INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you have a PC connected to a TV?  And do you use MC's Theater View for this?

Yes
- 175 (69.2%)
I have an HTPC, but I don't use MC on it
- 16 (6.3%)
I'm thinking about it
- 20 (7.9%)
I've tried it
- 11 (4.3%)
No
- 31 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Do you use MC on an HTPC?  (Read 20815 times)

Mithrandir

• Recent member
Re: POLL: Do you use MC on an HTPC?
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2012, 03:33:00 pm »

Hello,

I went with "Tried it," but that is not entirely correct.  I used HTPC's for Sagetv and MC (for music) for a couple of years.  I found that I hated having to fire up the TV to play music, so after a while I bit the bullet and went with sonos for playback and MC for all ripping and management. 

When the Sagetv HD200 extenders came out I moved completely away from HTPC's.  No more windows issues, codec issues etc.  No more, " Daddy, the TV doesn't work again."  Thin clients/extenders have just worked really well for me.

With Sagetv having been assimilated into the Gorg, I am looking for options, and I honestly believe I am just going to go with Directv's new 5 tuner DVR.  I can deal with the learning curve to set up another PVR solution, but I am not willing to deal with HTPC's at every TV again.  I could go with WMC, but that will require a big, loud, ugly xbox at every TV.  A big loud ugly xbox that will not play my kids movie rips.

I would love to go with MC for TV, but I am not willing to fool with full on HTPC clients any more.  If some sort of thin client were available I would be all over it.

M. 

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2012, 04:56:17 pm »

I found that I hated having to fire up the TV to play music, so after a while I bit the bullet and went with sonos for playback and MC for all ripping and management. 

Why do you need a TV to listen to music? 
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Mithrandir

• Recent member
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2012, 07:48:12 pm »

Why do you need a TV to listen to music?

Because the only "monitors" I had attached to the HTPC's were TV's.  I was using MC in theater view.

yoshi_1

• Recent member
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2012, 02:47:57 pm »

MC is a central part of my HTPC setup, and use it both for audio and video. Loudspeaker XO and room correction is performed in the digital domain by ConvolverVST hosted by MC. I simply love the short and elegant signal path:

MC => ASIO => LynxTwo-B sound interface => Hypex UcD amplifiers

FIR filters are generated by Audiolense speaker correction software.

pcstockton

« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2012, 04:48:55 pm »

Because the only "monitors" I had attached to the HTPC's were TV's.  I was using MC in theater view.

Then my question is how do you control the Sonos.... which leads to my point that you dont need a TV/Monitor to control MC.  Simply use a control point, e.g. an iOS app, Gizmo, another install of MC on a laptop etc. 

You dont REQUIRE a monitor for MC.

Thats all,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Mithrandir

• Recent member
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2012, 07:03:40 pm »

Then my question is how do you control the Sonos.... which leads to my point that you dont need a TV/Monitor to control MC.  Simply use a control point, e.g. an iOS app, Gizmo, another install of MC on a laptop etc. 

You dont REQUIRE a monitor for MC.

Thats all,
Patrick

At the time there was no Gizmo and the only available iOS app did not function in a manner that met our needs.  We did try hard to make it work for us.  I don't consider a laptop a suitable option.

What finally convinced me to go with Sonos was a really good iOS controller.  So to answer your question,  we use our I phones to control Sonos. 

If I was not now invested in Sonos I would certainly give gizmo a try. 

I know a tv is not required to control MC.   You do know this thread is about HTPC's attached to TV's, right?

M

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2012, 08:38:22 pm »

Just adding my 2 cents, like many others here have already said, my htpc is the only thing connected to my tv and MC the only thing I use on it (well at least 95%).  I noticed Jim mentioned early on in the thread he predicted 1 in 4, as of now it's more like 2 out of 3.
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2012, 04:16:53 am »

Because of the bitperfect gapless playback, I like MC for music on the TV (ie being able to see what is playing w/o having to go to the computer.

As for TV and movies, I need to learn how to make it look and feel the way I want. It does not have to be fancy, but the use of fanart as well as coverart and to display seasons and their episiodes in a way that looks like a good TV front end, rather than a great computer front end, I still use MB within 7mc.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2012, 07:29:08 am »

Loft computer with 24" monitor:
JRiver software, media imported here, grouped, sorted & custom tagged.
Also used exclusively for listening to music.

Bedroom computer with 37" TV:
XBMC frontend software, media via via smb share from loft computer

Living room computer with 52" TV:
XBMC frontend software, media fed via smb share from loft computer

XBMC software is a frontend software only, really no tagging features, I am looking for an all-in-one solution, JRiver is getting close.

Darth B

• Recent member
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2012, 03:01:40 pm »

I use MC to:
1) Listen to Audio
2) Watch DVD and Blu-Ray rips
3) View Pictures
4) Starting to manage portable devices - but mostly this is done with iTunes.

I do not use it for viewing TV.

For the most part, MC is in Theater View.  I would love to see more Theater View skins.  I've tried creating my own, but I too much of noob for it.  The available documentation for Theater View seems outdated and incomplete.

beernuts

• Recent member
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2012, 02:47:38 pm »

At our house, MC is always in theatre mode:
Organizes and plays all the photos
Plays all our purchased audio
Played rented DVD's (until Netflix came to town)
Would play our rented audio, if last.fm (paid acct) appeared in Theatre mode
Would play our rented video (Netflix) if it weren't for that Canadian licensing glitch

We killed our satellite subscription last year, so we're purely digital now.
(Local news we get from the station website, by web browser. On OUR schedule.)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2012, 03:45:44 am »

Theater View is pretty much all I use MC for.

Would love to see the following added:

Pandora
TuneIn
A pay per audio track service.
A pay per movie service like Amazon.

Maybe a few fun games.

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up