INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tag on import applied when doing rename or move files?  (Read 2322 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
Tag on import applied when doing rename or move files?
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:04:08 am »

I wonder, is the new tag on import feature applied to files when they're rename or moved?

raldo

Re: Tag on import applied when doing rename or move files?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 01:18:06 am »

I wonder, is the new tag on import feature applied to files when they're rename or moved?

bump...

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 01:42:27 am »

I don't believe so.  The files are already imported.

But this is an easy one to test...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

raldo

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 02:14:23 am »

But this is an easy one to test...

True, but I'm still using MC16.

MrC

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 11:57:00 am »

Quick tests confirm No auto-tags applied in the following cases:

- An internal rename or move
  - An external rename or move, left alone for auto-import to discover and correct links
  - An external rename, and forced auto-import run

raldo

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 02:00:43 am »

Thanks.

I'd consider this a missing feature.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 04:23:56 pm »

By design, rules are only applied on first import.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 05:25:11 pm »

And it's unclear how it being otherwise could be construed as a feature...

- An internal rename or move

There might be an argument for a use-case where files are imported from one source, then moved internally to where they "belong"—but that seems a rather backward workflow. (How do you know where they belong if they haven't been tagged?) Nevertheless, in that case, having rules applied would be convenient. In general, however, tags changing just because a file is moved or renamed would be unexpected and therefore problematic.

- An external rename or move

I'm not sure I understand exactly how it works, but MC is designed to recover from files being renamed or moved externally. That is, the original records are maintained and the filename references are updated. In this case, just like the internal rename or move, it doesn't make sense to be applying import rules. On the other hand, if a file is renamed and moved, MC cannot associate it with the original library record, so it will be removed and the "new" file imported. This means, for example, an episode could be renamed as a movie and moved from a series folder to a movie folder. As a result, the episode record would be removed and the file would be imported and tagged (according to the rules) as a movie. In other words, how the program currently responds to external changes is probably what most would expect and want.

Also, having these rules applied after import would preclude their use for setting "default" values for tags. For example, one might prefer not to distinguish adult movies in the file system, but manually set [Media Sub Type]=[Adult] after import. That would not be possible if the import rules were applied after import.

So, if there is a missing feature, I think it's a strictly manual command to Update Tags (using import rules). This would update tags according to whatever rules apply to the file's current media type and file path.

MrC

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 05:51:58 pm »

Question, re: Scheduler.  Would it be possible to have auto-import rules run for scheduled recordings?  I find that I always have to set Use Bookmarking.

raldo

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 02:22:14 am »

There might be an argument for a use-case where files are imported from one source, then moved internally to where they "belong"—but that seems a rather backward workflow [...]

You might find this backward but that's how I do it. And I'm sure many other users do it this way. I.e. Auto import a download folder and move files from there using MCs internal mechanisms.

One of the major points of autotagging is that the mechanism detects some features of a file and then applies tagging to the file. This should work even if the files are moved in the file structure. That's the whole point of the "auto" in auto tagging. A user who has set up auto tagging should not be surprised if something happens automatically.

Maybe an option checkbox could be introduced "Disable auto tagging when moving or renaming files" or something.

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 04:14:34 am »

You might find this backward but that's how I do it.

My comments have nothing to do with how you do it versus how I do it. If you were clear about how you "move files from there using MCs internal mechanisms," it would likely be evident you're not relying on auto-tagging, but manually deciding where things go. If not, then whatever you're doing can be done automatically—on import. A feature that tags files after you've made that manual determination has little to do with auto-tagging. Depending on how you're doing it, the existing Rename, Move and Copy (if you tag first) or Fill Properties from Filename (if you move first) functions are probably more applicable to the task. But I did suggest a function for applying the rules manually. If auto-tagging on import doesn't work for your workflow—because you need to do other things first—why can't one of those things be to use such a command when you're ready? It seems to me a deliberately executed function is more appropriate to your workflow, useful for other purposes, won't confuse anyone and doesn't require the function be disabled to ensure the library isn't automatically messed-up.

raldo

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 04:30:59 am »

your workflow—because you need to do other things first—why can't one of those things be to use such a command when you're ready? It seems to me a deliberately executed function is more appropriate to your workflow, useful for other purposes, won't confuse anyone and doesn't require the function be disabled to ensure the library isn't automatically messed-up.

I did suggest an option which would make it possible to cater for more than one workflow.

In my case, I'd have to execute a command every time I move files. I'd just like this to be more automated.

Pages: [1]   Go Up