INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Bravia and MC 17 DLNA  (Read 1601 times)

dpetr

• Recent member
Sony Bravia and MC 17 DLNA
« on: January 26, 2012, 01:33:33 pm »

Since I can remember, Media Center hasn't adequately supported DLNA using a typical Sony Bravia available in the US.  By that I mean, it will only work with transcoding set to always transcode, even formats that the TV will play natively.  Here's a sample of a past forum entry that illustrates the problem.
<Paste>
I just tried to configure  the MC  DLNA feature. (MC 17.0.38-beta)

For the video part I've been following this or that advise I found over here.

1. Always transcode
2. MPEG2/DVD  ( I'm wondering if that needs to be DVD PAL for Europe??)
3. DLNA
4. DLNA Extra
5. Overwrite MPEG2 MIME Type.

Not any of the files I have -- m2ts, avi, mkv, ts --- is available, thus not playable.
<End Paste>
This guy lives in Europe.  However, the same conditions exist for the US market.  Here's the deal.  My library consists almost exclusively of m2ts files with h264 video and AC3 audio.  The TV plays everything just fine, sans transcoding, via another DLNA program.  They will only play when the Sony BD/TV server is set to Always Transcode.  I'm led to conclude that something's wrong with MC 17 when the only option to play the video is through ffmpeg, even though the TV can indeed play the video when it's streamed to it as is by another program.  On the Sony, as one might expect, these .m2ts files show up as mpeg using the MC 17 server, even though the compression tag indicates "m2ts video (video: AVC1, audio: AC3)".  On the other program that works without transcoding, they show up as AVC on the Sony. 

There's certainly been vast improvements in MC in every area of the program since MC 15.  No doubt about that.  It's just in this one little corner of the program where I think things could be better.  So Bob, my question is, will MC 17 support these files in the future without the need to transcode to mpeg?  Or, is this too low on the radar screen to worry about?  Thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sony Bravia and MC 17 DLNA
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:43:55 pm »

I just tried to configure  the MC  DLNA feature. (MC 17.0.38-beta)
17.0.75 is the latest build.  Have you tried it?  Have you taken a look at other threads here on the Bravia series?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 03:10:02 pm »

If you are in the US, use the settings you described above and then
MPEG_PS_NTSC for the DLNA override. Leave the mimetype override as video/mpeg.
Works with our Bravia.

dpetr

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 05:42:47 pm »

Sorry if my post wasn't very explicit.  The paste I included was from another post from a while back from someone else.  I am using the latest version.  Jim, Bob, the issue is that the files will play if they are always transcoded.  Bob, you said it works on your Bravia.  Great.  Are you playing a m2ts/h264/ac3 file and is it being transcoded or not?  Sure, I can get the file to play, but the PC the software is on is too slow to transcode.  The idea is that I don't want to always transcode the video file if the TV doesn't require it.  That's the idea.  And Jim, yes, I've viewed other threads with similar Bravia problems (obviously since that's where I got the pasted text from).  In fact one thread had a very similar Bravia problem but nothing appears to have been resolved on that thread.  Can you tell me if your Bravia plays non avi/mpeg files such as mkv/m2ts without having to transcode them?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:47 pm »

Sorry if my post wasn't very explicit.  The paste I included was from another post from a while back from someone else.  I am using the latest version.  Jim, Bob, the issue is that the files will play if they are always transcoded.  Bob, you said it works on your Bravia.  Great.  Are you playing a m2ts/h264/ac3 file and is it being transcoded or not?  Sure, I can get the file to play, but the PC the software is on is too slow to transcode.  The idea is that I don't want to always transcode the video file if the TV doesn't require it.  That's the idea.  And Jim, yes, I've viewed other threads with similar Bravia problems (obviously since that's where I got the pasted text from).  In fact one thread had a very similar Bravia problem but nothing appears to have been resolved on that thread.  Can you tell me if your Bravia plays non avi/mpeg files such as mkv/m2ts without having to transcode them?
Sorry, I wasn't very explicit either. Our Bravia has worked well with most test files without transcoding. I'll check on the mkv/m2ts un-transcoded asap. Can you tell us what's in the "compression" database field for one of the files you are having trouble playing?

dpetr

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:43:05 pm »

The compression tag indicates "m2ts video (video: AVC1, audio: AC3)".  That's 95% of my video files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up