INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expression: Mid help  (Read 1300 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
Expression: Mid help
« on: November 19, 2011, 09:32:56 pm »

Hi

I've got a field that rates my albums..

My pane uses this code
Mid(★★★★★,0,[{Album Rating}])

Is there anyway that I can use pane tagging with a pane that uses this code?? I know if I just use the [{Album Rating}] field as a pane I can tag it but it looks kinda ugly using numbers rather than stars

My [{Album Rating}] Field has acceptable values of "1;1.5;2;2.5;3;3.5;4;4.5;5" is that helps...

And I don't know if this is worth it, Is there anyway to update the code to include half increments using this ☆? I'm not sure how that would look in a pane, too cluttered? I suppose if the selection of fours stars includes four stars and a half, I'm not really that fussed..

Sorry it just dawned on me if pane tagging were to be activated for this code it would have to be able to display the half increments, or else I'd have to revert to a five star system..

Thanks...

rick.ca

Re: Expression: Mid help
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:15:46 am »

Is there anyway that I can use pane tagging with a pane that uses this code?

No. You can only Pane Tag a regular field, not an expression or expression field. I assume you want to do this because you're using an albums thumbnails view, and your [Album Rating] is otherwise not visible. I think your only options are to use the tag window to make changes, or use a separate view to do so. There, you could tolerate an ugly [Album Rating] pane, and/or use a list style, restrict the listing to one track, and display an [Album Rating] column for editing (I assume [Album Rating] is an album-related field.) That would give you a simple album list for setting ratings, which might be convenient.

And I don't know if this is worth it, Is there anyway to update the code to include half increments using this ☆?

Yes...

I used Rick's expression as the calculated data in a field called [a.Rating]
Mid(★★★★★, 0, [a.Rating])If(IsEqual(Right([a.Rating], 2), .5), ☆, )

...Just don't create a circular reference this time. [a.Rating] is my field for the album rating value—what you're calling [Album Rating]. The leading 'a' denotes Album-related. I also have an [a.Rating.x] expression ('x') field to create the star display. It now uses a half-star instead of an empty one, but is otherwise the same expression as above. I don't expect anyone to use my field naming scheme, but you now understand why I use it—so I don't get confused and do things like create circular references. ;)

locust

Re: Expression: Mid help
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:47:21 am »

Thanks.. I need to go round all my fields and give most of them a better name, now that I know you can just view custom fields separately when you are managing them.. I only used things like { and # to keep them all grouped together..

I'll rename all fields with expression but I think I'll keep my {Album Rating} {Flag: Album} and {Flag: Track} they way they are though.. It this way it keeps it at the top of the tagging pane, nice & easy to get to..  :)

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up