INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: internal audio processing  (Read 2881 times)

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
internal audio processing
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:34:49 pm »

Hi guys a quick question.
Does MC use it's 64bit internal processing for 2 channel audio when no volume, dsp, clip protection used?
The only processing I've got switched on, is converting all 16bit to 24bit output, as i have a USB dac that only accepts a 24 bit word-length.
What i'd like to know, does J River take a 16bit file, convert to 64bit then convert to 24bit when no other DSP or attenuation used in the chain?

Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: internal audio processing
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:56:07 pm »

All audio handling is 64-bit floating point, until a final down-mix to the specified output bit-depth.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:04:49 pm »

All audio handling is 64-bit floating point, until a final down-mix to the specified output bit-depth.

Thanks matt. It works very well...

A really nice feature for 17 would a direct mode button for 2 channel audio, that switches off all internal 64bit processing, dsps, clip protection etc. allowing ONLY the final bit output to be selected by the user. just a nice feature for the paranoid audiophiles with 2 channel hifi.. i think some of us would love this. hint hint
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 08:11:21 pm »

It doesn't matter if or how many million times audio gets converted from 16-bit or 24-bit to 64-bit and back.  All that matters is the final numbers delivered to the soundcard, and Media Center gets these perfect.

I even posted code proving this last time you were asking about this here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66713.msg447618#msg447618

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:23:14 pm »

I understand Matt, but there are some of us with different school of thought.
There is audiophile software player makers out there committed to what i'm requesting, and getting it right.  unfortunately these players don't have the music sorting capacity like j river.
It's about giving options even if you don't believe in them, we like them, and no numbers or specs will change that. just the way it is.
audiophiles don't see 1's and 0's, we hear timing.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:31:40 pm »

There is audiophile software player makers out there committed to what i'm requesting, and getting it right.

We're completely committed to delivering the highest possible audio quality.  And the current 64-bit audio engine does exactly that.

To put it bluntly, anyone trying to argue to the contrary doesn't understand how computers work.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 08:44:54 pm »

We're completely committed to delivering the highest possible audio quality.  And the current 64-bit audio engine does exactly that.

To put it bluntly, anyone trying to argue to the contrary doesn't understand how computers work.

Then why does WASAPI even style sound different to MANY people than normal WASAPI and ASIO? it's all bit perfect?
Why does a CD transport sending the same bit stream to a DAC via SPDIF sound VERY different to USB from a computer, it's all bit perfect. Why is the need for asych USB devices when adaptive does the same job? why is there obvious differences between USB cables? why does turning off CPU spread spectrum in my computer bios change the sound for the better? why do sound differences exist between different audio player software? Why does turning off CPU/hardware power management on my computer result in a more focused sound? Why have Hifi companies claimed and convinced people that different CD transports are better than others? it shouldn't be, it's all 1's, 0's right?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 08:49:47 pm »

So why don't you specify your method of going from 16 bit to 24 bit?  How do you imagine that happens?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 08:55:15 pm »

Ahhh but does someone who understand computers know how marketing works?  ;D  Last time on this topic we joked that you could charge a premium for a "Pure Direct" button in MC (I even have that button on my Yami amp and while I don't personally believe it is any "better" it is certainly "different").

Put a "Pure Direct" button into TheaterView under the "Audio" category and I bet many will argue that it is better.  It will also solve the discussion started by raym on a WAF way of outputting 2.0 when you have the DSP set to 5.1 for everything else.
JRiver CEO Elect

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 08:58:43 pm »

Ahhh but does someone who understand computers know how marketing works?  ;D  Last time on this topic we joked that you could charge a premium for a "Pure Direct" button in MC (I even have that button on my Yami amp and while I don't personally believe it is any "better" it is certainly "different").

Put a "Pure Direct" button into TheaterView under the "Audio" category and I bet many will argue that it is better.  It will also solve the discussion started by raym on a WAF way of outputting 2.0 when you have the DSP set to 5.1 for everything else.

i for one would want this, because, i believe, it will make a difference. a direct mode button that 'bypasses' internal processing and directly links decoded data directly to your 2ch very expensive hardware and hifi.. wow. i need that.... as long as i can still select 24bit at the end for my USB DAC.. audiophile options are very welcome.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:24 pm »

So why don't you specify your method of going from 16 bit to 24 bit?  How do you imagine that happens?

you don't need to convert 16bit to 64bit to get 24bit.
you do a straight 16 to 24bit without the third conversion..
it's about getting the data direct from point A to point B the quickest and shortest way.
Is impossible for 5.1 downmixing, but for 2 channel, very easy and simple

DarkPenguin

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 09:20:03 pm »

you don't need to convert 16bit to 64bit to get 24bit.
you do a straight 16 to 24bit without the third conversion..
it's about getting the data direct from point A to point B the quickest and shortest way.
I'm curious how you do that with an intel cpu without bouncing to 64 bit or at least 32 bit.  I don't recall any 24 bit registers.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 09:33:29 pm »

I'm curious how you do that with an intel cpu without bouncing to 64 bit or at least 32 bit.  I don't recall any 24 bit registers.

we are talking about 24bit audio output. not cpu. an audio data stream of 24bit word length. minimizing the processing and latency between point A and point B is the request.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 09:51:43 pm »

we are talking about 24bit audio output. not cpu. an audio data stream of 24bit word length. minimizing the processing and latency between point A and point B is the request.
To quote from above "To put it bluntly, anyone trying to argue to the contrary doesn't understand how computers work."

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 10:13:35 pm »

To quote from above "To put it bluntly, anyone trying to argue to the contrary doesn't understand how computers work."

yes, that's second time it's posted now. very clever.
The 20 years working with, and building over 10 rock solid, problem free computers for scratch, electrically and software modifying them, makes me a candidate of not understanding computers.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 10:19:55 pm »

yes, that's second time it's posted now. very clever.
The 20 years working with, and building over 10 rock solid, problem free computers for scratch, electrically and software modifying them, makes me a candidate of not understanding computers.

Okay.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 04:12:16 am »

Did you think of trying DLNA for transporting ? It does exactly what you ask for. No DSPs, no windows driver at all. You even get a guarantee that all the bits arrives thanks to the TCP/IP protocol.
My favorite weak link is the s/pdif connection. I blame that for most sound quality degration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up