INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unicode support in Sync Handheld Playlists  (Read 1147 times)

Louis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • It only looks like an optical illusion
Unicode support in Sync Handheld Playlists
« on: December 10, 2011, 02:09:01 am »

Using Sync Handheld to a Sony Reader PRS-T1 (essentially a SD Card), the Playlists are not retaining the unicode characters in the mp3 file names. The mp3 files themselves are transferred intact with unicode. I've not had this problem syncing playlists with an iPod.
I've tried all the available options for Playlists in the Sync Handheld, but none appear to handle unicode.
Any ideas on how to deal with this problem? I'm running Win 7 x64.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Unicode support in Sync Handheld Playlists
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:25:13 am »

I don't think there's a standard way to specify the text encoding in an M3U.

I think Media Center can load an M3U saved in ANSI, UTF-8, or UTF-16.  I'm not sure what we save as (probably ANSI), but the decision is based on what works in most devices.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Louis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • It only looks like an optical illusion
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:08:13 am »

Yes, by default the playlist export is not supporting unicode, however separately from Handheld Sync action, if I choose to export a playlist there is an option for M3U8 Playlist and that does correctly retain the unicode characters. (eg .\..\..\Music\Shiina Ringo\三文ゴシップ\Shiina Ringo 椎名林檎 - 11 - 色恋沙汰.mp3) That's good!

Now if that playlist handling option could be part of the Sync Handheld action it would provide the support needed for Asian characters. That must already be happening with the iPod sync since there's no unicode problem for playlists to that device. In fact MC supports unicode really well, except in this one instance, which is important for anythingbutipod ;)

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 04:59:32 am »

It may or may not be related, but when syncing via MTP to a WinMo device, the generated playlists (.asx) are in ANSI. ASX playlists can be in UTF-8, but somehow it just is not.

When WMP syncs with a device it also does not generate UTF-8 playlists, so I'm guessing it's something with the MTP protocol more than anything. In my case, since it's a phone I wrote an application to match files heuristically so it's not that bad... good to have fixed, if possible, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up