INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stretch aspect ratio - not working for BD titles  (Read 1376 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Stretch aspect ratio - not working for BD titles
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:50:46 pm »

Would i be correct in saying that this setting zooms the video to fit the current screen resolution? I'm pretty sure this is right as for most 2.35:1 content, it does a good job of "filling" my 16:9 screen.

The problem is that it's not working for blu-ray titles.  I realise that the video purist will frown upon this but I'm of the opinion that if the image can be zoomed to fit the available screen real-estate without introducing too many visible artifacts (eg sub-titles cut off, people appearing stretched etc) then I'm all for it.

Hope this can be fixed soon.

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Stretch aspect ratio - not working for BD titles
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:00:08 pm »

I like the DVD options, because they have options designed for cropping black bars.  Maybe we could merge the DVD modes with the modes used for other video types?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:31:09 pm »

DVD and video file options are different (not sure about blueray, does it follow the same options as those for DVD?).  DVD engine maintains aspect ratio, and thus can not be stretched (maybe there is a way to do it, but I did not explore that option because I think maintaining aspect ratio makes sense).  So DVD offers cropping options instead.

If we try to merge the two systems, I bet different people will have different opinions about which system to merge to.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:43:38 pm »

I personally wouldn't ever want to stretch (unless there was an aspect ratio bug) because I find it distracting to look at.

But it might be harmless to just offer both sets of options.

I'll follow up tomorrow.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 09:47:59 pm »

I like the DVD options, because they have options designed for cropping black bars.  Maybe we could merge the DVD modes with the modes used for other video types?

The DVD aspect ratios work well, I agree. Ideally I'm looking for an easy way to crop black bars for all video types.

For non-DVD material, the stretch option seems to be more like a zoom feature. Is this right? This is what I was trying to understand. I guess this doesn't preserve the aspect ratio though?

Offering both sets of options (as suggested) might be the way to go.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 09:36:01 am »

For non-DVD material, the stretch option seems to be more like a zoom feature. Is this right? This is what I was trying to understand. I guess this doesn't preserve the aspect ratio though?

Stretching is not like zooming.  Zooming preserves aspect ratio, and you may lose part of the video image.  Stretching preserves all source (except the edge portion cropped by Crop Edges), but not aspect ratio.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 06:28:37 pm »

Stretching is not like zooming.  Zooming preserves aspect ratio, and you may lose part of the video image.  Stretching preserves all source (except the edge portion cropped by Crop Edges), but not aspect ratio.

Oh right. Thanks Yaobing. I understand now.
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up