INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest and greatest to sync iPhone on Mac?  (Read 1025 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Latest and greatest to sync iPhone on Mac?
« on: November 13, 2011, 03:52:30 pm »

I run Media Center within Virtual Box (which is launched as a library client) on a MacBook Pro.  What are the best ways to synchronize my music to my iPhone?  In the past I have synced to a network drive and then imported these within iTunes.  Unfortunately, syncing to a network drive from within VirtualBox seems to fail miserably because MC attempts to re-copy all files each time.

Whatever approach I settle on, I am hoping it allows for maximum flexibility and requires minimal effort.  Quite a bit to ask, unfortunately.  Any thoughts?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Latest and greatest to sync iPhone on Mac?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:16:11 am »

Which side of the VirtualBox are you running iTunes on? (Which OS will you be under running the iPhone sync)...

I use Parallels to run MC17 as a library client, and it works great.

I currently use MC17 on the library server to do what you've done in the past (maintain a separate library for my Macintosh--the iTunes library local on the Mac, the files on my NAS). I sync my iPhone with this library on the Mac.

However, I ALSO maintain an iTunes library on my main MC Library Server machine--using MCiTS (see the 3rd Party Board for much more on MC/iTunes Synchronizer). I'm evaluating whether the use of iCloud will allow me to make my iPhone more platform agnostic--where I can maintain my 'info' on the Mac with the tools I know, yet sync my media off the Windows machine to cut some steps out of my toolchain.... (eg. I'll use MC for playback, tagging, etc.; use MCiTS to mirror the library on the windows machine; use Windows iTunes to perform the iPhone sync.)

I don't know VirtualBox, but perhaps your syncing will work better if you have the "Play local files" option enabled on your MC Library Client AND you make sure you have your network drive(s) fully mapped to VirtualBox? (I use mapped drives in Parallels instead of UNC paths)....?

brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up