INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad encoder results  (Read 1490 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Bad encoder results
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:51:38 pm »

I have used Exact Audio Copy for many years, but I do not know how to make ripped .wav-files to show correctly tagged at MC... They just go "unknown" album. Then I tried MC internal cd-ripping, and thay show up under music with a complete info and album cover...
So, I am currently happy with MC´s internal ripping (uncompressed .wav), but I need to know if EAC is still the best solution for ripping... I got many old cds and some are little scracthed... EAC has (or had...) the best error recovery, so is MC at the same quality or even better than EAC?

I lean on dbPowerAmp for the ripping and MC for the tagging. But would never touch the wav format. In best practice and for the best success as a long term storage strategy - you should think seriously about ripping to a lossless format like FLAC (which has outstanding tag support) vs wav - which essentially has none.

The time will come when you need to move your files to another box or another instance of MC or god forbid - some other player - and it's almost a guarantee that you will lose some or possibly all of the stored metadata from your tracks if left in the wav format.

Some folks in this forum have gone down this road - only to arrive at a realization that they may have to re-rip their stuff from scratch (worst case scenario).

In closing - EAC was good but never really kept pace with the times. MC and dbPowerAmp are head and shoulders above in features and of course are currently being updated and fully supported - I would stick with either of those two as a key tool for your toolkit.

VP

VP

Vocalpoint

Re: Bad encoder results
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:16:40 pm »

There's only one thing missing, that would be nice:  Encoding validation.

Agreed

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:38:53 pm »

Secure means the rip is secure.  If you found a FLAC problem that's a FLAC encoder problem.  That's not MC's ripping.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 01:54:15 pm »

Secure means the rip is secure.  If you found a FLAC problem that's a FLAC encoder problem.  That's not MC's ripping.

Please see if you can reproduce it, and provide some details.

This was probably a memory error, not a general FLAC encoding error, nor an MC error.

Consider this a feature request for adding an option to run a Verify operation after a rip to provide a second level of assurance.

FYI: I provided details in another post
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:55:19 pm »

If you have corrupt files, you most likely have a hardware problem.  Bad system memory is a common culprit.

I've seen this countless times in my writing and supporting of Monkey's Audio.

This is not a Media Center problem.

I'd recommend verifying your APE or FLAC files from time-to-time.  I personally have had a bad stick of memory in two of my last three machines at home.  The verify function of Monkey's Audio is actually what helped me catch the problem, so at least I could get it fixed and not corrupt more stuff.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:53 pm »

I'd recommend verifying your APE or FLAC files from time-to-time.  I personally have had a bad stick of memory in two of my last three machines at home.  The verify function of Monkey's Audio is actually what helped me catch the problem, so at least I could get it fixed and not corrupt more stuff.

Agreed.  Thanks in advance for agreeing to provide such an option... :-)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 02:57:42 pm »

edit: maybe you're not referring to my post...
I wasn't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up