INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a small problem with pause control causes a blue screen  (Read 1494 times)

userzweig

• Recent member
a small problem with pause control causes a blue screen
« on: December 09, 2011, 09:57:28 pm »

I have found that if I pause a song, and then try and play it back quickly (like within a second or two), the MC 17 will freeze up and I need to force close and restart the computer to get it to work again.

It's OK if I wait a while between pause and resume, but I get it if I try to double-click to stop, but the second click of the double click is a little too slow, and it is interpreted as a click and then another click.

Now that pause and stop are on the same button, I think it would be better if you could set a preference for whether to pause or stop when you click the button.  I've had a few problems with pause in previous MC versions, which have gone away for the most part in MC 17, but this one remains.

Thanks,

Bruce

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: a small problem with pause control
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:00:15 pm »

Does using Ctrl+P help?

Does using WASAPI - Event Style or ASIO as your audio output make a difference?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

userzweig

• Recent member
Re: a small problem with pause control causes a blue screen
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 01:18:59 pm »

No, it seems to happen on uncompressed 16-44.1khz files, which are coming in from a server.  It does not happen on mp3's.   Ctrl-p does not help, instead I get the 'media center 17 is not responding' message, and the cursor is a swirling circle (win 7's 'wait' cursor).

If I force quit, it seems OK, but MC 17 will not restart because some process is apparently still running.  So last night I did a force quit of mc 17, but did not reboot, and this morning it had a blue screen.

I just got it to happen again, by clicking the pause/play button a couple of times in rapid succession, while playing an uncompressed aif from the server.

Incidentally, I've done a lot of audio driver programming (I did an mp3 player for the apple newton, and ported it to windows ce back in the 1990's), so I have a sort of ingrained curiosity to try and diagnose this problem.

Thanks,

Bruce

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 08:59:30 pm »

Could you test other outputs, like WASAPI - Event Style?

A BSOD is a hardware / driver issue, and it's possible the driver will work better with a different output mode.

userzweig

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:42:57 am »

That was a good suggestion - I switched to wasapi.

Now, however, there is an anomalous behavior.  I repeated the 'click twice quickly on pause, but not fast enough to make a double-click.'  I did this a few times, and I got the player into a very interesting state.

The player is now in a state where clicking on pause the pause button produces a slight click, and the button turns to the 'play', the tooltip says ' resume - double click to stop', but the music is still playing!  It's not just the buffer, the progress bar still progresses, and the song completes.

In fact, it is impossible to pause it in this state.  The ctrl-p causes the button state to toggle, and there is a very slight click and a 100 ms or so pause, but the music never pauses for more than 100ms.

So, perhaps the problem is not in the driver after all.  There appears to be something not right in the pause logic.  Maybe the states in the FSM need to be a little more finely grained.

I took a video of the music playing and the pause control making a click and changing the button state but the music keeps playing, and I can email it to you if you're interested.

Bruce

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 11:47:09 am »

Are you using 'WASAPI - Event Style' (not 'WASAPI')? 

The reason I want you to test 'WASAPI - Event Style' is that pause commands don't even get exposed to the driver with that mode, so it rules out hardware issues.

Thanks.

userzweig

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 04:54:52 am »

It is OK with wasapi - event style.  So that must be what is needed.

It was interesting that when the system got into the state where pause just caused a click and a short pause, and the button state switched to 'paused' but the music kept playing (under plain wasapi), then even closing the program and reopening it did not fix things - i.e., once pause got messed up, it stayed messed up, and only a full reboot would fix it.

Anyhow, I'm going out of town for a week or so, so I won't be able to try out anything else till I get back. 

Thanks for the suggestion to use wasapi - event style.  It seems to fix things.

Bruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up