INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Laptop as remote for PC?  (Read 3563 times)

Chronic

• World Citizen
Using Laptop as remote for PC?
« on: December 15, 2011, 04:09:49 am »

Hiya, im going to upgrade to 17 soon & i want to be able to control the PC i will have it installed on via my laptop, or even a tablet if i can pick one up cheap enough

My PC is connected to net via ethernet, laptop via wifi, id preferably want acess to my PC desktop from the portable device

How would this be possible with JRiver 17?

Really appreiate some help with this, its the last step in my new setup

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Using Laptop as remote for PC?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 05:48:59 am »

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 06:07:17 am »

Thanks, do you know if using gizmo or webremote if i can browse library, add tracks to playlists etc... or just fwd/rwd/pause?

Otherwise im thinking use a web service that clones my desktop onto a laptop or tablet, which would be ideal

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 06:10:09 am »

Gizmo lets you browse and add tracks.

Tremote gives you the MC interface on a laptop.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 06:22:04 am »

Excellent so i think Tremote is what im after, isit reliable/stable & it comes with the full version of 17?

Gizmo seems like it would be cool for my android phone aswell ;)

Thanks mate

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 06:32:42 am »

Tremote is a feature of MC.  When you use it, you're running MC on both sides.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 08:19:07 am »

Excellent so i think Tremote is what im after, isit reliable/stable & it comes with the full version of 17?

I described the setup in a bit more detail recently over on this thread.

It works quite well.  I use it all the time.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 08:23:10 am »

I use Tremote almost every day. The only problem I have had is if the server ip address changes, the client does not always sense that change and cannot connect. Not sure if it just my flackly wireless router or not. So, I just use a fixed ip address on the server and it works fine.

You need to have the exact same version of MC on the client and server, so make sure auto updates are either on or off on both machines.

The biggest headache I have had is in the initial Windows setup. You need to make sure the server files are shared with the client and that the port (I think  52199 is the default) is open through your local firewall(s). It might take a couple of tries, but once it connects you are fine.

You can setup the server system to automatically start the MC library server on booting in Options > Startup > Windows Startup. If you still have an earlier version of MC on the server, make sure you turn the auto startup of the MC library server off, if it is on. Otherwise, there may be a version conflict.

To connect the client, you need the server "key", which you get from Options > Media Network on the server system.

The controls to manage Tremote on the client are in the Playing Now section, top left of the display. You connect to the server under Playing From > Add Library. To have the music play back on the server choose There (rather than Here or Zone 1).

Good luck.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 09:03:45 am »

Cheers buddy, i may also setup a home network via ethernet as it should be more reliable than a web connection, plus then i have my whole desktop etc... but then of course not wireless ;)

It seems a bit daunting right now but im sure easier then it sounds

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 11:38:14 am »

You need to have the exact same version of MC on the client and server, so make sure auto updates are either on or off on both machines.

This part isn't right (though everything else was).

My Library Server, my HTPC client machine, and my Laptop are almost never "in sync" with which build they are on.  It works fine.  If you happen to try right as they change the Library format or something, you might need to upgrade one of them, but this is very rare.

They do both need to be the same "major version" (MC 17 vs MC 16), of course.

It seems a bit daunting right now but im sure easier then it sounds

It really is easier than it sounds.  What gets confusing is if you are used to other software that has a specific "client version" and a "server version" which work differently.  With MC, any copy you have installed can be a Server, a Client, or even both at the same time.

Give it a shot.  It's awesome.

Oh, and PS... This function works just fine over wireless.  That's how I use mine all the time.

Sgucci99

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 11:41:07 am »

I'm actually using the Ipad with the RDP application.
If u have the PC connected through WiFi, u have on the Ipad the same screen of the Pc and you can do remotely whatever yoy do with the PC.

regards

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 12:00:29 pm »

glynor - if the build versions no longer have to be in sync that is great. In the past, I have run into problems with different build versions, but, as you say, I may have just caught it at the wrong time. So, I just make sure to keep all my systems in sync.

Agreed on wireless. It works fine.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 12:55:56 pm »

glynor - if the build versions no longer have to be in sync that is great. In the past, I have run into problems with different build versions, ...
It may work to use one build of MC17 with another, but if you have a problem, make sure both sides are the same build.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 01:07:58 pm »

It may work to use one build of MC17 with another, but if you have a problem, make sure both sides are the same build.

That's always been my modus operandi.

Problems are quite rare.  I stay pretty up-to-date with my builds, though, so if you let some get wildly out-of-date you might encounter more problems.  One solution would be to just turn on the Auto Updater function (with the same channel selected) on all of your machines, and then MC will keep them in sync for you.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 04:20:44 pm »

I'm actually using the Ipad with the RDP application.
If u have the PC connected through WiFi, u have on the Ipad the same screen of the Pc and you can do remotely whatever yoy do with the PC.

regards
so your using an iPad with a windows pc?

Really if im going to buy a tablet id rather it be an iPad, and if i can use it to remotely control windows that would be great

How does your screen look does the desktop/ application interface fit nicely on the ipad?
and when you ipad sleeps does the music stop?

thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 04:24:23 pm »

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 04:41:51 pm »

The third party ipad apps both look really good, is it possible to have the windows pc/ipad remote combo?
As long as the app picks up JRiver on the PC then it'll work?

Although i reckon id end up using Tremote in the end anyway, just so i can use MC as if i was using it at the PC

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 04:58:26 pm »

Buying an ipad to solely be a remote is ridiculous considering how small my room is, i don't know what i was thinking, im going to use Tremote with my pefectly fine laptop

The thing is my laptops fan is loud, sometimes id want to make playlist in bed, hit the lights & put the laptop to sleep so it's quiet, but will the MC on my PC keep playing if im using Tremote with the laptop asleep?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 06:13:14 pm »

Yes.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 06:23:00 pm »

Sweet, i think my mum might even have an unused netbook lying around, much more 'remote control' than a heavy laptop, this is going to be awesome :)

I just got one of these:

http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Product_C&childpagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLProductCarouselMultiple&cid=1197319181026&p=1197318962342&packedargs=locale%3D1195806691854&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLWrapper

As the the only internet i have in my room is one ethernet cable run from a house that is 30m away, so i have no wireless in my room yet, im hoping this will let me keep using my PC via ethernet, and send a wireless signal to an android phone/netbook gizmo/tremote, the tech diagram on the site shows that it should work perfectly with what i want to do

Should be all setup by next week & then i'll upgrade to 17, worth every penny

Sgucci99

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 03:59:04 am »

Ok, I didn't buy the Ipad solely to be used as remote, I had one, and I discovered that is perfect for this purpose.
The MC screens fit perfectly on the Ipad, and another advantage is that there is no fan noise coming from it.
It is easy to zoom with the fingers in order to read some notes.
It is absolutely mute so the music is not affected at all.
It is lighter than a laptop so it is more confortable to use.
If the Ipad sleeps, the music continues without any dropout.
No problem with the battery, it lasts for hours.
This is my experience.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 05:08:11 am »

Cool, my friend has an iPad i can test out, what app do you use?

And your using it to control a Windows PC right?

Thanks mate

pcstockton

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 09:08:16 am »

Buying an ipad to solely be a remote is ridiculous considering how small my room is, i don't know what i was thinking, im going to use Tremote with my pefectly fine laptop

The thing is my laptops fan is loud, sometimes id want to make playlist in bed, hit the lights & put the laptop to sleep so it's quiet, but will the MC on my PC keep playing if im using Tremote with the laptop asleep?

not ridiculous.  It is perfect.  Silent, small, and will be used for other activities.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 09:49:36 am »

I've used both Screens and iTeleport.

Screens is neat because it tries to turn the entire Windows (or OSX) OS into a "touch UI" by hiding the mouse pointer and making taps act directly as clicks.  A neat idea, but unfortunately, I find this gets in the way sometimes (though I can't think of any examples right this second).

iTeleport is a fantastic VNC client.  That's what I use most of the time.

If the VNC server is running on the same LAN as you, and has a 1024x768 resolution, it feels very close to running Windows natively on the iPad.

pcstockton

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 09:58:16 am »

And your using it to control a Windows PC right?

Thanks mate

My River for iPad.  Works like a charm.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67120.0

http://www.4bay.dk/GettingStarted.htm#CoverTap

Now with jump letters!

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 01:47:04 pm »

not ridiculous.  It is perfect.  Silent, small, and will be used for other activities.

im sure iPad is the best controller but im just talking about the fact that myself i already have a perfectly good laptop so don't necessarily have to drop £500 i don't really have on an iPad, using my android smartphone or laptop as a remote will do for now, just need to get my wireless connections setup & ill be good to go!

Sgucci99

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 03:48:41 am »

I use the Ipad to control a Window PC.
The app, available from the app store is "RDP" and it is pretty easy to configure.
Just give the IP address of the PC and that's all.

pcstockton

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 03:03:12 pm »

im sure iPad is the best controller but im just talking about the fact that myself i already have a perfectly good laptop so don't necessarily have to drop £500 i don't really have on an iPad, using my android smartphone or laptop as a remote will do for now, just need to get my wireless connections setup & ill be good to go!

I was simply addressing your comment: "The thing is my laptops fan is loud, sometimes id want to make playlist in bed, hit the lights & put the laptop to sleep so it's quiet, but will the MC on my PC keep playing if im using Tremote with the laptop asleep?"

I am assuming Tremote sends/creates the playlist in MC so yes, the control point can sleep.  An iPad though obviates all of your issues with the lapper. 

-Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up