INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto refresh change for blu ray/DVD  (Read 3603 times)

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
Auto refresh change for blu ray/DVD
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:37:05 pm »

Any chance of getting the auto refresh rate changer to work for blu ray and dvd when playing directly from the disc? think this would be quite a good feature to have. i still play many dvd and blu rays from disc
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Auto refresh change for blu ray/DVD
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:47:11 pm »

This should work now for BD titles. I'll have to check to make sure.

+1 for DVD's and other external/non imported media though. I need automatic 60hz support for the numerous NTSC DVD's I own. It would also be nice if MC would auto switch for media played through tview's Explorer (off flash media etc).
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:31:38 pm »

We have PAL 50hz DVDs here in Australia, so switching between 60hz to 50hz to watch DVD and then back again, is a bit of a pain.

PS, i tried previously Blu ray disc playing from J River, and no, doesn't do auto 24hz switch.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 02:36:14 am »

If you're using ROHQ, have you tried MadVR's refresh rate changer as a 'last stop'? IIRC this helped for me.

SBR

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 05:29:44 am »

A little related to this topic, I would like to have built in PAL Speeddown, otherwise I must use ReClock... And maybe better refresh rate detection and deinterlacing support... So, I can use DXVA-deinterlacing with madVR, PAL Speeddown and DSP-Studio at the same time (possible??). Now madVR doesn´t have the best refresh rate detection for PAL and NTSC DVDs, so I request JRiver would enhance its own refresrate detection (and autochanger...).
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:51:04 am »

@Refresh rate

This is working for us using optical disks.

17.0.30 (11/7/2011)
10. Changed: Improved analysis of DVD's on import so FPS, bitrate, resolution, etc. are now shown correctly.

If you insert a disc that you've inserted before, you might need to use 'Update Library (from tags)'.

@Reclock
It's better to use VideoClock to adjust the audio to perfectly match the video.  It talks to madVR with a special interface to provide perfect agreement about the monitor's refresh rate.  It also allows using all the other features of the JRiver audio engine.  Look in Options > Video > VideoClock.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 12:53:48 pm »

@Refresh rate

17.0.30 (11/7/2011)
10. Changed: Improved analysis of DVD's on import so FPS, bitrate, resolution, etc. are now shown correctly.

If you insert a disc that you've inserted before, you might need to use 'Update Library (from tags)'.

@Reclock
It's better to use VideoClock to adjust the audio to perfectly match the video.  It talks to madVR with a special interface to provide perfect agreement about the monitor's refresh rate.  It also allows using all the other features of the JRiver audio engine.  Look in Options > Video > VideoClock.

Thanks for the info, I did miss that:)

I use currently VideoClock, but it doesn´t do pal speeddown (25fps->24fps)... Or did I just miss that too?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 01:08:26 pm »

I use currently VideoClock, but it doesn´t do pal speeddown (25fps->24fps)

It does.

VideoClock will adjust the clock for 25 Hz to 24 Hz so the video output will be perfectly smooth.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 02:37:37 pm »

@Refresh rate

17.0.30 (11/7/2011)

Bit lost no how to do this.
I've tried playing 4 PAL DVD's straight from disc, all of them are showing as 29.97, but I know that they are 25 FPS. I don't import DVD's, i play straight from disc. Also, playing Blu Ray straight from disc, it doesn't auto change frame rate, but if i open the disc manually in windows explorer, and select a stream and click to open, it does see it as 24fps. why is this different than pushing play on media centre?  I don't import my videos, i find this an immense waste of space and time if i have them already on disc.

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 02:45:02 pm »

It does.

VideoClock will adjust the clock for 25 Hz to 24 Hz so the video output will be perfectly smooth.
OK, thanks for that :)

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 03:52:49 pm »

Thanks for clarifying Matt. What about on-the-fly detection and other external/non-imported media though? Do you think MC/videoclock will ever support this?
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 04:05:02 pm »

Thanks for clarifying Matt. What about on-the-fly detection and other external/non-imported media though? Do you think MC/videoclock will ever support this?

Could you explain what you mean by 'external' media in more detail?

VideoClock is only used when playing inside Media Center, which means the media is imported in the technical sense (even if it's not in your main library).

Thanks.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 04:49:30 pm »

VideoClock is only used when playing inside Media Center, which means the media is imported in the technical sense (even if it's not in your main library).

Thanks.

I think he means playing direct from optical disc, movies not imported into media centre, 'on the fly' from optical disc.
Which leads me to next question, how do you import a dvd/blu ray technical info, without actually importing large files from an optical disc? Is there a way around this with MC reading the FPS 'on the fly'?

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 05:40:02 pm »

more info on this much appreciated..

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 09:37:01 pm »

If you're using ROHQ, have you tried MadVR's refresh rate changer as a 'last stop'? IIRC this helped for me.

SBR

no not tried that, and i do use ROHQ. will MADVR detect and auto change when watching DVD and Blu ray direct from disc?
is it easy to set-up?
thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 10:20:46 pm »

Very easy.  Right click on a playing movie --> Direct Show Filters --> madVR --> Devices --> [Monitor/TV Name] --> Display Modes --> and then type in the freq you want such as "1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60"

Matt, if it is going to be a while till MC does realtime analysis and display mode switching, this is something that MC could fill out for users in the madVR config when it is set in MC17.
JRiver CEO Elect

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 12:52:12 am »

Thanks.

Sorry, by "external" I mean, for example, videos on an external disc/flash drive etc.... Stuff not imported into my MC lib. Last I tried, playing a 24p mkv off a mate's flash drive did not do an auto refresh rate change. Same with my collection of NTSC dvd's (optical discs). MC does not switch to 60hz for me automatically.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Z0001

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 09:08:16 pm »

I am finding that after tagging all my .iso blu ray and DVD rips for FPS the auto refresh rate changer in MC 17 works just fine for the blu ray .iso files, but .iso DVDs do not trigger an auto refresh rate change.  My desktop is at 60Hz, my DVDs are PAL 50Hz and blu ray of course 23.976Hz. I'm also finding that with .iso DVDs in 4:3 format on a 16:9 screen I get a pale black boarder and continuous top edge flicker which the "crop edges" option does not defeat.

Any clues on the DVD refresh rate changing or weird boarder?

I'm also finding that with an AMD HD6870 I am getting very close to 23.976Hz (using MadVR>ctrl j while playing a movie) even though the elusive "23Hz" is not available in Catalyst Control Centre>HDTV Support while it is a recognized rate in Windows own settings. However MC is going a great job with how it is presenting ray.

Cheers!

NickF

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 11:33:18 am »

It does.

Matt, there is no evidence of it working.  If I play a PAL movie with the fps set at 25Hz and my display settings for PAL set to 50Hz, that is what the movie will play at, not 24Hz.  If this was to work, it would need to take notice of the Media Sub Type because most TV Series or TV Shows in the UK will be recorded at 25Hz and so should be played back at 25 or 50 Hz.  PAL movies, however, should be played at 24Hz.  It would mean that we would need to set this Media Sub Type correctly.

Some clarification on this would be much appreciated.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10
Pages: [1]   Go Up