INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Pane idea  (Read 1024 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
Another Pane idea
« on: November 18, 2011, 10:56:49 am »

This is probably a non essential feature but useful none the less..

In the image you will see my disc type pane, circled in red as well as two highlighted entries, "Album" & "Ep" I managed to select both Album & Ep in the pane by holding down the Ctrl key as I clicked.. I'd never tried this before today but it works  :) and seems like it could be quite useful (Probably more so on my smartlist panes, or artist panes rather than disc type")

Where it says disc type in the image, if that were a left click able button, that would enable "sticky" selections for that pane, it would make it a lot easier as well as it would give people two ways two make sticky selections. (It would also make the sticky selection feature more accessible to people who less enabled to make a sticky selection in the first place, i.e. someone who has lost an arm..)

You'd probably have to place a marking, in the right corner of the top of the pane to indicate that it is button. Also raised when selected and vice versa when not..

rick.ca

Re: Another Pane idea
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 01:36:55 pm »

You seem to be questioning a Windows convention: Ctrl-Click to make multiple selections. That's fine, but why here and not everywhere else the circumstances are similar? If what you suggest is useful in a pane, it must be even more useful in a file list. More importantly, users would expect the behaviour to be the same where the circumstances are similar. The change would undermine the value of the convention, even if it's retained.

For such a behaviour to make sense, I think there has to be a compelling need. In a situation like this, it might be that multiple selections are required more often than not. A mechanism making it easier will then more likely be understood, appreciated and not assumed to be an application-wide departure from convention.

In case you hadn't noticed, multiple selection of adjacent items can be done with a Click & Drag—in panes and in the file list.

Windows offers system-wide accessibility options (like sticky keys) for those who need them.

locust

Re: Another Pane idea
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 02:21:39 pm »

That's fine, but why here and not everywhere else the circumstances are similar?

That's very true, in that case an optional sticky button, in the customise tool bar section, that users to place on to mc if they wanted. and would act globally, including file lists..

I had a little play around with Windows sticky keys, they didn't work like I expected them to, or detailed how the sticky button would work.. (You can turn on the sticky keys by pressing the right shift button 5 times). With the sticky keys you still have to press the ctrl button every time for it to stick.. I might be missing something but I thought it would work better if it stayed sticky until de-activated. That's how I thought a sticky button would work..

Pages: [1]   Go Up