst than this one ON EARTH:a special edition four cds box

Dark side of the moon:needs to be played in death rows.When the day come,people would be almost happy to know they will never hear it again .

The Piper at the gate of the gate:TOTAL MASTER
A saucerfull of secrets:beginning of the end

Scronch

RE:Pink floyd
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2002, 07:38:06 pm »

Zev, I think you're being far too elitist.  Wild success does not imply lack of content, talent, imagination or challenge, as this and the other thread have seem to implied.  Try listening to an early Stones album 10,000 times (like most of us were forced to hear Dark Side) and see what you think; familiarity breeds contempt.  "Animals" is no trivial album to perform, unlike much of the output of the Stones and other bands mentioned in the other post.  But then, I personally don't mind if other people don't like the music I do.  If they're at my house or my business and they don't like the music, they can always leave (which is what I do when someone else is playing country).

Scronch

Graham

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 01:35:36 am »

Scronch,

I'm with you on this one. And Country - I either leave or laugh myself into a stupor. But hey, someone must like it.

Before I hear the howls (or yee haa's and slapping thighs) of complaint, I live in Scotland and periodically have to listen to the deranged wailing of bagpipes, so some sympathy please...

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2002, 02:01:49 am »

I'm glad to see there's another Scotsman on the board Next Page

gateley

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2002, 08:09:20 am »

I've owned most pf discs, and roger waters two, the first of gilmour's, and a pile of syd barrett.

I still listen to the gilmour cd. I never could listen to the barrett stuff.

j

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2002, 08:10:46 am »

For Scotsmen, there is another.  Weehappypixie.  But he hasn't been around for a few weeks.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

zevele 1

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2002, 09:18:34 am »

Schronch

You know that i like funny[?] posts,to mess around and to be provocative
It is the case with this post.Because of the words i used,in all sincerity i do not think that there is something good to say about this 3 records.
But ,yes ,Animals is a good album,yes as i say you have good time seing them in concert

But ,the thing who upset me is to see anything put under the tag "rock" or "rock band"
Pink Floyd is not Rock.Do not means it is junk.Bach,Amstrong,La Callas are not Rock,do not means it is junk.Not sure Stone are Rock today,junk i'am allmost sure...................

I do not thing i am eletist.The only thing i do not like when a band starts to sell many records is that you cannot see them in humain sized places
But as i said many many times before,most of the bands have nothing to say after 2 or 3 albums
As many writters or movie makers.And it is easy to understand.Not that many people are good enougth to have to say something of value during all the time of they life
And most of the bands do not know to stop.Most of the time because of money,drugs,sex and the fact that they are in such another word that they will not bee able to deal with the real one
They is not so much musiciens strong as John Lennon,to do baby setting instead of putting the same thing on record again and again
Takes REM,a band i love.They are dry.But instead of stoping,they got a new $80 millions deal,and automatic,the last are S..t.The same with U2,even worse.I saw that for the last U2 and REM the critics said,not that bad,better than the x last records,it is a succes to have a new record that is S..t  when the last one was big S..t......Do not think it is to be elitiste to flame this bands,even if you love they first albums.Or more exatly if you love they "before to be dry" period.
You said allmost the same thing about Genesis on another post
The cd format his another problem.You have 5 good songs,2 not bad,1 junk.With this you still can make a good lp 33prm .But now you have to fill 60 if not 70 minutes.And you get cds you never listen to until the end,with songs not even good for a retrospective compilation

Andy Warhol said 15 minutes of fame,not 150 minutes...............

I like to chat with you,really,and with a Rock or no soundtrack i wish you a good evening

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2002, 10:19:56 am »

Country has cuter women than most any other genre of music, though.

And Pink Floyd is a really great band. Of course, I only started listening to them recently, so that may help with the "familiarity breeds comtempt" aspect. Next Page

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2002, 11:03:01 am »

As a long time Floydie I post my colors to the mast from the outset - I love the band and the music with a passion that my regard for other bands (Steely Dan, Zep, Prefab Sprout etc.) never comes close.

I have listened to Dark Side literially many thousands of times but it still hits me with the same intensity today it did in 1973 when I first heard it.

It's not an album that has many outstanding tunes - Money and Time are excellent songs and Money probably qualifies (IMHO) Floyd as a rock band - but listening to the whole CD is an experience that still takes me to a place I have never been to any other way. It speaks to all the things in the world that will drive you crazy and it's still as valid today as it was nearly 30 years ago - that is the sign of great music no matter what you call it.

Having said that my favorite Floyd album is Wish You Were Here - certainly the best (IMHO) follow-up album to such a monster as DSOTM.

Back to the point about is Floyd rock. Floyd are generally not a "rock" band and, if anything, they would probably count themselves as a blues band. If you've heard any bootlegs from early Floyd shows they play blues when they jam - especially on early versions of Echoes (Floyd's finist individual tune IMHO).

All of human life is there with a few good rifs along the way. Anyway, my 2 cents.
Namaste,
John

zevele1

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2002, 11:30:34 am »

If i want to be "rock[?] magazine look alike ,i will say
One evening that changed my life in May 1967 i saw Pink Floyd.They been first band before....
Roland Kirk.On the top of it,the same week i saw twice The Living Theater.I was 16 years old and,if not changing my life,gave a new light
I saw Pink Floyd again the summer of the same year at Paris in an immense happening with Soft Machine and others bands.There is one think i can tell you they did not played blues
But they had to play something at the very beginning,and ,in all logic sure it was blues.
And they name come from 2 bluesmen names

But Echoes is allready Floyd mark 2
As a Floydie,you do not even speak about about they first album....

Anyway,let's speak about operaNext Pagen one side you have the Mozart's opera,masterpiece,on another hand you have Verdi.Kind of Barnum with nice but easy music

Room for both as long as you do not think that they are the same thing
But ,thanks God for the coming of the punk

Gatobrit

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2002, 11:43:26 am »

zevele10 - yes, Piper At The Gates of dawn is an amazing album and it is seminal Floyd. It is however, Barrett's Floyd and not Waters' Floyd and there is a big difference.

DSOTM moves me in a way that no other piece of music (to date) has moved me.

I remember it was 2 or 3 years after I started listening to Floyd in the early 70's that I first heard Piper and Saucerful as a repackaged double album. I loved the stuff but it never hit me in the same way.

Re the blues. I have a bootleg of Floyd at Montreax (sp?) with them in dinner jackets on the cover (looks really weird) and they play a 10 minute blues song that blows me away when I hear it every now and again.
Namaste,
John

zevele1

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2002, 12:26:01 pm »

Gatobrit

The jackpot is for you!
No need to long posts,just as you say
Barrett's Floyd and Water's Floyd
We are on the opposite side of the fence,but as you say,big difference

To the point to have bands influenced by one or another Floyd and doing very different kind of music
I do not care about the Water's one.But can listen to it.Animals is a good album,as far as i remember

Funny from the same time there is another band in the same situation:Soft Machine
A fantastic first album and Kevin Ayer left; and when Robert Wyatt left it was the beginning of a very very big musical catastrophe

Got Luther Wright & the Wrongs..Great.First i like bluegrass,but do this still bluegrass?
Look like the last big gonzo on earth  are playing bluegrass
Have a try to Blueground Undergrass.The grass is not fresh green ,if you understand me.

I do like country,but not the s,,t on radio.And i am sure that the ones  who say they do not like country,do not know this side of the country

Gatobrit

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2002, 12:43:35 pm »

zevele10 - Yeah, I have the Luther Wright CD and it is really funny to listen to and the weird thing is it does actually work as blue grass. If someone had told me that The Wall could be done blue gress style I would have thought that they were werid.

The chickens clucking, the old-style phone ringing, "Hey dee, How do!" - brilliant.

Country music. Nah. Not for me. It makes my ears itch.

It's good to know that there's another Floydie out there even if we are on either side of the Syd / Roger divide.
Namaste,
John

zevele1

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2002, 01:03:09 pm »

Guy Clark-David Allan Coe-Townes Van Zandt-Large part of Hank Williams-as rock as the first Presley-
It is what i mean

Scronch

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2002, 11:46:36 pm »

Graham> Before I hear the howls (or yee haa's and slapping thighs) of complaint...
I agree completely.  Perhaps the reason country sounds so bad to me is that anything more than 3 teeth blocks the musical nuances.

Doof> Country has cuter women than most any other genre of music...
And they even like men.

Zev, I do catch some of your humor.  Some of it is lost in the translation.  I would agree that Pink Floyd has gone the route of Genesis, i.e. sell out, pop, down the drain, etc.  I just disagree with you on when the demise initiated.  I think it started when Waters left the band.  I also think that the replacement of Barrett contributed greatly to the band's success, and to the quality of their music.

Scronch

Graham

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2002, 04:59:11 am »

The 'demise of 'floyd quality control' debate is a tricky one. Liked the Barrett era stuff a lot but in my mind the post-Barrett material was played by an entirely different band that just happened to have the same name. The departure of Waters didn't quite have the same effect, but may have been for the good anyway. His 'floyd swansong 'The Final Cut' has it's moments but oozes indifference. Post-Waters I actually quite like 'Division Bell' but found the others either simple rehashes or just plain bland. Well they are quite old, and very rich, so we probably couldn't expect much more...

To digress... I played guitar in a band during through the 80s, a bit of fun, did quite well locally. Took 60s and 70s pop tunes from people like Abba, Bowie, Creedance Clearwater, Brian Ferry/Roxy Music, and speeded them up about 10x and played them in a disturbed punk style while simultaneously attempting to drink as much alcohol as possible in true rock n' roll style. Also used those annoying one-hit wonders that you know all the words to, but have no idea (and don't care) who did them. Anyway, we were occasionally badgered into letting a guy call Flip (I think) play keyboards with us. He was always drunk or high and his playing was further impared by some seriously twisted limbs. He constantly claimed to all who would listen that he had played with Pink Floyd once. Given the state of him, it's perhaps no surprise that his claims were treated as the ramblings of a nutter (UKese for dangerous madman). A few years later I was surprised to see an obituary in the Guardian (UK broadsheet newspaper) announcing his (drug-related, I think) death and outling his previous career as 'floyd roadie/technician and, probably, back-up musician. I think he'd got his injuries from a truck crash while transporting the 'floyd gear. Dave Gilmour said some nice words...

Digressing 'off message' even further, I should have said that, at the time, I was playing in the Cambridge (UK) area. As a 'floyd' fan (not particularly cool at that time) I stupidly though it might be a good idea to try and contact Syd Barrett, who was known to be living a reclusive life in the area, to see if he fancied playing in my band (well, I thought he might have some great new material). As luck would have it, a friend of mine was a good friend of Syd's Brother, so I asked... ...and got a very forceful warning to stay away. Quite rightly, in retrospect.

There's a moral or two in there. Someone PLEASE tell me what they are!

Anyone still awake? I'll stop my ramblings and go away now...

Gatobrit

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2002, 07:14:09 am »

Graham - re your comment about being a Floyd fan being uncool. Very true!

I used to read NME and they chewed on Floyd all the way through the 70's (anyone from Cambridge was in the doghouse it seemed just because they came from Cambridge) and it definitely did not up my street cred (!) being a Floyd fan. Disco was hot, so apparently was KingSparta. hehehe!

NME did print "Syd Sightings" when a fan had seen the poor guy somewhere or other (in one case selling plastic canaries from a tray on the sidewalk in Knightsbridge) from time to time.

Ah the 70's!
Namaste,
John

zevele1

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2002, 10:26:04 am »

I am not sure than in France,Pink Floyd got even one negative word in the rock magazines in the 70's
And i am allmost sure than'Pompei' his still playing in a small cinema in Latin Quater
But we had only monthly magazines.No need to flame, to fill or sell

I saw bands sold-out large venues in France and,at the same time, playing small to medium places in UK

Graham

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2002, 10:44:36 am »

Anyone remember the surf film - 'Crystal Voyager' I think it was called? Great slo-mo surfing footage with 'Echos' playing over the top.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2002, 01:23:26 pm »

Zev,
'Pink Floyd live in Pompei' is no currently playing in France (Allocine.com)
but was on satellite TV last week !
And it's true, I have the same feeling that there's something over here about
Pink Floyd that prevents rock critics to say anything negative.
Don't know why.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

zevele1

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2002, 02:04:05 pm »

Do not know.But maybe because they been HUDGE since the start.And,sometimes,rock critics are just like they readers.I bet they just are still in love with the band
At the time of the first lp i remember Rock$Folk writting every month about Pink Floyd.I saw them on tv.Sure they sold more records in France that in England[the first one i mean]They played with Soft Machine at the Palais des Sport.It was full-must be around 5-6 thousand seats?

Cure since the first 7" started to have a very strong folowing and played big venues when the first lp was out.At the same time i saw them in London few times in small place

Do not know if you remember the concerts at Le Bourget. Bob Marley and a month later Patty Smith.I do not remember the numbers.But it was like allmost half million people for Marley and few hundred thousands for Patty Smith.Must be for both of them they bigger crowd ever
Reading this numbers now,they look wrong.But i know that Marley was the bigger crowd ever in France,and Michel Jarre did 400 thousands at la Concorde
Sometimes it is funny to see how a band is big in one country and not in another

Noir Desir one of the best Rock band on earth

Cmagic

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2002, 02:18:07 pm »

At the time Marley played I was not living in Paris (was in my hometown Lyon),
but I read about the concert in Best or Rock&Folk.
J.M. Jarre did something like 500 000 for his Lyon concert (was in the eighties I think)
It was fun because it was actually downtown by the river banks with lots of
fireworks, laser and smoke & lights effects. Nice souvenir.

Although I like some of those big artists and I certainly love Bob Marley, I don't
really like going to gigantic events with more than 10,000 people. I prefer
small places where you can really enjoy the concert. Like the Stones at the Olympia
on their 'Stripped' album. BTW haven't you seen the credits for this album ?
Cmagic - handclaps ! Next Page

But, yes, most of our fellow frenchies like big events with lots of merguez/frites....
Bob Marley (War)

zevele1

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2002, 02:48:15 pm »

You got tickets for this concert!!!!!!............LUCKY MAN

As you have understand,i do not like very large places
But Marley was something else,and because of the hudge crowd.By the way, smell of sausages and chips was not the main smell.......
Patty Smith,i did not expect that much people.But it was Patty Smith....so it was great
She was here 2 years ago.It was not that good,and i was sad.Her last record is very good

Can i hate for 3 minutes ,cause you saw the Stones a l'Olympia?

For non french
During this tour,the Stones played in a stadium,but gave one [or two] concerts in the Historic concert hall in France.Not a small place ,but no more than 2-3 thousand people
It was one of the best concert ever from the Stones since ages.And to this day,the last

Zevele:clap,clap is on many records,but not on this one

zevele1

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2002, 02:52:00 pm »

read 'can i hate you for 3 minutes...'
anyway it is more than 3 minutes since i wrote it,so...

Cmagic

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2002, 11:17:05 pm »

Zev,

I already lost a bunch of friend because of this Olympia ticket concert (was in '95 I think)
so please hate me for 3 minutes not more Next Page

There was actually two concerts at the Olympia and I can't tell if I'm really clapping on what
they put on the CD. But, Yes, that was such an experience for a Stones fan worth the long waiting
and "bousculade", I don't even remember the price I paid - not important.

Well, isn't it a thread about Pink Floyd ?
Bob Marley (War)
Pages: [1]   Go Up