INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 computers, 3 phones and a tablet  (Read 2033 times)

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
3 computers, 3 phones and a tablet
« on: December 01, 2011, 11:59:04 pm »

For years I've stayed in my cave with my MC library on a shared drive and just pointing the MC on all the machines to that library.
If I set up the main machine as a server what advantage would that have?
How would I access the library with the other two machines?  Phones and tablet would use Gizmo, Right?
Thanks

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 3 computers, 3 phones and a tablet
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 02:21:24 am »

You would do the same as you've always done with the server. The best is to import media on the "server" from a share, so other computers can connect to the share directly (faster video response). The other clients would connect to the client, sharing the same library. The results would be an always up-to-date library which syncs changes back and forth. You can edit your library on what ever computer you want. Except for things like cover art. This still have to be done on the server in most cases. You would also use the same View setup as your server. So you only have to configure Theater View one time for example.

With a server setup you'll also have the posibility to get Media with DLNA through a PS3 for example. And as you say, you can use Gizmo to get media on pads and phones with Android. Or you can use a web interface to get the same on other computers I think. Have not testet that yet though.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 01:45:22 am »

Thanks for the reply.  Other then using with the phones, would it be any different then just running it on the different computers pointed at the shared library?

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 02:08:23 am »

The difference would be that you need to do changes on 3 computers, not one. You'll also have statistics like Play Counters, Last Played, updated Genres only on the computer you play or edit the item. But the changes will not sync to other computers.

The only positive thing about this imo, is that you separate the Number Plays on each computer/user. That makes it a bit easier to know what YOU have watched or not. Not what you, the wife and the kids have watched.

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 12:21:08 am »

Ok, thanks.  I have both computers using the same "library" on the share so, only update once.  Guess the seperate play counters might be handy.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 02:17:26 am »

Ok, thanks.  I have both computers using the same "library" on the share so, only update once.

That is true, quite a few modifications I think. You're very dependent on writing all tags to the media files or to sidecar files for video. I have never studied this, but I do think there are some file types and some tags that are not possible to share between windows SMB share only. You need a Library server for this to be reliable. To update all your tag changes and be certain it's replicated to all other clients.

I also believe that you're very dependent on Automatic import being enabled everywhere. Without it I think you'll have trouble checking for this external changes from other clients.

So, overall I would say that a true JRiver Library Server is the way to go. Not only a common share. But in your case you might do without it for the clients. I think it depends a lot on what media you have, and if my first assumption of file types and tag problems is true :) One other thing. For the phones, you'll HAVE to have a library server. A client computer can run this, but if it does, I do not see much of a point in not hoocking up the other clients to it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up