INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failed to open or parse file. (hr=0x80004005) - FIXED!  (Read 16450 times)

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
Failed to open or parse file. (hr=0x80004005) - FIXED!
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:09:28 am »

I have brought this up before, so - to reiterate:

Several of my Blu-ray films are now simply denied playback after I converted to MC17, the message being:

Something went wrong with playback.

Details:
Failed to open or parse file. (hr=0x80004005)

What does this mean? Obviously there's not much sense in using MC17 if I can't play back a bunch of my films, which all of them played just fine with MC16.

I would at least appreciate this being noticed by the MC team.

EDIT: Sorry for sounding like an ungrateful bastard; I truly love the JRiver player, and what it provides in ace quality audio/visual playback. Sometimes my temper just flies off when issues like these pop up, and being unable to play several films is quite an issue, as I see it.

Thanks for the great job with JRiver MC, folks. I hope the above will be looked into...

---

EDIT(as of Nov. 19): At least the few Blu-ray films (played directly from disc) I've been able to try out after build .038, that were earlier problematic, are now playable. Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Failed to open or parse file. (hr=0x80004005)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:56:46 am »

Which build are you using?  17.0.33 is available at the top of the MC17 board.

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:15:11 am »

Which build are you using?  17.0.33 is available at the top of the MC17 board.

I'm using that very build - 0.33. Same issue as with earlier incarnations of MC17.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:22:24 am »

Are you playin ISO's?  MC won't do that natively.

How were they ripped?

What happens if you try to play a disc?

Do you have ANYDVD HD installed?

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:41:49 am »

Are you playin ISO's?  MC won't do that natively.

How were they ripped?

What happens if you try to play a disc?

Do you have ANYDVD HD installed?

What's "ISO's"?

Don't rip my Blu-ray's; they're played from disc directly. Is ripping them and playing them from the harddrive a favorable option over disc-directly, for some reason?

ANYDVD HD installed - lifetime upgradable version.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:55:42 am »

Is it all discs?  Or just one?  Did you try updating ANYDVD?

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 11:16:42 am »

Is it all discs?  Or just one?  Did you try updating ANYDVD?

So far I've found 5-7 discs/films, and if memory serves me right I believe they're all VC-1 encoded. I have over 150 Blu-ray's, so it's hard to tell how many more may be "infected."

I use the latest ANYDVD HD update, 6.8.8.0

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 11:20:03 am »

So far I've found 5-7 discs/films, and if memory serves me right I believe they're all VC-1 encoded. I have over 150 Blu-ray's, so it's hard to tell how many more may be "infected."

I use the latest ANYDVD HD update, 6.8.8.0
So some discs play and others don't.  That sounds like a problem with the DRM.

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 11:23:18 am »

So some discs play and others don't.  That sounds like a problem with the DRM.

And what is "DRM"?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 01:42:17 pm »

Jim, I'm seeing the same for a lot of DVD rips too. They all used to play fine. nwboater is seeing the same thing.

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 02:03:08 pm »

Can you send a log file after the playback failure to johnt at jriver dot com?
Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 02:07:52 pm »

Can you send a log file after the playback failure to johnt at jriver dot com?
Thanks.

Sure. I'm at work right now, so will try tonight. I did notice something interesting, however. The files that do not play, have no information under "compression", or "fps" and updating library from tags has no effect on these. All the rips that do not play are movies with one main feature - TV show DVDs ALL seem to play fine. Weird.
Reimporting a VIDEO_TS folder doesn't change anything.

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 02:28:01 pm »

The fact that the problem files are the ones without the extra info does sound pertinent to the problem.  Hopefully the log files will shed some light on it.  Otherwise I may need to put some more debugging statements in.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 02:46:05 pm »

I connected to a home HTPC using logmein.
I reset the log.
Tried a failed movie DVD rip.
Tried a successful TV show DVD rip.
Saved log.
Sent you log.

Thanks!

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 07:33:19 pm »

Jim, I'm seeing the same for a lot of DVD rips too. They all used to play fine. nwboater is seeing the same thing.

Mine are okay now. I was trying to play them from a USB hard drive and they were not imported to the library. Once I got them in the library they played fine. I explained that in the thread that I originally brought up the problem in.

Good luck with yours.

Rod

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 03:46:31 pm »

JohnT - I got your message. I did as you asked. No success. I sent a log again, so do check your junk mail! :)

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 08:53:07 am »

For some reason, I didn't receive your last email, and yes I checked the junk mail folder :)
Please send it again, or just look at the log file in an editor and search for the text "Failed attempting to open file:" and copy and paste just that line.  I'm curious what filename it's trying to open, it's possible the file extension is getting mangled.
Thanks!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 10:29:41 am »

I re-sent the email. Here is the relevant line:

0014898: 8128: Playback: DShowVideoGraph::ConnectSourceAndSplitter: Failed attempting to open file: R:\Closer DVD\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.dvd
0014898: 8128: Playback: DShowVideoGraph::ConnectSourceAndSplitter: Failed to open or parse file.  (hr=0x80004005)
0014898: 8128: Playback: DShowVideoGraph::ConnectSourceAndSplitter: Finish (437 ms)
0014898: 8128: Playback: DShowVideoGraph::Render: Error: source / splitter did not expose output pins.

Like I had noticed elsewhere - .ifo filetypes work, but the ones that fail are .dvd

I forgot to add that I'm using an nVidia card and RO HQ, with hardware acceleration on if any of that makes any difference.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 11:19:08 am »

Thanks for the log.

The problem is simple, but we don't understand the explanation.

When it says processing play
R:\Alien III - Alien 3 Extras DVD\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.dvd

It should be saying .ifo instead of .dvd at that point.

Is the file 'R:\Alien III - Alien 3 Extras DVD\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.ifo' there?  Can you think of any reason why Media Center wouldn't be able to find it?

If you look at a full log after a restart, you might look for CFileSystemManager in the log to see if it's unhappy about the R:\ drive for any reason.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 12:30:08 pm »

Thanks for the log.

Is the file 'R:\Alien III - Alien 3 Extras DVD\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.ifo' there?  Can you think of any reason why Media Center wouldn't be able to find it?

If you look at a full log after a restart, you might look for CFileSystemManager in the log to see if it's unhappy about the R:\ drive for any reason.

Thanks.

Hey Matt,
I also had this problem.  It happened when I moved from MC15 to v16.

When I looked at my library, many of the "info" files showed what looked like an alias - the .dvd extension instead of a .ifo extension.  This even showed in Windows Explorer when looking at the same files.

I basically started over with an empty library, then:
1) using the import function first, I imported everything in my video drive
2) using get properties from filename I corrected the tags

This flushed the .dvd extensions out of my library & killed the parsing errors.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 12:44:05 pm »

It's correct for the library to use .dvd.  We call this a 'media aggregate'.  There are lots of files that make up a DVD or BD disc, and one aggregate entry in the database represents all the files.

But at playback time, the .dvd file should be converted to a real .ifo file.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 03:32:00 pm »

Thanks for the log.

Thanks.

Thank you, Matt
The R:\ Drive is just a mapped folder from  one or more physical drives of 20 in my unraid server. IIRC the IFO files may be missing from these folders but I have no idea why. I will check to see if this is the case and report back. Since i'm upgrading most of my files to BluRay anyway, it's not a huge loss if I did something to accidentally lose all the IFO files. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a bug in MC that was slipping through. I can always re-rip the DVDs from the original discs.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 03:48:43 pm »

IIRC the IFO files may be missing from these folders but I have no idea why.

We can't play a DVD without the main IFO file.

I actually think the existence of the IFO is how Media Center decides it is a DVD (vs just naked VOB files that aren't part of a DVD).

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 03:57:34 pm »

We can't play a DVD without the main IFO file.

I actually think the existence of the IFO is how Media Center decides it is a DVD (vs just naked VOB files that aren't part of a DVD).

I understand that, Matt. I am trying to think what could have happened in recent weeks that resulted in this. I did do a blanket removal of the last 7 characters from all my movies if the ended in a year like this: (xxxx)
In the past I was very careful about how I named/renamed my DVD rips within MC, as I think it would just rename/move the IFO file and not all the others in the folder. Perhaps something I did has moved the IFO files out of the main folder.

In any case, I will do some investigations. Thanks a lot to you and John for pointing the problem back at me rather than MC. Like I said, if I cannot fix it, it's not the end of the world.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 09:32:21 pm »

I've found a way to fix the problem consistently. The files that won't play were of the [filetype] = dvd. First I had to change all of them to ifo. Then, I have to manually go into the VIDEO_TS folder and change the extension from .dvd to .IFO.

Just doing one of the steps doesn't work. I have no idea when this started to happen, but it was fairly recent or in late MC16, I guess. I now don't believe I did anything to precipitate this, unless it was done long ago and didn't cause playback to break at the time.

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 08:12:23 am »

I've found a way to fix the problem consistently. The files that won't play were of the [filetype] = dvd. First I had to change all of them to ifo. Then, I have to manually go into the VIDEO_TS folder and change the extension from .dvd to .ifo.

Just doing one of the steps doesn't work. I have no idea when this started to happen, but it was fairly recent or in late MC16, I guess. I now don't believe I did anything to precipitate this, unless it was done long ago and didn't cause playback to break at the time.

This is what I was trying to describe in my post above.  I thought you had somehow deleted the .ifo files and had some other problem.

After switching from v15 to 16, this started happening to me also.  I realized some of my movies still had .ifo files in their directories, and these would play.  But most of the .ifo files had been changed to the .dvd extension and would not play.  For some reason, I thought MC was forcing Win XP to display these .ifo extensions with an .dvd alias (silly, I know) when instead, it had simply changed the filenames to the .dvd extension.

Again, what did it for me was starting with an empty library (obviously not necessary) and somehow triggering a mass name change that put the file extensions back to the .ifo type.

Since that library re-build I always Import the ripped movies first, then tag them using Fill Properties From File Names, and I haven't had the problem since.

I realize now that my first post in this thread was misleading.  The problem actually appears to be the actual extension name change and what triggers it. 

My experience with this involves:
1) Inadvertently triggering the MC program to change .ifo extensions to .dvd extensions when importing movies into MC16 (this could be a bug, or an easily made operator error of some sort).
2) The second unplanned mass filename change that put my .dvd extensions back to .ifo extensions.

The thing that leaves me baffled is how I triggered the problem and the fix.  I haven't tried to use MC's Rename, Move, & Copy Files function ever...

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 05:07:44 pm »

Thanks! I did miss your post entirely for some reason. It's a mystery how or why this happened, but there it is. I'll try the filling in properties from filename thing on a couple to see if that works for me.

This is what I was trying to describe in my post above.  I thought you had somehow deleted the .ifo files and had some other problem.

After switching from v15 to 16, this started happening to me also.  I realized some of my movies still had .ifo files in their directories, and these would play.  But most of the .ifo files had been changed to the .dvd extension and would not play.  For some reason, I thought MC was forcing Win XP to display these .ifo extensions with an .dvd alias (silly, I know) when instead, it had simply changed the filenames to the .dvd extension.

Again, what did it for me was starting with an empty library (obviously not necessary) and somehow triggering a mass name change that put the file extensions back to the .ifo type.

Since that library re-build I always Import the ripped movies first, then tag them using Fill Properties From File Names, and I haven't had the problem since.

I realize now that my first post in this thread was misleading.  The problem actually appears to be the actual extension name change and what triggers it. 

My experience with this involves:
1) Inadvertently triggering the MC program to change .ifo extensions to .dvd extensions when importing movies into MC16 (this could be a bug, or an easily made operator error of some sort).
2) The second unplanned mass filename change that put my .dvd extensions back to .ifo extensions.

The thing that leaves me baffled is how I triggered the problem and the fix.  I haven't tried to use MC's Rename, Move, & Copy Files function ever...
Pages: [1]   Go Up