INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skip Forward/Backward problems with ripped DVDs  (Read 1909 times)

lhwidget

• World Citizen
Skip Forward/Backward problems with ripped DVDs
« on: November 20, 2011, 05:48:59 pm »

I've noticed lately that using the skip forward/skip backward (L/R arrow keys) MC17 hangs.  I have no idea when this may have started, I just tried it lately.

These are DVDs ripped to VOBs by DVDFab and MC has imported the .ifo files into the library.

They play fine, rewind & fast forward work fine and pause/play work fine.  If I skip forward or back, it looks like the movie goes to the skip-to point, but stops playing.  Also, if I drag the progress bar to another time mark, MC hangs.  Usually, after the hang, I can press the stop button and the display window will close and return me to MC in either Theater or windowed view.

Now the kicker, skip forward/back works on .mp2 and .ts files just fine (recorded TV shows)...

Any ideas?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Skip Forward/Backward problems with ripped DVDs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 09:01:21 pm »

It seems you're always a day or two ahead of me with DVD playback issues! I noticed something similar last night; in some movies the skipping did not work, but there was no hang like you describe.

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 09:07:39 pm »

I just hope someone has a notion of what's happening, 'cause I'm baffeled by this one...

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 02:06:57 pm »

Bump

Any ideas?  Anyone?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 03:20:07 pm »

I posted the following in the beta/17.0.29 thread two weeks go:

... However, DVD video from a VIDEO_TS folder didn't work fully. Skipping to a certain chapter number didn't work and after several quick seeking attempts MC crashed. Unfortunately I don't have time now to do any extensive testing.

By "extensive testing" I meant testing lots of different DVDs. However I was able to reproduce the crashing and non-working chapters with two different DVDs.

EDIT

Making selections with the mouse in the DVD menu seems to be also broken. I have to resort to using the arrow keys and Enter.

XP SP3, RO Standard
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 04:11:15 pm »

Thanks Alex.

I checked about 10 DVDs, all ripped to VOBs (over a 3 year period by DVDFab).

I tried several things:
Chapters: skip forward or back worked consistantly for me.

FF worked @ 5x, Rew mostly worked @ 5x, but if I started Rew right at a chapter, it looked like it skipped to the beginning of the previous chapter.

Fast forward (5x) shows smooth speeded up video motion without sound.  Rew (5x) shows frozen video while the time index skips backward at ≈ 60 sec intervals.  The movie starts instantly when play is pressed without any vid/aud sync issues.

FF @ 20x would always hang, Rev @ 20x actually worked a time or two, but usually hangs.

My time skips are set to 1:00 min forward & 15 sec backward.
When I do a single skip forward the video goes forward to what looks like the proper point and stops, there are no sounds or noises. 

Waiting doesn't help, but if I pause it, then press play, the video will start and about a second later, the sound starts & they are in sync.

Also, if I drag the position indicator at the top of the screen to a new location, I get exactly the same behavoir as skip forward/backward.

The behaviors described above happened with every VOB file I played.

All of the above functions are working as they should when Mpeg 2 and .ts files are played (both recorded HDTV and ripped blurays).

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 01:58:13 pm »

Are you guys all on XP?  I can't repro at all on Windows 7, but doing some testing on my XP virtual box is turning up some issues, upside down video for one.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 09:37:21 pm »

I'm on XP Pro, SP 3, fully updated.  This happens on my main PC & both of my HTPCs, all running XP Pro.  No upside down video though...

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:54:39 pm »

Sorry, but hoping Matt may notice this & take pity... :)

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up