INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zones from client?  (Read 2603 times)

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
Zones from client?
« on: September 05, 2011, 03:56:11 pm »

Hello --

I am having issues getting the library server zone to display on my client. I have authentication enabled and all features active in DLNA (and library server). This setup worked fine until MC16 and, since then, the library server zone hasn't been visible anywhere. (I posted about this before but it hasn't been an issue until now.)

I am running build 164 on both machines.

Thanks!
Micah

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Zones from client?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:37:08 am »

In the tree, under Playing Now->Playing from ...
Do you see your other server? When both server and client are on the same lan, the server should just appear here.
You could do Add Library and select Library server and put in it's access key if not.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 11:46:14 am »

In the tree, under Playing Now->Playing from ...
Do you see your other server? When both server and client are on the same lan, the server should just appear here.
You could do Add Library and select Library server and put in it's access key if not.

Hi --

Yes, I can see the server, and I have its library loaded. No zones from the library server are visible.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 02:25:56 pm »

Hi --

Yes, I can see the server, and I have its library loaded. No zones from the library server are visible.
So, under "Playing Now" on the client you don't see any "There:" zones when connected to the server?
And on the server you have all DLNA services enabled (I assume you are looking for DLNA devices on the server zone)?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 02:35:14 pm »

Make sure you're not running Media Server from a previous version.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:19:21 pm »

So, under "Playing Now" on the client you don't see any "There:" zones when connected to the server?
And on the server you have all DLNA services enabled (I assume you are looking for DLNA devices on the server zone)?

Hi there --

Nope, there are no "there"s. I haven't seen a "There" since MC16, I believe (mid-March at the most recent, I'd say). I can't help but think something else is misconfigured but I can't imagine what. I have farted around in Windows firewalls trying to make it work, port-forwarding on the router, etc. All DLNA services are enabled on both devices.

Make sure you're not running Media Server from a previous version.

Hm, how could I determine this?

Thanks!
Micah

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:50:38 am »

Hi there --

Nope, there are no "there"s. I haven't seen a "There" since MC16, I believe (mid-March at the most recent, I'd say). I can't help but think something else is mis-configured but I can't imagine what. I have farted around in Windows firewalls trying to make it work, port-forwarding on the router, etc. All DLNA services are enabled on both devices.

Hm, how could I determine this?

Thanks!
Micah
There's a router between the server and client? Shouldn't really matter, if you can connect to the library server, you should see the There: zones..
Look under Media Network->Client Options-> make sure the "show playback zones from the server onto the client checkbox" is checked.
If that doesn't work, perhaps try removing the DLNA server on the server and re-adding it

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 05:36:36 pm »

There's a router between the server and client? Shouldn't really matter, if you can connect to the library server, you should see the There: zones..
Look under Media Network->Client Options-> make sure the "show playback zones from the server onto the client checkbox" is checked.
If that doesn't work, perhaps try removing the DLNA server on the server and re-adding it

Yep, there's a router between the server and the client? (Is there any other way?)

I've got all of those things checked off. I tried deleting the DLNA server but it says you must add one...? I.e. it looks like you can't leave the DLNA server window blank.

I'm pretty much out of ideas here. Like I said, it all started when I went from MC15 to MC16. Is there an error log for media network somewhere? Thanks.

Micah

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:22:18 am »

Yep, there's a router between the server and the client? (Is there any other way?)
If the server and client were on the same lan segment then there wouldn't be a router between them (if two devices are plugged into a router and are on the same lan and or wireless network, the router isn't routing, it's just acting as a switch. For the router to be routing your DLNA packets, one device has to be on the wan side of the router)
I've got all of those things checked off. I tried deleting the DLNA server but it says you must add one...? I.e. it looks like you can't leave the DLNA server window blank.
When you delete the server, you then add a new one. That clears out all of the associated settings in the registry in case there was something foobar there.
I'm pretty much out of ideas here. Like I said, it all started when I went from MC15 to MC16. Is there an error log for media network somewhere? Thanks.

Micah
So you are saying that the Media Network->Client Options->"show playback zones from the server" checkbox IS CHECKED?

if so, I'm running out of ideas too since I'm using that same setup to test and it works fine.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 10:48:42 am »

If the server and client were on the same lan segment then there wouldn't be a router between them (if two devices are plugged into a router and are on the same lan and or wireless network, the router isn't routing, it's just acting as a switch. For the router to be routing your DLNA packets, one device has to be on the wan side of the router)

Oh, yes, you're right.

So you are saying that the Media Network->Client Options->"show playback zones from the server" checkbox IS CHECKED?

if so, I'm running out of ideas too since I'm using that same setup to test and it works fine.

Yep, that's "checked off" as in "selected", not "checked off" as in "the checkboxes are off". Sorry for the confusion.

Real head-scratcher here. Do I have to create a zone and then link it to the server? Thanks very much for your help.

Micah

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 12:01:44 pm »

Yep, that's "checked off" as in "selected", not "checked off" as in "the checkboxes are off". Sorry for the confusion.

Real head-scratcher here. Do I have to create a zone and then link it to the server? Thanks very much for your help.

Micah
You shouldn't have to do anything special, any zones on the server should just appear on the client when you connect to the server from the client if the previously mentioned checkbox is checked...

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 04:37:32 pm »

You shouldn't have to do anything special, any zones on the server should just appear on the client when you connect to the server from the client if the previously mentioned checkbox is checked...

Hm, still nope. However, this is interesting: I played around with it for a few days, trying all possible combinations of settings, and I now see that when I load the remote library it loads the Playing Now playlist for the server under the client's Playing Now - Here. Weird! What could that mean?

Also, my client is actually a Mac with MC running in Fusion. Could that possibly matter?

Thanks again for working with me on this...I must admit that the simplicity of this is part of the frustration for me. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, just like you.

Micah

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 02:17:26 pm »

Bummer, I was hoping this had a solution because I have the exact same problem. The only difference is that I have two client laptops of my desktop server, and one of them the "There's" DO show up on the desktop server while the other one's "There's" do NOT appear. I've combed all the settings on both laptops I can think of but they are identical as far as I can see.

OK, I lied, the other difference is that both my clients are Vista machines, and the desktop is XP

Any more suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Jeff

Edited:
Actually, upon re-reading this again I think my issue is different enough to warrent a seperate thread... my problem seems to be the converse of what's being described here.

Sorry for the bandwidth,
Jeff

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 02:38:45 pm »

Also, my client is actually a Mac with MC running in Fusion. Could that possibly matter?

How do you have the network set up for the VM - bridged or NAT?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 02:48:26 pm »

How do you have the network set up for the VM - bridged or NAT?

It's bridged. I don't know anything about network settings in VM; this is my work laptop and the IT dudes set up the VM. Will changing it to NAT help?

Thanks MrC!

Also, Jeff, I'm afraid I can't help you but I hope the renewed attention gets some help for you too. :)

Micah
Pages: [1]   Go Up