INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you have a PC connected to a TV?  And do you use MC's Theater View for this?

Yes
- 175 (69.2%)
I have an HTPC, but I don't use MC on it
- 16 (6.3%)
I'm thinking about it
- 20 (7.9%)
I've tried it
- 11 (4.3%)
No
- 31 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Do you use MC on an HTPC?  (Read 20817 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
POLL: Do you use MC on an HTPC?
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:46:28 pm »

We would like to understand how important an HTPC is for you.  We know that many people may use just a PC (no TV) for playing media, but this poll is about how you might use a PC and a TV together, for enjoying your media from across the room, often with a remote.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Do you use MC on an HTPC?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 06:48:28 pm »

My HTPC is the only device connected directly to an input on my TV.  It doesn't even have a coax cable, cable box, or any other devices attached.

MC is the primary media front-end I use for entertainment purposes.
The only real exception now is for Live TV viewing, for which I still use SageTV.

PS. Live TV basically only ever happens for Sports, and since I'm not a huge sportsball guy, and the Olympics aren't this year, and it isn't a World Cup year (I do like Soccer, as we call it here, but it is hard to follow closely here except for during the World Cup)... That basically only happens when my friends come over and say "Hey, turn on the X game."  So, I fire up Sage and ask what channel to put on.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 06:54:42 pm »

I used to, but no longer.

I am able to accomplish streaming my library across my home network either using my Xbox 360 or my Onkyo Receiver. I have tried using tuner cards in the past, but was never really pleased with the quality (granted this was several years ago). I am now a very pleased U-Verse subscriber, so don't really have the need for recording TV on my PC unless the HTPC market really makes some giant leaps forward and U-Verse stagnates.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 07:02:41 pm »

Just for the record, I would have guessed that 1 in 4 would answer "Yes". 

With 6 votes in, it's 4 in 6.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 07:03:04 pm »

I have repurposed an older desktop that I built in 2007 into my HTPC. I use MC on it just about every night...the only times I am forced to migrate away is to use ESPN3.com. My HTPC also serves as my media server when I am on-the-go, so it is on 24/7. I keep trying to justify an upgrade but everything just seems to work, especially after the introduction of LAV CUVID.

I operate it 95% of the time using a universal remote with "learned" commands from my HTPC remote, and sometimes I will access it using my laptop via Synergy, which is a fantastic program btw.

When I first repurposed the computer (back in the pre-Red October/madVR/LAV days) I would have to usually fiddle with something on it about twice a week. Now, I never think about it. Shows just appear (via Sickbeard with sgomes' mod) and music can be added remotely via a web interface I have designed.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:35:59 pm »

We have a dedicated HTPC with MC17 on it and it is very important to us (re your opening line Jim). It's a quad core that I built about a year ago to run SageTV. Our large screen TV's only source is the HTPC.

We've recently quit using Sage entirely and have all media including TV and recording done in MC. Still some minor growing pains with TV, but I'm so thankful with the demise of Sage that JRiver is putting a real focus on TV this year. I am confident that I will continue to be pleased with my decision to use MC for everything.

Rod

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 07:42:09 pm »

Yes and yes.

My HTPC is the only input connected to my TV (there isn't even a coax antenna plugged into it). Everything that shows on the TV is through the HTPC. MC is the only software used on this.

I honestly don't know how people use 2 or 3 different programs for their needs. It's been difficult enough getting my better half comfortable with ONE  ;D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:43:39 pm »

I'm certainly one of the "majority" then, in fact I came to JR when looking for specifically for Theaterview / HTPC use for video playback.  To me, MC Std View is just the "backend" where I do "maintenance tasks" on the library that is then consumed by the whole family via the HTPC / Theaterview front end.

Edit:  Like others, my HTPC is a very simple build...Win7 + MC (some utiles like AnyDVD HD) but no other apps.  Digitial TV is from a Network Based Tuner (HD HomeRun).  Media is all on the Network.
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 07:46:40 pm »

I answered yes, but I actually use it on three HTPCs in the house, my desktop and my laptop. Like jmone, I wanted to use standard view for my back end and theater view as front end. My library has grown since I started using MC, and so I never got to use TheaterView properly because I've been tagging for four years! Now with Carnac and the tagging on import, I'm hoping things will improve and I can finally enjoy my media rather than watch it guiltily knowing that it needed tagging. :)

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 07:48:57 pm »

yep. JRiver MC installed on an Intel sandybridge quad core i5 mini itx computer, HDMI'd to a Huge Samsung LED LCD, and WASAPI event style USB audio to an Ayre DAC, ATC amp and ATC floor-standing speakers. All controlled by wireless logitech diNovo edge keyboard/trackpad... pure heaven  ;D

uninstalled all other media/video/music players on my pc, there is no need for them
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 07:54:44 pm »

Yes 2 HTPCs MC for audio andd video...  WMC for tv still. Would like to get away with WMC, but WAF is real high with TV on WMC.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 07:58:13 pm »

We would like to understand how important an HTPC is for you. 

Extremely! :-) I have 3 and I use MC almost exclusively this way (Theater View client). Standard view runs on the server of course to do the heavy lifting but most people in my family are unaware that MC is anything more than a HTPC front-end.

HTPC's are all I use with all our TV's. I don't have any other set top boxes, DVD/BD players etc
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 07:59:19 pm »

yep. JRiver MC installed on an Intel sandybridge quad core i5 mini itx computer, HDMI'd to a Huge Samsung LED LCD, and WASAPI event style USB audio to an Ayre DAC, ATC amp and ATC floor-standing speakers. All controlled by wireless logitech diNovo edge keyboard/trackpad... pure heaven  ;D
Nice.  As it should be.

justsomeguy

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 09:09:07 pm »

I voted "I have an HTPC, but I don't use MC on it".

At the moment I'm still using WMC with jriver as my external player. One reason has been live tv. For me it just works better (for now) in WMC. I've never been able to get my ATI tuner to display a quality picture in MC no matter what I do with the filters in MC.
Also in the past the lack of automatic metadata in MC kept me away from using theater view, although this problem is quickly being resolved lately in the new versions.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:19:58 pm »

HTPC =>HDMI => Yamaha RX-V867 => HDMI => Mitsubishi DLP TV

Nothing else is connected to the TV.

A single antenna in the attic feeds an AVerMedia HD Duet PCIe Dual Tuner Card, and it works great.

Once MC gets some more polish on TV, I hope to switch, but for now WMC is still much more usable for daily use.
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 09:20:46 pm »

Yes, from 14 of 19.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 09:34:50 pm »

Common theme here seems to be TV not so great vs WMC, so it's great you guys seem to be putting a fair amount of focus on this at the moment.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 12:43:08 am »

Common theme here seems to be TV not so great vs WMC, so it's great you guys seem to be putting a fair amount of focus on this at the moment.

Right now WMC has the lock on TV for me for these reasons:
First - it can handle digital cable including encrypted channels via cable card adapters (Ceton or HomeRun)
Second - it can record up to 4 channels at a time from one cable card or 8 from two to a single central machine.
Third - using the XBox 360 as a WMC Extender, the TV experience is identical on every TV and all shows (including 'copy once' flagged ones) can be watched from any TV in the house even though they all record on a central computer. 

The only thing WMC does really well is TV (once you get past all of the registry edits and tweaks you have to do to fix things like enforced overscan).  For everything else, I switch over to JRiver MC and Theater View.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 12:48:25 am »

Been using MC on my HTPC since the first build (of HTPC) a few years years ago.
Music and Video mostly. Photos. Netflix. Streaming stuff (news, movies from a not very common sites) - this is not handled well in Theater View - have to go to Standard View which is a bit annoying.
Almost no live TV (I "cut the cable" but do have an antenna and basic cable).
MC is the only media player currently installed on my HTPC (except for IE and Firefox browsers).

--max

)p(

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 12:57:54 am »

We have two dedicated htpc's running mc. One in our living room and one in our projection room.
(We dont used mc's tv functionality because we barely ever watch live tv and our cable company does not allow it.)

flac.rules

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 01:53:03 am »

I have a dedicated HTPC i use MC on. I also use it on my main computer and my laptop in addition.

vairulez

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 02:53:07 am »

that's also a yes for me.
my htpc is the only thing connected to my videoprojector, right now i still have to get out of theatreview to tag a few things, but once "fill properties from filename" works with auto import, i'll just have to drag files in the right folder and theaterview will just work as i want ...
HTPC : Dell workstation, windows 10, GT 1030, Lynx Two B
zone 1 : 2 Chevin Research Q6 + DIY speakers
zone 2 : Lake People G93 + HD650
zone 3 : 2 yamaha HS80M

Mars

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 03:09:14 am »

I voted Yes.

I have a dedicated HTPC with MC where most of the playback is done, basicaly Music (Audio & Music Videos), and rarely use the rest of Laptops for full track playback, just for testing samples.

However, I do most of the library managing is on the Laptops, not on the HTPC.

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 03:23:18 am »

I have only one computer, and it's connected to both my computer-monitor, and via HDMI to my TV.
I use Standard view on monitor and theaterview on my TV, and control the theaterview from couch with a remote.
This setup is working absolutely perfect.

Thomas

raldo

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 03:24:27 am »

I voted yes.

Server on WHS. Two HTPCs and a laptop for maintenance. I use standard view on the WHS box and maintenance laptop.

Video, music, images are always consumed via Theater View.

ferraris

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 04:14:45 am »

I have a HTPC with WMC connected to a WHS.  Thiinking about moving to MC but still confused about the server element of MC and on my main PC, where I've been tevaluating it, I've had some problems with the PC not sleeping again after it's nighlty backup which may or may not be related to MC.

Simon

csimon

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 04:46:49 am »

I voted No - I'm using MC as a server and prefer control and rendering (of audio) by other means.

However, I am playing around with Theater View using Splashtop as a rempote desktop on an iPad, but the MC PC is not connected to a TV!

fabien44

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 05:27:56 am »

Yes, i use MC16 only in HTPC mode (Theater View) in Wasapi mode to my Lynx L22 sound card.

Only 2 missing features to let me move to MC17:
- MDAPI plugin to manage my smart usb infinity subscribed card reader for pay DVB-T TV
- refresh smart playlists

Anyway, MC is very good product.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 05:54:58 am »

We have a PC with MC connected to 2 (out of three) tv's in the house.  We use laptops for watching tv/ videos anyplace else we happen to be (kitchen, office, etc).  We love this solution.  We have a tv in the family room and one in our bedroom and we can watch pretty much whatever we want.  If my wife wants work in the craft room on a project, she can use her laptop to watch tv while she is working.  This setup (using laptops) give us a lot of flexability to put viewing capability anywhere we need it without having tv's in every room.  There are some limitations, but I am hoping the recent push in the tv viewing area will help with this.

Alex

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 06:02:56 am »

I have normal laptop with hdmi connected my DAC which is connected projector... I do not need theater mode, I see text quite easily on 120" screen (and I do not use remote control...).
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 07:01:39 am »

And it's still 2 out of 3.   38 out of 56 say yes.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 07:09:25 am »

I think the most common setup for people is one or more HTPC front ends, and a workstation or two with MC for music perhaps. It's my bet at least.

This would be me. As others have said, I have one instance on my TV-connected HTPC whereby Theater View is really the only interface used; and another instance on my Laptop whereby Std view suffices perfectly.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 07:19:33 am »

I bought an Acer Aspire Revo 3700 as a audio server for MC, but also have it connected to my TV. I primarily use Theater View for the Media Slideshow while listening to music; I'd love to be able to use local folders to store images for the slideshow.  

I have ripped and watched a few movies with MC; it works well enough, though the admittedly underpowered Revo struggles a bit. I tried Netflix, but I prefer the interface my smart TV offers and use that instead. I use the Revo to watch web based streaming services (WatchESPN, etc) and it would be great to see these services better integrated into MC.

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 07:27:41 am »

I'm using it on two HTPCs (Theater View only) and my main PC in my study where
I rip media and maintain my library on a separate WHS v1.

I'm a lot like glynor, I don't use the tuners in my TVs, I use Beyond TV (installed on the server) for both live and recorded TV viewing, MC17 for everything else (DVDs, Blurays & music rips).

With the improvements in TV tuner use in v17, I'll be trying MC for TV soon, but I'm still sold on BTV's server/client architecture.  If I can get past the parsing, I'd be happy to leave BTV on the server as the "recording engine", and MC17 for playback & viewed file deletion.

MC is hands-down the best HTPC playback software for me (I'm a converted/reformed :) XBMC user)

I use Event Ghost and a Harmony remote to control all programs, the TVs, and the Receivers in all of my systems.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 07:56:53 am »

I've split a couple of posts to "HTPC Discussion".

Thanks for the detailed descriptions.

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 09:50:09 am »

My HTPC is the only device connected directly to an input on my TV.  It doesn't even have a coax cable, cable box, or any other devices attached.

MC is the primary media front-end I use for entertainment purposes.
The only real exception now is for Live TV viewing, for which I still use SageTV.

PS. Live TV basically only ever happens for Sports, and since I'm not a huge sportsball guy, and the Olympics aren't this year, and it isn't a World Cup year (I do like Soccer, as we call it here, but it is hard to follow closely here except for during the World Cup)... That basically only happens when my friends come over and say "Hey, turn on the X game."  So, I fire up Sage and ask what channel to put on.

I am really trying to make JR my only MC..  However, a few things are holding me back.  I use a unRAID server with three HTPC clients.  It would be nice if JR would break there client and server up into 2 apps.  Of course there would have to be a port to the linux NAS users out there (Take a look at Plex).  and leave the client app for the well, clients.  The other thing is - I JUST CAN'T the my head around how to work / manage / configure my movies and TV shows w/episodes.  Also the WOW factor and easy of use is not there as in XBMC with the multiple skins that are supported.   NOW for Audio - it's my one and only - I just love it for that.  

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 02:21:37 pm »

I have had MC on an HTPC for many, many years, primarily for music playback. It's always connected to my display but I rarely use Theater View except when I want to show off the system. Otherwise, I have a dedicated monitor on my coffee table and hope to replace it with some type of tablet device in the near future. To be honest the main reason I don't use theater view more often is because I have a plasma display and don't want to leave a mostly static display up for extended periods. For video I watch primarily BD and even when ripped to "movie only" size they still require a lot of HDD space for a collection of any appreciable size, so my preference is to burn them to disc and play them in a dedicated player. I do use MC to catalog and keep track the physical discs though.

pcstockton

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 02:50:09 pm »

Yes, but not for TV, Video or Pictures...  I use it exclusively as a large display for Theater and Standard Views while listening to music.  I use VLC for videos, DVD Player for DVDs, Picasa for pics, and a DVR Cable box for TV.  I find no need to lump everything into one program.  I typically do not like any swiss-army type products, whether software or otherwise.  I prefer to use what I find best (for me) for each.  One button on the Harmony remote takes care of switching between watching TV and listening to music.

It is kind of like the iPad vs Kindle debate.  I see see a place for each and no reason to not have both. 

Cheers!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

apgood

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Do you use MC on an HTPC?
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 03:39:24 pm »

I'd love to use MC on my HTC, but i haven't been able to work out how to get my bd iso's and mkv's to display in the one list in either theater view or standard. If someone showed me how to do that then i think i'd leave xbmc behind.

I think the title selection is great and means i can leave tmt etc behind.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 03:41:28 pm »

Yes, but not for TV, Video or Pictures...  I use it exclusively as a large display for Theater and Standard Views while listening to music.  I use VLC for videos, DVD Player for DVDs, Picasa for pics, and a DVR Cable box for TV.  I find no need to lump everything into one program.  I typically do not like any swiss-army type products, whether software or otherwise.  I prefer to use what I find best (for me) for each.  One button on the Harmony remote takes care of switching between watching TV and listening to music.

It is kind of like the iPad vs Kindle debate.  I see see a place for each and no reason to not have both. 

Cheers!
Patrick

I believe MC has surpassed VLC in the video department. Any reason why you still use it?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 03:49:16 pm »

I believe MC has surpassed VLC in the video department.

I would agree with this.  RO prime aim was to make video playback as easy and reliable as VLC but but add wider compatibility and a higher quality output.
JRiver CEO Elect

pcstockton

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2011, 06:01:29 pm »

I believe MC has surpassed VLC in the video department. Any reason why you still use it?

Pure habit I suppose.  I play all videos from folder lever with right-click context menu ("Play with VLC").  I dont need or use an imported "library" for video.  I barely have a need for VLC now.  Every once in awhile a friend will give me a TV Show or something in godknowswhat video codec.  I found VLC to always work without fail.  Most of the time Ive watched video on my PC it was a Netflix movie or a Blue Devils (SIC!!!!!) youtube video so no need for a player so to speak.

Also, I have two output devices.  The Juli@ send digi to my Naim DAC for my 2 channel pleasure. The M-Audio transit sends digi along to my Yamaha 5.1 receiver (along with my DVD player and Cable box).  MC is of course configured for ASIO to the Juli@.  I think I would need to switch MC's output every time I used it or video.  Not doing that.

Lastly, I really like keeping MC clean and tidy.  I have deleted just about everything I could that doesn't involve music/audio.  All views and "support" have been removed.  Theater view only shows Audio and Exit.  Clean.

Anyway.... if there is an easy way to toggle between two sound cards I will check out using MC as a video player as well.

Thx,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2011, 06:08:37 pm »

Anyway.... if there is an easy way to toggle between two sound cards I will check out using MC as a video player as well.

Thx,
Patrick

Just set up a Zone for each card...Works very well....
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

pcstockton

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2011, 06:11:08 pm »

thanks!!!  Now how to get those deleted views back ;)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2011, 07:30:02 pm »

I have my PC connected to the home theater (TV) via a PS3 using DLNA. This generally works OK but I cannot use Theater View with this configuration. For me it's hard to justify another PC set up as an HTPC just to get Theater View. If I'm missing a trick, please let me know.

pcstockton

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2011, 08:40:06 pm »

why not just directly connect your video card to the TV?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2011, 08:57:02 pm »

why not just directly connect your video card to the TV?

They are in different rooms. The PS3 is connected to the PC via a wireless network.

pcstockton

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2011, 01:18:50 am »

AHA!!!!!!!!!  i missed the obvious....

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Never fly the "A" model of anything...
Re: POLL: Do you use MC on an HTPC?
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2011, 08:11:21 pm »

Just picked up an ACER Revo-100 to connect to my Pioneer SC-27 via HDMI.  Output from that to my Paradigm Monitor series speakers and PRO-141FD Plasma display.

I was streaming using the DLNA on the SC-27, but figured I wasn't getting the full benefit of Media Center.  I was sold on the slick little slide out touchpad/keypad that the Revo has, hopefully it will work as advertised!

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: POLL: Do you use MC on an HTPC?
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2011, 09:36:24 pm »

I answered "Yes" but I'm actally between the first two... I use MC on my HTPC, which is indeed connected to a TV, but I only use MC for audio.  I've stuck with Windows Media Center for TV because it handles the simple stuff -- playing DVDs and watching and recording over-the-air television -- very well, and that's all the video functionality I need.

Also, I do not use theater view... I also have a computer monitor connected to the HTPC, and I use MC's regular view on it.  I control all of this with both a mouse/keyboard, and an infrared remote... depending on whether I'm sitting on the couch or at a chair in front of the computer monitor.

The whole setup works very well, and MC is definitely the most important part of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up