INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is SageTV?  (Read 5411 times)

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What is SageTV?
« on: November 11, 2011, 10:41:35 am »

Could someone give me the dummy guide to SageTV? I went to their website but all it says is that they've been acquired by Google.

Is it just software? Do I need a cable subscription to use it? A special capture cards or other hardware?

Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: What is SageTV?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 04:48:15 pm »

Could someone give me the dummy guide to SageTV? I went to their website but all it says is that they've been acquired by Google.

Is it just software? Do I need a cable subscription to use it? A special capture cards or other hardware?

Thanks.

It was PVR software.  Like WMC or MythTV or one of those.

It doesn't really matter what it is, though, because it isn't available for sale anymore.  Google is killing it like they always do to their acquisitions.  I suspect they may have wanted some code and/or talent for a future Google TV product.

It used to be that MC's TV support was quite behind products like Sage.  I don't think we're there anymore, though, so I'd try out what MC has to offer.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 09:15:51 pm »

It doesn't really matter what it is, though, because it isn't available for sale anymore.  Google is killing it like they always do to their acquisitions.  I suspect they may have wanted some code and/or talent for a future Google TV product.

I think it's premature to call it dead.  Whether the thing that rises will be useful to the HTPC community is still (very much) TBD, but I wouldn't count them out until we see something.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:15:45 pm »

I think it's premature to call it dead.  Whether the thing that rises will be useful to the HTPC community is still (very much) TBD, but I wouldn't count them out until we see something.

That is certainly the optimistic view.

I hope so.
Based on Google's previous track record?  I wouldn't bet on it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 12:22:51 pm »

That is certainly the optimistic view.

I know :)

Based on Google's previous track record?  I wouldn't bet on it.

Jeff is still with them and he's working on something (unfortunately he won't tell me what :)); I have to believe that whatever their building it is in-line with his vision for this space.  If he was just looking to cash out I don't think he would have staid, and based on several interactions with him I don't think he's the kind of guy that would willfully let Google euthanize SageTV. 

SageTV's biggest strength is their DVR codebase, so I'm expecting something there.  My fear is that whatever plops out when their done will be too focused on mainstream consumers to be personally useful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up