INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to control MC using Apple Remote on an iphone or ipad?  (Read 2455 times)

jb26

• Recent member

Hi All,

Does anyone know if it's possible to use JRiver Media Center with the Apple designed "Remote" app on an iphone/ipad, whether via plug-in or other method?

I ask because I find that MC sounds the best on my Win7 PC and find the Remote app the most functional of the controllers available. I've tried itunes & foobar2000 for sound, and the my river and rivermote apps, but believe a MC/Remote combination would be the best of the best.

This is particularly important to me because my PC isn't very accessible so I rely upon remote access via my ipad or iPhone.

Cheers,

James

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is it possible to control MC using Apple Remote on an iphone or ipad?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:22:49 pm »

No, because of the way that app communicates with iTunes.

I agree, though.  A simple JRiver remote UI would be useful.  It would actually be pretty darn easy to whip up with the web-based control system for MC.

That would be an awesome little learn-how-to-code-for-iOS project, as a matter of fact.  I might just whip out my XCode install next week.  I've been wanting a SIMPLE project just like that, in fact.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jb26

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 03:28:59 am »

If you did that, and you need someone to do testing let me know.  I'd love a link between apple's remote app & MC to become a reality.

Sheugel

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 04:29:05 am »

There are plugins existing for other players to use the iOS Apple Remote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Control_Protocol#Servers
So, this should be possible...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 06:27:20 am »

Hmmm... Since MC already has a documented remote control mechanism, it would honestly be much easier to just write your own remote control UI.

However, I did not realize that about DACP.  Thanks Sheugel!

Since you'd be hacking it onto MC rather than the app, you'd have to write a plugin for MC (or have a helper app to translate the protocol).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 12:33:12 pm »

If you did that, and you need someone to do testing let me know.  I'd love a link between apple's remote app & MC to become a reality.

My River.  Both for iPhone and iPad.  SIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67120.0
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

jb26

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 09:46:28 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried My River and it's not bad, just not as smooth & good to browse as the apple remote app.  Hence, the idea behind this thread trying to find out if it's possible to link the remote app to MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up