INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NewB needs advice on setting up a PVR  (Read 2413 times)

steverichab

NewB needs advice on setting up a PVR
« on: December 04, 2011, 10:14:23 pm »

I am a Comcast Digital HD customer and I am planning on returning the leased DVR and using JRiver as my PVR but I need advice on setting up my PC and TV.
My PC is in another room and my TV is a Samsung UN46C6500. It is currently connected to my comcast cable box/DVR, my PC via Cat5 and I have a Harmony One remote.
I would like to use my Harmonly One to:

1) Normal operation to control the Comcast cable box (or another if you suggest an altentive)
2) Select and set up programs to record.
3) Select and play recorded video/music/pictures via JRiver (I assume using DLNA?)

Any hardware or configuration advice will be much appreaciated

Thanks Steve

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: NewB needs advice on setting up a PVR
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:09:54 pm »

I sounds like you want to capture the Cable box signal and record it to your computer. Therefore you will need a "capture device/card".
As you will see from other posts in this forum, JRiver is working on getting the Hauppage Colossus capture card working. The Coloussus is an internal card. Hauppauge also makes an external capture device (the HD PVR http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods.html) which seems to have less problems. I'm confiedent the the Colossus will be trouble free soon if you want an internal card.

The JRiver Television setup will provide guide data from your Cable company based on zipcode. You will be able to use the JRiver program to select what to watch and record from within MediaCenter. You will need MC version 17 (latest version).

The Harmony will work with JRiver and the Cable box, but you will need an IR transmitter to send the signal to the cable box for unattended recordings. The Media Center remote shown in upper right corner (sold through JRiver) works great (just use your Harmony one in palce of the remote that comes with the receiver/transmitter).

steverichab

Re: NewB needs advice on setting up a PVR
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:58:09 pm »

Thanks CountryB!
Your right I am thinking of using a PC as a PVR and this Hauppage Coloussus appears to be a great card although I must admit that "I am confident that it will be trobble free soon" does not fill me with confidence.

It sounds like with release 17 my Samsung UN46C6500 will play well with JRiver via DLNA.  Please confirm that all of these functions will work using my Harmony one(via an IR iconnections to my cable box and TV) and remember that my PC is many rooms away from my TV and the cable box that is attached to the PC.  A second cable box will be attached to the PC where the programing will be recorded.  I don't see how #2 below will work, DLNA?

1) Normal operation to control the Comcast cable box (or another if you suggest an altentive)
2) Select and set up programs to record.
3) Select and play recorded video/music/pictures via JRiver (I assume using DLNA?)

Also how des JRiver change the chanel on the cable box that is connected to the PC when it wants to record a program unattended?

Thanks for helping a newb, Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up