INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to install two copies of MC17 in one PC?  (Read 2693 times)

soleil

• Recent member
Is it possible to install two copies of MC17 in one PC?
« on: December 02, 2011, 01:34:35 pm »

I want to share MC17 media libraries with my friends using the media networking function in MC17.
As you know, once I try to connect to my friend's MC17 library my MC17 becomes a client
and my friend cannot access to my MC17 library.

In other words, I want to have a server MC17 and a client at the same time in one PC.
Is there any way to make this work?

Thanks in advance.
p.s. OS is Win7 64bit.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Is it possible to install two copies of MC17 in one PC?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 02:17:03 pm »

Run the server on your regular install and use a portable install as a client. Your friend can do the same.

You can create a portable install by selecting the custom install option in the regular installer. You must create it on a computer that has a registered MC instance already installed.
A portable install doesn't need to be on a removable drive. You can create it to any local folder, but it might be better to create it outside the regular Program Files or Program Files (x86) location. A folder like C:\Portable MC\ would be fine. You can create a shortcut icon that points to the portable "Media Center 17.exe" instance (right-click the file and select "create shortcut"). Move or copy the shortcut to your preferred place.

You must also enable the "Allow multiple instances to run at one time" setting in Options > General > Advanced... (I think it is better to enable this option in both versions).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

BigMac

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 02:45:40 pm »

It is nice to see you in MC forum.  I hope you can get a right answer in here.  You know who I am.  ^^  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:22:31 pm »

It is nice to see you in MC forum.  I hope you can get a right answer in here.  You know who I am.  ^^  ;D
I know who you are.  Mr JRiver Korea!! 

soleil

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 08:25:54 pm »

Run the server on your regular install and use a portable install as a client. Your friend can do the same.

You can create a portable install by selecting the custom install option in the regular installer. You must create it on a computer that has a registered MC instance already installed.
A portable install doesn't need to be on a removable drive. You can create it to any local folder, but it might be better to create it outside the regular Program Files or Program Files (x86) location. A folder like C:\Portable MC\ would be fine. You can create a shortcut icon that points to the portable "Media Center 17.exe" instance (right-click the file and select "create shortcut"). Move or copy the shortcut to your preferred place.

You must also enable the "Allow multiple instances to run at one time" setting in Options > General > Advanced... (I think it is better to enable this option in both versions).

Thanks a lot for such a prompt reply.  :o
I will give a try tonight here in Korea... and let you know the result.  :)

soleil

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 08:31:35 pm »

Hi BicMac,
I think I know you... P-Au-Dang AntiBigMac?
I will post the result later @ P-Au-Dang. See you soon...

soleil

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 08:38:47 pm »

Thanks a lot for such a prompt reply.  :o
I will give a try tonight here in Korea... and let you know the result.  :)

Hi JimH,

I have read your many very-helpful advice in this forum... Thanks again.
Please give more attention to Korea users... You probably have been doing so... Right?  ;D

I have an another issue on SACD iso playback.
When you think MC support this?

Nice to talk you and Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:46:54 pm »

Hi Soleil,
We're very grateful for your business and other business in Korea that Big Mac has brought.

SACD files are DSD.  MC can play them.  See the wiki for more information.

ISO is a disc image and MC doesn't support it at this time.

Ripping a SACD is theoretically possible if you have the original PS3.  There is a thread at computeraudiophile.com about this.

soleil

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 09:50:12 pm »

It works... Great...  ;D
Now I can use the origanal MC17 as a server and the portable as a client at the same time in one PC.

Thanks a lot... I will conctact you again if I have any other issue.  :)

soleil

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 10:04:10 pm »

Hi Soleil,
We're very grateful for your business and other business in Korea that Big Mac has brought.

SACD files are DSD.  MC can play them.  See the wiki for more information.

ISO is a disc image and MC doesn't support it at this time.

Ripping a SACD is theoretically possible if you have the original PS3.  There is a thread at computeraudiophile.com about this.

Yes. I know MC can playback DSD files (dsf format?) and I did it with no problem.
Hopely, MC can support the SACD iso near future.
I have read your other posting telling scarletbook.exe can extract individula tracks in SACD iso.
Can you let me know where I can get that utility?

Thanks.

BigMac

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 11:45:10 pm »

I know who you are.  Mr JRiver Korea!!  

Hello, Jim,

He is our Korean member and I am very happy to see him here.  ;D

BigMac

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 11:45:55 pm »

Hi BicMac,
I think I know you... P-Au-Dang AntiBigMac?
I will post the result later @ P-Au-Dang. See you soon...

Bingo!!!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up