INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC2Slim and JRiver Media Center problem  (Read 3391 times)

jfpmft

• Recent member
MC2Slim and JRiver Media Center problem
« on: December 02, 2011, 09:08:57 pm »

I have the Logitech Transporter which runs off Slimserver v. 7.7.0 to play music through my music system. I acquired the JRiver Media Center v. 16.0.181. I got MC 2 Slim (v 1.70)  to play MC's files through my system. I got it to play, however I have no indication of what is "now Playing". The MC gives me no clue of what is currently playing and MC 2 Slim's bottom section where, I assume, the current selection would be indicated, remain black.

What am I missing, other than the title that is playing?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: MC2Slim and JRiver Media Center problem
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:33:41 pm »

I don't know what the status is of MC2Slim.  It has been a while since we've seen any updates here.

Consider using Whitebear media server, which will show your Transporter as a zone in MC.  Tracks are sent using DLNA.  If you're interested in the route, and want assistance, give a reply.

http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jfpmft

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 08:15:41 pm »

Hi MrC,

Thank you for the referral to the Whitebear Media Server. I downloaded and installed it. It seems to be a much better app than MC2Slim. However, I think I am way over me head.

From your post, you indicated that the transporter would show as a Zone in MC. Well Zone 1 is a "Play Doctor".
Zone 2 shows my music library (big improvement) but it only plays on my computer speakers not on my audio system.
Underneath Zone 2, it reads "Playing from Main Library" and in the main display area is the Library manager ("Add Library", "Delete Library" and "Show Hidden Library..."}.

How do I configure Zone 1 to play through my Transporter and Zone 2 to play through my Squeeze box?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:45:40 pm »

it can feel a little complicated at first.  What you're seeing under MC's Playing Now is both a Zone list, and under Playing from xxx Library, MC's library manager.  These two areas are merged under this single Playing Now tree.  Zones are the first items - Libraries are beneath the collapsible Playing from xxx Library, with the heading indicating which library is in use.

MC and SB both maintain libraries (databases that catalog tracks and their metadata).  Typically, when using MC, you're using the main/primary library, and you're directing MC to control playback of the tracks it manages.  And when you use your SB via the various SBS user interfaces (web, direct control, etc.), you're directing the SBS software to send tracks to the SB hardware.  In both cases, the tracks are directly available to the managing software (MC and SBS).

But with MC and Whitebear, MC is used either to initiate playback of tracks that MC manages, or tracks that SB manages.  So how you use it depends on where your tracks, MC, SBS and Whitebear reside, and what features you require.

With DLNA, simply stated, a Contoller (eg. MC here) requests playback operations from a DNLA server (eg. Whitebear), and the server sends tracks to a renderer (eg. an SB).

With MC and Whitebear, there are a couple of ways to accomplish this, and again, how you do it depends on the location of SBS, MC and Whitebear.

When you use Whitebear, Whitebear presents the SBS library to MC, which MC can then import and use playback commands like any other library.  This MC library is separate and distinct from the SBS library, and is essentially read-only to MC.  And you must switch MC libraries to use it (this means new views, all local playback stops, etc.). For me, this mode isn't useful, as I routinely playback directly on my MC system, and stream to remote SBs in other rooms of the house (wife loves this).

Alternatively if the MC and SBS tracks are one and the same, you can have MC stream directly to an SB.  The downside is that cover art is not presented to an SB Touch - you'll see only basic metadata.

Attached is a screenshot showing SB's as zones.  In the screenshot, you'll notice that:

a) I'm using MC's Main library (this is the only library I use).
  b) To send tracks to an SB, use the Send To command, navigating your way through the tree (there are shorter ways, which I can describe later).

Here, the tracks are located on the MC system.  In this configuration, MC streams tracks to the chosen SB.  Whitebear in essence negotiates the conversation, and then steps out of the way.

You'll also notice there is another library, that presented by Whitebear (mine is called Le Musica, which is the SBS library as named via SBS).  This would be useful if you were not interested in using MC to manage SBS track tags, nor use MC for direct playback.  When you use this mode, MC initiates the playback commands, but them Whitebear directs SBS to playback *its* tracks.  No streaming.  To use this mechanism, you have to load this library (MC will first have to import/build this library).  The tracks are located where ever the SBS software resides.

Let's start here, and see what you need next...

jfpmft

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 06:39:26 pm »

I am a bit overwhelmed by all this.
I took some screen shots of both MC and Whitebear but I cannot upload them with my post. Can you send me your email address so I can send you these screen shots? My email address is jfpmftat gmail.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 06:46:10 pm »

Perhaps you can create a pix01 account and use MC to upload.  That way, they'll be visible to all here.

See: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Posting_Images .

In the meantime, I've sent you an email.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 07:49:02 pm »

Enable the highlighted settings from the Tools > Options > Media Network area.  You will find you have a Generic DLNA server listed.  You can use that entry and customize it (whereas my screenshot shows I have a MC for SB and MC for Dish).  I require two DLNA servers here for two different types of devices, so just named them for my convenience.

Once this done, and restart MC, and shortly after, restart Whitebear.  You should then see your Transporter as a zone under Playing Now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up