INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Bunch Of Ripped DVDs No Longer Play  (Read 1931 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
A Bunch Of Ripped DVDs No Longer Play
« on: November 12, 2011, 06:56:56 pm »

We have a whole bunch of ripped DVDs that wont play any more in MC. Keep getting error "Failed to open or parse file  hr=0x80004005." Others play fine.

We have an old version of TMT that came with our HDPVR so I tried playing them in that. They all do!

Have attached log file for one of them. Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Rod

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: A Bunch Of Ripped DVDs No Longer Play
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 07:16:37 pm »

I saw this too last night. Some that were ifo files played fine. Ones with the .dvd suffix did not. I couldn't even get MC to hand off these to MPC or TMT5. My testing of the filetype correlation was by no means exhaustive, though.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 07:21:38 pm »

I saw this too last night. Some that were ifo files played fine. Ones with the .dvd suffix did not. I couldn't even get MC to hand off these to MPC or TMT5. My testing of the filetype correlation was by no means exhaustive, though.

It's so nice to know that I'm not alone! But actually sorry to hear that you are also having a problem.

Thanks,
Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 07:46:04 pm »

FWIW all of mine that I've checked have suffix   movie name\video_ts\video_ts.dvd;1

That's for those that play and those that don't.

Rod

rjm

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:59:38 pm »

Just a guess but select one and update library from tags. Then try to play it.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:16:46 pm »

Just a guess but select one and update library from tags. Then try to play it.

Hi rjm,

Very interesting! These ripped DVDs weren't in the library. I was trying to play them from their folder on an external USB drive looking at it in 'Drives & Devices'. So I tried importing a couple of them into the library and they play. Great!

I'm sure I have played music from files that way that wasn't in the library, but I guess it doesn't work with DVDs.

Just keep learning new stuff here. If I just wouldn't forget the old stuff it would sure be better though!

So thanks a bunch on the Library tip. Big relief knowing I don't have to rip them all.

Rod

rjm

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 08:20:34 pm »

There is a known problem in Windows Vista that prevents dvds from being played from USB drives. I do not know if the problem exists in Windows 7. Windows XP works fine.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 08:24:28 pm »

There is a known problem in Windows Vista that prevents dvds from being played from USB drives. I do not know if the problem exists in Windows 7. Windows XP works fine.

Ours is Win 7. And once I 'Imported' them they played fine from our USB hard drive. At least the 2 I tested.

Rod

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 12:57:23 am »

Mine were all in my library, on a networked drive Some play, some give the error in the original post.

upp3rd0g

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 05:15:51 pm »

[old-topic]

I have the same problem reported here, unable to play dvd (from network location), parse error 0x80004005, using MC17.0.147. I don't import movies into JRiver, I just play them using Explorer. VLC plays just fine. For JRiver MediaCenter to work I need copy over the files to my local harddrive.

Any explanation/fix for this? I searched Google + this forum but could not find a real solution (besides copying over the dvd, or importing the dvd into the media-library (not sure if that really works?))
[/old-topic]

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 08:52:43 pm »

[old-topic]

I have the same problem reported here, unable to play dvd (from network location), parse error 0x80004005, using MC17.0.147. I don't import movies into JRiver, I just play them using Explorer. VLC plays just fine. For JRiver MediaCenter to work I need copy over the files to my local harddrive.

Any explanation/fix for this? I searched Google + this forum but could not find a real solution (besides copying over the dvd, or importing the dvd into the media-library (not sure if that really works?))
[/old-topic]

Mine work fine with no problems.  All my DVD's are in the libray on my server, so you might want to import them.     

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 09:49:23 am »

What is an example DVD filename (path + name) you're trying to play that doesn't work?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up