INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio "Camp B"  (Read 2314 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Audio "Camp B"
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »

There are two camps with regards to audio quality:
A) The original is perfect, and all processing is bad processing
B) Good sound is the goal, and sometimes processing can help
[edit -- after thinking more, there's also a C) Processing can be good, but I want to do it in my external hardware because, well, it was expensive]

Great audio discussion threads today, very interesting reading with tons of new information.

In regards to the audio quality camps, I think a lot of people start "Camp A" and move to "Camp B" (spending a lot of money in Camp C in the process.

I'd love to use the current feature set of Media Center to reach a "better campsite" for Camp B. If there was a way to use active software room correction with the parametric EQ, I think a lot more audiophiles and audio nuts would use the DSP features of MC. I'm a two channel user, so I don't have Audessy Room Correction or other hardware equalizers in my integrated amp. But still, there is a lot of room for improvement in getting flat response out of my speakers.

Jmone wrote about his big subwoofer blowout  competition that utilized a third-party microphone software that could measure room response with an SPL meter. Could this work for 2-channel as well?

In any case, I'd love to learn how to use the parametric EQ better and what has worked for others in terms of room acoustic correction. Right now I just stab in the dark, running from couch to MC and back playing with settings!

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
Re: Audio "Camp B"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:39:02 am »

Camp D)

The original is perfect but external processing WILL help :)

By which I mean it's important to start with the original stream (not compressed or altered in any way) but that the room needs to be "treated" in order to hear that perfect recording.

I use TacT digital room correction in my main hi-fi and Meridian Room Correction in my multichannel cinema. 

Most of my MC listening is via headphones so I don't need room correction there :D

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 02:15:23 am »

I am also in camp B), I think it would help a bit when it comes to camp B) with a bit more information about the processing. I don't mean trade-secrets, or algorithms, but just a bit information on what acoustical principals are used. For instance for upmixing. Now not even rudimentary information is available.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 02:19:08 am »

Camp A here, and no chance of moving. With Ayre and ATC equipment, any processing done, will sound through like nails down a blackboard.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 03:05:59 am »

To me MC is the whole camp ground, and should be able to cater for Camp A, B, C, or D.  To enable this we could have various DSP and selectable DSP settings that can be assigned by MC's Media Type, Sub Type or even by track (eg via the existing Playback Info field).  In such a scenario you could config various DSP settings including "Pure Direct" and then as the user decide when and how you want it applied.  

I'm a "Camp B" by my nature but I do appreciate that it would be good to wander over and see how Camp A (etc) do it from time to time.  I could imagine sitting with Blane78, sharing a beer/wine (or worse) listening to the purity on unmolested RedBook Audio outputted over his 10watt tube amp in my Tie Died tee shirt then back to the technos in Camp B with their Linkwitz Tansform Parametric Equalizer (this is already an MC Option!) and discussing the merits of their high tech ferrofluid-cooled beryllium tweeters.  Next on the trip is Mark_H's pad with a media room that looks like a professional Anechoic Chamber (see pic), or whacking on a pair of electrostatic headphones.

Ever noticed that the most memorable bottles of wine is that with good company?  I think music is the same where you need to be comfortable with the entire environment.....just please don't try to convince me to spend $21K for 3 metres of “Counter Spiralling Geometry” and “Spread Spectrum Technology” speaker cables but I'm happy to kick back and enjoy the experience if you provide the drinks!
JRiver CEO Elect

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 03:09:41 am »

Camp E) original is great, but I can't tell the difference between a 50mb flac file and a 7mb quality mp3 rip, so I just go with the smaller files.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 03:30:30 am »

wine/beer, good hi-fi and good music.. now that's what life is all about :)

Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 03:45:31 am »

Camp E) original is great, but I can't tell the difference between a 50mb flac file and a 7mb quality mp3 rip, so I just go with the smaller files.

You are truly blessed and go with what works!  I did a quick audition for these puppies but while I'm sure they were great value at $495K (plus the electronics to drive them) they were just a bit big for my room!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 03:55:41 am »

The mfr describes them as "When the music is soft, the sounds caress your skin. When it changes into a powerful fortissimo,the listener will be swept away to the epitome of joy", my quote was more "F!#K Me"  better pic below
JRiver CEO Elect

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 04:12:42 am »

I've met a hifi seller guy here in Australia, that has those babies in his shop. HUGE!! unfortunately never got a chance to hear them.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 04:29:45 am »

Let me guess....Len Wallis Audio...
JRiver CEO Elect

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 04:39:26 am »

Let me guess....Len Wallis Audio...

nope, was a small shop in bondi junction about 1 and a half years ago, i can't remember the name of the store..

jgreen

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 09:40:57 am »

Camp A-a:  The original is perfect, and all processing is bad "if I request no processing".

Camp B-a:  Good sound is "usually" the goal, and processing always helps this, but sometimes accurate sound is the goal, because the processing is being done elsewhere (and maybe can't be undone); even as far dowstream as the analog realm (go ahead and un-process your living room).

Camp C-a:  Just as soon as JRiver starts making living rooms, they can preconfigure all the processing. 

In the meantime, what's needed is:  MC's current, pristine data path (easy); a new button, for us button-pushers (not too difficult); and a somewhat more attitude-agnostic approach to buttons in general--after all they're only buttons. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 11:20:35 am »

and a somewhat more attitude-agnostic approach to buttons in general--after all they're only buttons. 

The buttons started it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up