INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Logical conclusion  (Read 985 times)

Graham

• Recent member
Logical conclusion
« on: May 21, 2002, 05:55:52 am »

It seems to me that MJ's (and available plugins) capabilities are now such that it can actually become a real functioning part of my normal music system. I'm thinking of buying a small, cheap and basic PC set-up (with a small monotor, reasonable hard drive size and CDRW, though) and with MJ installed leaving it entirely dedicated to my stereo system, ie connected to amplifier, turntable, tape deck etc. In this way I can back up and play my out-of-control vinyl, tapes and CDs without the hassle of changing, turning over etc. and build play lists to suit moods. I assume people are doing this already. What are the issues and problems re soundcards, outputs, sound quality?

Alonso Nefarious

RE:Logical conclusion
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2002, 06:39:08 am »

Lots of other folks have reached a similar conclusion, and this has been discussed in some detail, not that there is not more to contribute...

Do a search for 'audio pc' and 'av pc' and some variants.  There is a lot of data to mine out there.

Let us know how you make out, or what you propose to do...

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2002, 06:00:39 pm »

Hi there Graham,

If given the money you would (or have) bought a stereo or home theatre system and spent over $5000 I suggest this based on my own experiences:

1) MJ using Monkey's Audio Compression only [actually, any non-lossy scheme is fine, but Monkey's Audio KICKS A**!]
2) Audio card - use the coax digital output. $249 http://www.midiman.net/products/m-audio/dio2496.php
3) PC - perhaps an Asus or Abit or any not to big, not to small brand motherboard..... You will be happy as long as it is at least 500Mhz (any brand/model), 256MB RAM (128 is probably plenty), Windows 2000, SCSI [on board, or PCI card - needed for the CD reader I recommend]
4) CD Reader. I have ripped about 400 CDs. I've never gotten rip speed below 12x for ANY audio CD. It rips in one read across the CD. Rip the same CD 8 times. You will get BIT FOR BIT the same data 8 times. http://www.plextor.com/english/products/ultraplex_wide.html [I see they've made it a bit faster since I bought mine].
5) hard drives, hard drives, hard drives

This system will easily perform as well as a high end audio source.

If given the money you would not buy a stereo or home theatre system and spent over $5000 I suggest this based on my own experiences:

1) MJ using Monkey's Audio Compression [ you can save money on hard drive space by using a lossfull scheme - in which case I would vote for any current VBR encoder - beware discussing this topic in a public forum]
2) Audio card. Pretty much any current audio card is pretty good. If you have a digital input on your receiver (or pre-amp) and want a card with digital output treat yourself nice and get the MidiMan Delta AP2496 (link above).
3) PC - perhaps an Asus or Abit or ..... You will be happy as long as it is at least 500Mhz (any brand/model), 256MB RAM (128 is probably plenty), Windows 2000, SCSI [on board, or PCI card]
4) CD Reader. I have ripped about 400 CDs. I've never gotten rip speed below 12x for ANY audio CD. It rips in one read across the CD. Rip the same CD 8 times. You will get BIT FOR BIT the same data 8 times. http://www.plextor.com/english/products/ultraplex_wide.html [I see they've made it a bit faster since I bought mine].
5) hard drives, hard drives, hard drives

One of the nice things about using digital output is that you can put the computer out of earshot and run a radio shack off the shelf antenna style cable (RG59, RG6 etc - the stuff every store sells and every home has tons of).

Finally if you want a rich support environment in your endeavours, supported by actual experts in the music production (and video production) field - like dolby labs engineers and the like check out http://www.avsforum.com . It has a section on Home Theatre PCs (HTPC). It turns out that a PC makes a better DVD player then a DVD player does. It also turns out the PCs make better line doublers than say, Faroudja does. Over the last 2 years or so we turned all these corners. Computers are now cheaper for high end audio and video then dedicated equipment.

Have Fun!!!!!!
ram

BTW if you have a ton of CDs you may want to use either a RAID contoller ($100 by promise) or some simple file sync software to keep a redundant copy of the CDs you've ripped in case you have a drive failure.

Graham

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2002, 01:46:31 am »

Cotton-Eyed Loo,

Thanks. Some good and detailed recommendations there. Anything I absolutely shouldn't do?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2002, 05:59:23 am »

Don't wait.  You'll learn what works by trying things.

At home, I have a little Sony notebook connected to my living room stereo system, and in the TV room I have a desktop PC connected to a 32 inch digital TV (no other monitor).  I control it with a $70 Sony programmable remote, a wireless keyboard, and a wireless mouse.  Sounds complicated, but I can turn the whole rig on or off with two buttons.

I'm selling my CD player and my DVD player.

I think the subject of the earlier thread might have been "Media PC".  Searching for TV might also get another good thread.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

gateley

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2002, 08:04:20 am »

As Jim said: Just Do It.

I've got windows box hooked to a sony, and the songs are stored on a linux box, shared via samba over wireless networking. This is in the basement. I'm working towards a second system on the first floor (sharing the same database via wireless too).

My suggestion: go with a sound card than can do digital, but don't go for a top end model. I toasted a M-Audio delta 24/96 with a power failure, and can't tell the difference between that and my current Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (I think that's it).

j

DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2002, 10:53:27 am »

Hi Graham;

I think its great what you’re considering.  A computer is defiantly the way to go.

Consider my situation.  I had a 28 piece stereo system consisting of the best that money could buy (McIntosh, B&O, Tandberg, dbx, etc).   Had 6 McIntosh & B&O speakers, 3 McIntosh amps, a $900 B&O turntable with $400 cartridge, 3 tape decks, FM tuner, Preamp, etc.  I never turned an FM station without using the McIntosh scope to make sure the signal was strong & pure.  I even had many pieces of dbx noise reduction & dynamic expansion devices.  Many of my phono records & 7.5” reel to reel tapes were dBx encoded as were all the cassette tapes.  Yes, it was a wonderful system.  No noise on any tape or phono record.  I was achieving around 90db S/N (signal to noise ratio) on the tapes & 80db on the phono records with a dynamic range of around 80 - 85 db. It only set me back $26,000 (over several years).

Then along came computers.  Over the years I saw the computer as an ideal audio / video interface.  I started using the PC in 1981 & have never looked back.  At first it was rough going as the equipment was not quite there (more promise then substance).  Example: Have tried 7 TV tuners over the years until ATI finally defined the state of the art in TV tuners.

All the expensive stand alone audio equipment is now gone… replaced mostly by the computer.  The $1,300 B&O turntable system has been replaced by a $59 DVD / CD player that is totally quiet (110db S/N) & has a dynamic range exceeding 100db… far beyond human hearing.  There are no pops, clicks, ticks, hiss, rumble or other analog noise elements to get in the way of the music.

This is my 3rd computer audio / video system.  I can defiantly say that after several rough starts, the computer has finally arrived as an entertainment center.  Today it all works as advertised (mostly).  The only problem is the long boot up & an occasional lock up (isn’t  Windows wonderful?).

My current system…

Windows XP Professional running on… Pentium 4, 2.2 GHz., 512 Mb DDR memory, Gigabyte GA-81RXP motherboard (has Raid 0 & Raid 1 built in & will support up to 8 ATA drives), 2 Maxtor 80 GB hard drives set up in Raid 0 at ATA 133 for 160 GB total, 1 Maxtor 40GB drive for back up (don’t want to loose all the hard saved CD’s in MJ in case of a drive failure), ATI All-In-Wonder 7500 video card with a wonderful TV turner / DVD / video file reader & remote control (supports Dolby 5.1 surround sound), Creative Audigy Platinum sound card with remote control (has both analog & digital outputs & built-in Dolby 5.1 surround sound and over 100db S/N ratio), Sony 19” flat screen monitor, Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse (for the couch potato), 10 PC speakers (Klipsh & a few other brands are very good & rival the best standalones), and an FM tuner card.  I even have my VCR connected to the computer through the ATI video card.  The ATI card also has outputs for your large screen TV.

For those other times when I want some more entertainment (Microsoft Flight Sim for example) I have a Logitech wireless WingMan Cordless Rumblepad that can be quickly switched between Flight Sim & land games such as auto racing & such… really nice.

Yes, I do really like Logitech products.  Their products just seem to work!

All in all, I have 5 wireless receivers connected to my computer & all work as advertised.  As I said before, computers have really come a long way since the early days (or should I say early “daze”?).

Hardware is much cheaper & vastly better then ever.  Most of it really works!

My recommendation to you Graham, is to start with a basic system of at least 1.5 GHz (as they are now really cheap), 256 Mb of memory, Win XP (the Home version is fine), the biggest ATA 100 or 133 drive that you can afford, a second slower & cheaper ATA 66 or 100 drive for back ups, as somewhere along the line you WILL loose all your data on the main drive.  This can happen without a drive failure.  It happen to me during an operating system install (you never know when a catastrophe will strike). Win XP has a really nice backup program built in & you should always use it. You will also need a DVD / CD drive (any name brand will do). For video card, I recommend the ATI All-In-Wonder 7500 or All-In-Wonder DV 8500 as they work great & are very fast with games & have a wonderful TV tuner & the fantastic Guide Plus for instant viewing & recording of your favorite TV shows up to a week in advance.  The 7500 is half the price of the DV8500 but has most of the cool features of the 8500 including the radio frequency remote control that works from up to 30 feet away & through walls.  I like the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum sound card for its feature set & remote control (this is my 3rd Creative SoundBlaster).  It also connects nicely with the ATI All-In-Wonder as both support Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound.  The speakers, you will just have to hear for yourself or connect the output of the Audigy sound card to your existing preamp or amplifier & use your current speakers. One other thing, make sure the new computer has several free expansion slots for future expansion cards.  You never know when a new goodie comes out that you just have to have

A new experience is in store for you Graham.  At first you will be confused, bewildered, befuddled, etc by all the new goodies but they will quickly grow on you.  You will be able to do things in audio / video that was only a dream a few years ago.

HAVE FUN with your new toys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up