INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Cover Art Issues  (Read 1450 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
2 Cover Art Issues
« on: November 13, 2011, 02:47:12 pm »

I have 2 cover art issues...

One stems from when I download music from a certain source. When I import the music, it uses the same cover art for all of the files (the cover for my album, Cowboy Junkies "Whites Off Earth Now") It seems to be a completely arbitrary/random cover art selection. If I select the files and then "Get from internet..." it does find the correct cover art, but I find this to be very strange behavior. And sometimes, if at quick glance see there is already cover art, I will skip past it and only catch it later when I'm playing the music and the Cowboy Junkies album appears.

The 2nd cover art issue comes from TV series. I have about 20 shows represented and MC17 finds the cover art for these shows. However, when I assign them and give it the okay, I still just see screencaps from the particular files making theater view browsing fairly poor.

PrometheanFire

Re: 2 Cover Art Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:18:28 pm »

The album art will usually be whatever the provider has included, I don’t think MC has the ability to judge if the album art provided is correct or incorrect, so if a file has cover art whatever it is, it stays. You might want to reevaluate your choice of music sources, some sources are far more thoroughly tagged than others.

I’ve had a somewhat similar problem album covers. The automatic album cover lookup is woefully incorrect for my collection, for the longest time I didn’t pay attention that there’s an option for importing folders is “get cover art” which is on by default. For whatever reason using that setting automatically attached incorrect low-quality cover pictures, usually from an unrelated artist, to all music files which did not have album covers. Using the “get from internet” yielded the same results as the automatic lookup for my files. This has doubled my tagging workload since I have to hunt down and manually remove thousands of incorrect covers while still manually tagging files. I’ve resorted to individually googling and attaching the album art which is time-intensive.

I’ve been looking at options to this time consuming process and a preliminary search yielded this site: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-ultimate-guide-to-fixing-your-music-collection/

I might have to resort to the use of an additional program to more precisely download album art.

If you find a good solution or strategy let me know.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:22:41 pm »

I’ve had a somewhat similar problem album covers. The automatic album cover lookup is woefully incorrect for my collection,
That's often the case with classical music, which everyone seems to name differently, making a lookup not likely to succeed.  If it's anything else, please give a few examples.  Our cover art system is pretty solid.

for the longest time I didn’t pay attention that there’s an option for importing folders is “get cover art” which is on by default. For whatever reason using that setting automatically attached incorrect low-quality cover pictures,

That's not MC doing it.  Are you using WMP or Windows Home Server 2011?  They both do that.
usually from an unrelated artist, to all music files which did not have album covers.
MC will use a jpg file if it's found with your tracks.  Check what you have in the directory.

John57

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 07:30:06 pm »

Is there a way to chance the default search engine for finding cover art on the web? Windows Media Player finds cover art far better than MC can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up