INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Directory & File Naming help  (Read 3532 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
Directory & File Naming help
« on: November 18, 2011, 03:36:51 pm »

Hi, I am considering moving all my music, my current directory & file name setup is as follows

Directories
Rule: [Album Artist]\[Year - Album]

Filename
Rule: [Track #] - [Name]

In the event of any sort of failure I want between my directory structure & filenaming structure to hold all relavent information to the file.. I have come up with this

Directories
Rule: [Album Artist]\[Year - Album] - [Disc Type] - [Genre] - [Catalog #] - [Publisher]

Filename[/b]
Rule: if(isempty([disc #]),[disc #],0 - )[Track #] - [Artist] - [Name] - [Remixer] - [Supporting Artist] - [Style]

My question is to fill out properties from the filename. Do I just use  the exact same code as above to extract the information from the directory and filenaming structure?? I can't fathom it out..

Thanks

rjm

Re: Directory & File Naming help
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 04:01:01 pm »

Yes except you cannot use a conditional for filling from properties so the isempty[disc #] bit won't work. You'll have to fill [disc #] manually via a 2 or more step process (usually by sorting files and then filling from properties a selected subset of files).

Your original structure is simpler and cleaner. Have you considered achieving your objective by configuring your fields to save inside file tags (this will work for mp3 music and some other music types). Then if you lose your library, simply importing the files (regardless of directory structure) will fill the fields with the correct data.

I used to obsess about the same issues however after many years I have never had a data loss with MC. But, just in case, I make a manual backup of my library every day and periodically save these backups to secure media like dvd-r.

Whatever you decide to do, I strongly recommend you try it on a few files first. You should test the fill from file properties approach or the fill from tags approach to confirm all works as expected before finalizing your design.

locust

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 04:19:57 pm »

Can J River save any tags inside the file?? Including custom ones I make?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 04:39:35 pm »

Here is what I use:

Directories:

[Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]

When I have many albums from the same "album artist" I may add the year value:
[Album artist (auto)]\[Year] - [Album]

I prefer to use [Album Artist (auto)], because then I need to tag the [Album Artist] field only if the album has more than one [Artist] value and I want to override the automatic "(Multiple Artists)" value.

Filename:

If(IsEmpty([Disc #],1), [track #], CD[Disc #] - [track #]) - If(IsEqual([Album Type], Multiple Artists /(complete/), 1), [Artist] - [Name], [Name])

Some examples of the resulting filenames:

Single Artist, no disc number:
\The Cure\Japanese Whispers\06 - Speak My Language.mp3

Single Artist, disc number:
\Bob Marley & The Wailers\Burnin' (Deluxe Edition)\CD2 - 08 - Kinky Reggae.mp3

Multiple Artists, tagged Album Artist, no disc number:
\Tiësto\Elements Of Life\03 - Tiësto feat. Julie Thompson - Do You Feel Me.mp3

Multiple Artists, automatic Album Artist value, disc number:
\(Multiple Artists)\Champs-Élysées Café\CD2 - 04 - Chateau Flight feat. Beretta 9 - Down At The Rotisserie.mp3

-- The text string "CD" will be added if the "Disc #" field has a value.

I have a few boxsets that have over 10 discs. For them I have used this:
If(IsEmpty([Disc #],1), [track #], CDPadNumber([Disc #],2) - [track #]) - If(IsEqual([Album Type], Multiple Artists /(complete/), 1), [Artist] - [Name], [Name])

For example: \Sviatoslav Richter\The Complete EMI Recordings\CD09 - 05 - Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.3 in C minor Op.37, II. Largo.mp3

Marko has posted a nice example of a comprehensive renaming rule here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51475.msg351347#msg351347    ;)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 04:41:43 pm »

Yes.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

locust

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 09:17:05 pm »

Quote from: Alex B on June 09, 2008, 07:32:56 pm
Directories:
[Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]\

Filename:
If(IsEmpty([Disc #],1), [track #], CD[Disc #] - [track #]) - If(IsEqual([Album Type], Multiple Artists /(complete/), 1), [Artist] - [Name], [Name])

Some examples of the resulting filenames:

Single Artist, no disc number:
\The Cure\Japanese Whispers\06 - Speak My Language.mp3

Single Artist, disc number:
\Bob Marley & The Wailers\Burnin' (Deluxe Edition)\CD2 - 08 - Kinky Reggae.mp3

Multiple Artists, tagged Album Artist, no disc number:
\Tiësto\Elements Of Life\03 - Tiësto feat. Julie Thompson - Do You Feel Me.mp3

Multiple Artists, automatic Album Artist value, disc number:
\(Multiple Artists)\Champs-Élysées Café\CD2 - 04 - Chateau Flight feat. Beretta 9 - Down At The Rotisserie.mp3

-- The text string "CD" will be added if the "Disc #" field has a value.

Thanks for that
I think, I'll opt to use yours, or at least a variation of it, Markos' one was really impressive, I would use it but don't know where to begin customising that one to suit my library.. Simpler seems a little potentially less destructive at this stage for me...

I haven't even got round to thinking about using MC for images, documents or video.. I might get round to that one in a few years..

Thanks Alex B, btw I've changed all my fields for store the info inside the files, but I think I'll still do this as well for double measure, Thanks

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 09:34:24 pm »

Is everyone referring to the settings in options>File location?

I noticed these but wasn't sure if it was a directory for ripping or if it was meant to
do the same thing as 'fill properties from filename'

I have 6 different drive letters for all of my media so if its meant to do the same thing
as 'fill properties from filename' i assume it cant be done to six different paths.

Any info to clear this up is appreciated.

locust

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 09:55:08 pm »

No were to do what is on this thread you need to highlight which files you want to move: Right Click: Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy Files..

Make sure that the directories check box is ticked.. You need a base path mines is "D:\Users\Home\Music\Library\".

You can then set a directory structure rule.. I.e. the most basic would probably be [Album Artist]\[Album].. That in conjunction with the base path would give you D:\Users\Home\Music\Library\[Album Artist]\[Album]...

You also need to name your files when moving them so you have to tick the filename box and set a rule, just like above... Again a more basic one would be [Track #] - [Name]..

Adding them all up would rename your files accordingly D:\Users\Home\Music\Library\[Album Artist]\[Album]\[Track #] - [Name]

You can also use the expressions like in this thread that will name your folders & files according to the conditions set out in the expressions..

When you are moving your files just be sure of where they are going, there is the preview pane that will show you the original and new destination, Always check that and test it on a small number of files first to make sure you've got it right.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 09:56:48 pm »

The settings in File Locations is for newly created files (eg. ripping, podcast download, etc.).  Expressions may be used here to make the locations dynamic, based on context of fields/properties.

There are other dialogs, such as Rename, Move, & Copy Files that allow configuring how files should be renamed, moved, etc.  Expressions may be used here as well.  Typically, you'd enter here the same expressions used on the File Locations settings.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

locust

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 07:51:48 am »

Quote from: brian0001 on Yesterday at 10:19:57 pm

Yes.

Are you sure about this, tell me if I've done something wrong... I made sure all my custom fields has the "Save in file tags (when possible)" ticked..

To test it I selected a track, I made sure that all stock fields had a value within them.. I also made sure that my custom "remixer", "supporting artist" & "styles" fields had values put in them

I then right clicked the file > Library Tools > Update Tags (From Library)..

I then deleted all the values in every field and then I right clicked the file again > Library Tools > Update Library (From Tags).. All fields remained empty after that step, including the stock fields...

Did I do something wrong.. Is that the proper way to test that the fields are save within the file itself??

Thanks

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 08:24:25 am »

I then deleted all the values in every field...

If you have the option Update tags when file info changes set, then the file tags would have been deleted immediately after you deleted the values in the Library. To confirm data is being saved in the file tags, view them in the tag editor. Do so by clicking the first line of the heading (that indicates format - time - size).

locust

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 08:27:58 am »

:o lol

I need to get myself a dunce hat and sit in the corner lol...

Thanks Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up