INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: a couple of minor OSD tweaks, please?  (Read 6580 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Request: a couple of minor OSD tweaks, please?
« on: December 09, 2011, 03:17:13 am »

1/ An option to hide "Volume". I have no use for it (using an external amp) and it just gets in the way. It's often randomly displayed too which I don't understand. Like when starting blu-ray playback from Theater View. When Display View first shows, the OSD always pops up briefly and displays the Volume bar. Likewise when starting TV. The program title would probably be a better thing to show here.

2/ Blu-ray "Title" OSD menu: could this be changed so that left/right cycles thru the available titles but does not start playback UNTIL Enter is pressed? It can be tedious to have to wait for MC to start playback of each title when all I want to do is see what's available for selection. Switching channels in Live TV works like this (arrows + Enter to choose).

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
Re: Request: a couple of minor OSD tweaks, please?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:37:06 am »

2/ Blu-ray "Title" OSD menu: could this be changed so that left/right cycles thru the available titles but does not start playback UNTIL Enter is pressed? It can be tedious to have to wait for MC to start playback of each title when all I want to do is see what's available for selection. Switching channels in Live TV works like this (arrows + Enter to choose).

Thanks.

Same needs to apply to the video/audio stream selection too please.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:03:32 am »

1/ An option to hide "Volume". I have no use for it (using an external amp) and it just gets in the way. It's often randomly displayed too which I don't understand. Like when starting blu-ray playback from Theater View. When Display View first shows, the OSD always pops up briefly and displays the Volume bar. Likewise when starting TV. The program title would probably be a better thing to show here.

Are you in 'Disabled Volume' mode?  It seems reasonable to not show volume in that case.

I don't like having to press enter on _any_ menu.  It confuses me.  So I would make channels not do this.  It would be better for it to be based on a timer so it doesn't execute until you stop changing for a second.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 09:09:25 am »

Next build:
Changed: When using 'Disabled Volume' volume mode, the volume isn't offered on the OSD.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 01:32:15 pm »

I don't like having to press enter on _any_ menu.  It confuses me.  So I would make channels not do this.  It would be better for it to be based on a timer so it doesn't execute until you stop changing for a second.

I don't agree.  I hate the system changing without me telling it to do so.  Sometimes I like to see what other options there are but don't actually want it to change.  At the moment it changes on me and I find that annoying.

I'd in actual fact prefer the OSD to bring up a menu of the choices available rather than using a single line in the OSD, that way I can see all the choices at a glance and select the one I want rather than having to scroll through them and then try to remember what they all were.

Richard

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 01:34:57 pm »

Reading about "Disabled Volume" mode made me curious, but i couldn't find anything in the options.
Care to explain what exactly it does (i assume disable any volume control?), and how to activate it?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 01:40:40 pm »

It's an indication that you are bitstreaming.  No volume control is possible at that point.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 01:41:46 pm »

I see. Well i also use an external amp, and i always leave my PC volume at 100%, i just interpreted this as some option to actually disable volume control. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 01:53:23 pm »

'Disabled Volume' is a volume mode for cases where you don't want a volume slider in Media Center.  It would probably be ideal for nevcairiel's situation (until we convince him to use Media Center as his preamplifier).

When bitstreaming, the volume will say 'Bitstreaming' and be disabled but this is independent of the 'Disabled Volume' mode.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 02:22:25 pm »

.... (until we convince him to use Media Center as his preamplifier).

we?   ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 03:01:57 pm »

Reading about "Disabled Volume" mode made me curious, but i couldn't find anything in the options.
Care to explain what exactly it does (i assume disable any volume control?), and how to activate it?
Player > Volume > Disable Volume or use the volume icon to the left of the volume slider. Yes, it does disable volume control.

If used with the Null Audio Renderer it has the reverse effect and you actually get sound as you move the volume slider to the left.  ;D

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 03:41:31 pm »

(until we convince him to use Media Center as his preamplifier).

Thats more a matter of hardware, not software. :D
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 04:07:08 pm »

Next build:
Changed: When using 'Disabled Volume' volume mode, the volume isn't offered on the OSD.

That'll work. Thanks.

I don't agree on the auto changing thing I'm afraid. Same as Richard. I like to read what options there are before making a decision to select one.
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 04:11:37 pm »

Are you in 'Disabled Volume' mode?  It seems reasonable to not show volume in that case.

I don't like having to press enter on _any_ menu.  It confuses me.  So I would make channels not do this.  It would be better for it to be based on a timer so it doesn't execute until you stop changing for a second.

And..... I'd especially not want this for channels. The whole reason the xmltv data is great in the OSD is that while watching a program, you can quickly and easily scroll thru to see what else is on now. This is definitely a case where you don't want mc to switch channels automatically.
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 07:04:00 pm »

And..... I'd especially not want this for channels. The whole reason the xmltv data is great in the OSD is that while watching a program, you can quickly and easily scroll thru to see what else is on now. This is definitely a case where you don't want mc to switch channels automatically.

Totally agree,  I think it used to change automatically a while back and used to drive me mad.  I'd scroll through to look at what else was on and if I didn't return to the current program it would change on me.   In fact I stopped using the OSD for that reason.

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 06:50:40 am »

I would just like a way to choose what items to show. Everything except seek and subtitles is a waste of key presses for me. It annoys me every day that I cycle through all the other options, if I go the wrong way.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 05:13:59 pm »

I would just like a way to choose what items to show. Everything except seek and subtitles is a waste of key presses for me. It annoys me every day that I cycle through all the other options, if I go the wrong way.

Yeah, a way to choose would be the ideal but I thought I'd tackle the problem in baby steps  ;D
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 05:18:04 pm »

I go the wrong way almost every time.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 07:32:49 pm »

I go the wrong way almost every time.

Poor Mrs. glynor!  :P

I'm in the "rather press ENTER to execute the change" camp.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 08:39:52 pm »

Count me amount the press Enter/Select camp. This is how every other device I own does OSD and it is very hard to break. Please enable this as an option.

As for configuring what is available on the OSD, that would be awesome. I to only use some things infrequently and have to cycle through them all to get where I want.

A fullscreen menu for "via the menu button" on a remote would be great for less common options while the down arrow menu is really nice to have for basic features.

MrHaugen

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 02:36:13 am »

I would also like the option to press enter/ok to select and use OSD items. It's current way is to "accidental" in my opinion, when you don't know exactly how it's working.
By using enter to actively selecting and exiting OSD items, you are also left with an unused right key press that could activate some stuff...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 11:06:55 am »

Count me amount the press Enter/Select camp. This is how every other device I own does OSD and it is very hard to break. Please enable this as an option.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on the "arrows to activate" versus "enter to activate and then arrows to control" system.  With the exception, of course, of the "scrub bar" part of the OSD (advancing and rewinding content), though I don't think anyone meant to include that.

However, I would say that I would prefer consistency.  If the current system is bad, it is bad, so change it, don't add an option.  Then I end up with some machines that work one way and others that work another, and it ends up being more difficult for us all to help support people on the main board.

It does seem like from these comments that maybe, after using it a bit, there is a consensus building that requiring "enter" to activate a particular OSD item would be more user friendly, even if it sacrifices some convenience.

As far as configuring the order... That's also fine, but I'd probably never use it.  Again, if the order is bad, maybe we can come up with a better one.

MrHaugen

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 11:57:08 am »

Consistency would be the best yes, and I would not like enter on the bars either. It's a though one...
Quite frankly I would be happy enough with option to disable all the stuff I NEVER use. Like Hue/Saturation, video, audio track and so on.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 06:53:11 pm »

Actually, maybe it is more of a remote control vs keyboard thing. I only use it with a remote control. Perhaps it makes more sense if using a keyboard? Is that why people differ on this issue?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 10:09:21 am »

Actually, maybe it is more of a remote control vs keyboard thing. I only use it with a remote control. Perhaps it makes more sense if using a keyboard? Is that why people differ on this issue?

I can't see why that would make any difference.  A set of arrow keys is a set of arrow keys.  Unless some people are really annoyed by reaching their index finger up to the return key, but if so... I have no sympathy.  THAT is some real lazy there, if so.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 04:25:01 pm »

I personally don't like the fact that in the OSD the menu is so spread out as you can't group things. This is because enter/select is not required. If it were you could have all the audio streams be accessable via right and left arrows and selected by pressing enter. Or subtitles for example. If you have a large list of both, they add up to a really long list to scroll through. I consider that much more annoying than "reaching up for the Enter Key". :)

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 09:05:18 pm »

Blu-ray "Title" OSD menu: could this be changed so that left/right cycles thru the available titles but does not start playback UNTIL Enter is pressed? It can be tedious to have to wait for MC to start playback of each title when all I want to do is see what's available for selection. Switching channels in Live TV works like this (arrows + Enter to choose).

I still hope this will become an option one day, at least. Of course it needs to be consistent across all menu "lists" such as audio/video stream, subtitles etc etc

The only other criticism I have of the current OSD system is that there's still a lot of stuff in there I never use. It would be great to be able to configure what is shown. For me, I would hide all the PQ controls (brightness/saturation/Color etc) and horizontal/vertical shift controls. They just get in the way most of the time and I never use them (and I don't want anyone else messing with them either!).

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 02:51:24 am »

I find this annoying when using chapters in mkv files, especially when watching music shows. I'd like to be able to browse to the song I want so see and then start it. Now it feels slow and cumbersome when scrolling through the chapter list, often I end up clicking sideways one one too many and have to click back again.
I also find all the elements in the up/down list a bit annoying. Perhaps showing only those where you have choices would be better? If there are several audio streams then present that option, otherwise don't?

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 04:25:29 pm »

Slow and cumbersome is exactly how it feels to me too. So much so, that I often don't use a remote to select things. I'll use a wireless mouse and right click instead.

That really defeats the purpose of the OSD in my opinion. This isn't eye candy its functionality and ease of use so it's really important.

MrHaugen

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 02:19:01 am »

+1

It's way to crowded today. I don't like using it my self.
Pages: [1]   Go Up