INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: portable version doesn't save changes in Options  (Read 2010 times)

EJR

• World Citizen
portable version doesn't save changes in Options
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:26:12 am »

Hi

Ive installed a portable install on the D:\ drive  that I want to use locally on the computer.,  the normal install is intended for different zones with a different Library.
now when trying to tweak the features - turning things off - the program says it needs a restart for the changes to become active.
after the restart however all changes seem to be undone.

I've tried to fins if somehow the portable shares the setting of the normal install but could not find anything wrong
I must be overlooking something

I've tried both with v16 and v17

update:
"will not save any changes to options" is more correct description of the problem
tried as administrator
and unsetting "read only" for the entire folder JMC is installed in

any help appreciated

EJR

• World Citizen
Re: portable version doesn't save changes in Options
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 10:40:57 am »

Just to be sure, I should be able to run a portable version next to a installed version shouldn't I?
also I asume it is not needed to check "run multiple instances" since the are differnt installs.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 06:39:41 pm »

I think you must enable the "Allow multiple instances to run at one time" setting in Options > General > Advanced. It seems to be enough to enable the setting only in the regular install, but it might be better to have it checked in both installs.

If the setting is not enabled, starting the portable version while the regular version is running seems to simply bring the regular version to front without running the portable version at all.

Of course, when you run only one version at a time it should use its own settings, library, etc regardless of the status of the "Allow multiple instances to run at one time" setting. If that does not happen then something is seriously wrong.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 03:11:15 am »

Both instances started up just fine, the normal install worked like a charm. the portable would simply not save any changes to options or even renaming the library.
i did check "run multiple instances" it just in case
what seemed to have fixed it tho is to set   properties>compatibility>run as administrator on the portable version

the only thing that is bugging me now is that when starting up it will start an auto import of the entire computer, something I don't want it to do.
maybe it does this because I haven't set any folder(s) yet

Maybe handy to add if anyone else will have this problem this was using win7 64 bit premium

cheers!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 07:25:24 am »

the only thing that is bugging me now is that when starting up it will start an auto import of the entire computer, something I don't want it to do.
Import a local file or two.  Double check auto-import settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up