INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CORRECT set up of server-client for home use on 3/4 pc's  (Read 2699 times)

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
CORRECT set up of server-client for home use on 3/4 pc's
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:08:08 am »

Having just taken the update plunge from MC15 to BetaMC17 v.17.0.31 and loaded onto 3 of the pC's here (will leave remaining son's & laptop until solved this issue).

I have attempted setting of "server/client's" with no success yet.
NOTE all previous versions  MC10-15 were successful

Present system like this......Synology server-to hold files - 1pc for server of MC - then other household [or portable for laptop] as clients.The server will play.

When utilising MC17>Tools>Options>Media Network [as before] there was a use of an access key box.
It doesn't appear to exist in MC17 and I cannot see if any server is running.....consequently in turning on any client it cannot see any server [obviously not set up correctly and have NO access key provided with reg code].
Media Network is not as before and online instructions do not direct correctly for set up procedure.

Could you please help before I load onto my sons pc upstairs.

Thank you for any help provided

geoff

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
Re: CORRECT set up of server-client for home use on 3/4 pc's
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:22:26 am »

There are a couple ways to get your client to 'see' the server, but if you want to use the access code.  Here is how I do it:

1 - On the server, go to Tools|Options|Media Network
2 - Make sure 'Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA' is checked (honestly, not sure if this is requried, but I think it is).
3 - Write down the access key that is shown. (It is the next line below the 'Use Media Network...')

4 - On the client, go to File|Library|Library Manager
5 - Add Library
6 - Enter a name for your library (Optional)
7 - Select 'Library Server' and enter the access key from step 3 above

Now, you may want to enable authentication, but that is optional.  The steps above will allow you to connect to your server.

I hope this helps,

Alex

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:36:47 am »

Authentication might be needed for synchronization if I remember correctly.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:14:38 am »

Mreapool,

Yep thats exactly as I remember it on MC 10-15  so thats what I was looking for

BUT

on doing what you suggested..[with or without Use Media Network etc box checked].it does not show Access key in line below.

When selecting the access key :Click for access from another Media Center  etc  check box  a message comes up saying  following:

"Library Server has failed to start.Double-check that the configured port is not already in use and that your firewall software is not blocking it."

a check confirms nothing is but it still is not giving me the access code os i can follow the instructions you provided???

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:26:10 am »

Ok, it looks like I misunderstood your problem.  There are a few reasons why you aren't getting an access key. Here is a link that may help - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67043.0

it sounds like you had this working in MC15, so I am not sure what may have changed.  It may be a firewall setting because MC17 is not the same program as MC15 and depending on how your firewall is configured, it may not be letting traffic for MC17 through.  I am just guessing though.

I have not tried generating an access key in MC17, so there may be an issue there, but try the suggestions in that thread. 

Alex

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:10:26 am »

Mreapool,

I followed your link....confuzzling for me..HOWEVER, not sure how  "other than temporraily disabling firewalls on the server & one of the clients" but I managed to get an access key code   [xxxxxb] .

Then typing that , as you suggested , into the client....it still wont see the server.
Its (server) is suggesting it is using port 5199 - trying anyway)...whereas Jim says 80 is the one.

I don't know whether this helps , but in loading MC15 it has  a different access key and a slightly different port.....192.168.1.100.52199

the MC15 works perfectly well....it needed NO configuration in my router or built in windows firewall.

Im at  a loss to understand why MC17 will not configure to be used for anything other than a server....not as a server???

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:35:54 am »

Then typing that , as you suggested , into the client....it still wont see the server.
Its (server) is suggesting it is using port 5199 - trying anyway)...whereas Jim says 80 is the one.

I don't know whether this helps , but in loading MC15 it has  a different access key and a slightly different port.....192.168.1.100.52199

You can customize the TCP port you want to use in the Advanced settings (it appears once you check Use Media Network). Try setting MC17 to use port 52199.

You might also want to edit the access key out of your previous post  ;)

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 10:55:44 am »

I believe the default port is 52199.  Make sure that the server is set to that and all clients are using it.

I would also disable the firewall on the client and the server as a temporary measure to get things working.

The basics of this process are pretty simple. 

Have you tried testing the connection to the internet from the server.  Click on the ... next to the access key in options and validate that the server can reach the internet (it should since you have a access key)

If the server can reach the internet, then there is something not right on the client. 

Alex

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 10:56:35 am »

thankyou for suggesting to remove access key.

However I'm going round in circles here with NO progress.

Would it be fair to Say that MC17 is too complex to set up as a household server/client and perhaps it would be best to uninstall it completely and to stay with the MC15 which has been without any problem's for 2 years + now.

I would have to ask for a return of money, and it would be a shame as Ive been using MC exclusively for at least 8 years now.

If anyone can help any further it would be much appreciated.

thankyou

Geoff

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 11:05:06 am »

Make sure that all instances of the MC15 media server have been disabled on startup.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 11:05:24 am »

eapool's advice is good.  Reporting where it is failing would help.

The firewall on one or both machines is my guess.  You need to allow access for MC.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 11:14:51 am »

I think the client/ server setup in MC17 is the same as MC15.  I have used both and I don't think they have changed the model much (if at all).  I use the access key to setup clients in my house (we have 4 clients plus 2 phones running gizmo) and we don't have any problems.  Firewalls and port forwarding are the two areas that I would check.

Alex

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 11:20:12 am »

OK eapool/JimH.......@ present I am using my server [W7] and one of my desktops clients [XP Pro]

Both firewall,s disabled.  eek

message on server
... Access key:xxxxb  test connection to server:

xxxxb
Library server NOT reachable from

internet,but yes local internet

to use server from other pc's on local

network, select it in the tree (playing

now>playing from) and click "load

library".
To make this server accessible from

internet, youll probably need to configure

routers port fwd to allow incoming access

on port 52199.

on client:
when adding library  [ i assume client] it asks for access code....then fails loading...attmepted retry does not work.

I repeat this has never been an isuse with MC15 or less.

?

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 11:33:51 am »

Library server NOT reachable from

internet,

There is the problem.  Your server is not reachable from the internet.  I am not 100% sure about how the access key works, but I have a pretty good idea - the access key is stored on a JRiver server somewhere and it corressponds to a internet 'path' to your server.  Since your server is not reachable from the internet, the client can't reach it.  In fact, since the MC on the server can't reach the internet, the access key may not have even been registered.

I am not sure why your server is not reachable from the internet.  Something is blocking MC17 and port 52199.  Did you know what port was being used in MC15?

Alex

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 11:35:24 am »

:)  OK problem possibly solved.............not sure why the Access key to begin with wasnt accessible, but as you saw in conversation that was cured.

Then a further look at the Access key once I had it meant digit trouble on my part (I have MS   and typing is rather problematic @ times).

Anyway now I see thta it works on 2 of the clients in here so I can load it onto my 2 sons pc's with confidence.

As an aside , having read JimH's comments in this forum, would I be right in assuming you are going to try and solve the iPod talkability with MC17....this would be a big + and to be fair ,the reason I have gone for MC17....in that @ present the only way to copy any music to my wifes iPod is by longwinded conversion from my FLAC files to a usable iPod file type.

Thanking you for your help as always, and look forward to further funtime with MC17.

cheers

geoff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 01:37:28 pm »

There is the problem.  Your server is not reachable from the internet.  I am not 100% sure about how the access key works, but I have a pretty good idea - the access key is stored on a JRiver server somewhere and it corressponds to a internet 'path' to your server.  Since your server is not reachable from the internet, the client can't reach it.  In fact, since the MC on the server can't reach the internet, the access key may not have even been registered.

No.  Not true.  MC uses an outbound connection on port 80 (same as web browsing) to register with our server.  After that, the test tells you whether our server can access your library from the Internet.  This is only required if you want to stream your tunes when you're away from home.  It is NOT required to use MC on two machines locally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up