INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New User - some questions  (Read 2541 times)

icstm

• World Citizen
New User - some questions
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:57:38 am »

Hi there,

I am giving JRiver a whirl as it appears like a good music player, however I like the the theatre view and has some questions.

• 1) Audio Now Playing - change format

2) Audio Now playing - dimmed backdrops?

3) Movies - DVD cover and fan art?

1) Audio Now Playing - change format
At the bottom of the screen in theatre view are four lines.  They are:

1.  [Artist] [Track] [Length]

2.  Volume

3.  Position.  This pearl moves.

4.  Rating.

Can this be changed? In particular the top row, much like you can do in the normal view where we can customise this to our hearts content from within the program

2) Audio Now playing - dimmed backdrops?
I love the fact that JRiver gets posters for the artist playing, however they looked dimmed, is there a way to change this?

3) Movies - DVD cover and fan art?
I have fanart stored in the same folder as the movies (as supported by MediaBrowser and xbmc) can these be used within JRiver, or does JRiver d/l its own?

In the default view, it does get backdrops when scrolling through your movies.

Many thanks for your help.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New User - some questions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 02:41:30 pm »

1. No, the Playing Now screen is not customizable. I doubt it ever will be.

2. Backgrounds are dimmed so the foreground information remains readable and foreground images are prominent.

3. You can assign your own cover art using Cover Art > Add from file... from the Standard View context or Tools menus. There is currently no way to use your own fanart for backgrounds. It would be nice if there were. There would have to be some way of configuring how to use local images vs. downloaded—maybe "display N images; choose local first." This would be of dubious benefit, however, if the local images come from the same sources (TMDb and TVDb).

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 02:55:48 pm »

2. You can change the intensity of the backdrops in options under Theater View/Apperance/Theme/Image Video mix amount. Here you can use between Subtle, Normal and Strong.

TLS

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:56:00 pm »

2. You can change the intensity of the backdrops in options under Theater View/Apperance/Theme/Image Video mix amount. Here you can use between Subtle, Normal and Strong.

How about that?! I had assumed "mix amount" meant the number of images used or how often the source was changed not the intensity of the background. ::)

I've always used 'Strong'. I see now 'Normal' is very dim—no wonder people are complaining about it. I don't see anything at all with the 'Subtle' setting—that seems to be a bug.

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 03:23:54 am »

Glad my question has helped others in the process  :P

thanks both!

For (1) it is a shame it does not use the same format that is set with the nornmal display.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 06:13:12 am »

I've always used 'Strong'. I see now 'Normal' is very dim—no wonder people are complaining about it. I don't see anything at all with the 'Subtle' setting—that seems to be a bug.

How it looks varies a lot with your display.  If you see nothing on 'Subtle', your display may be crushing blacks.

Another interesting thing in this same vein is the subtle gradient from left to right in the tree background with the Noire skin in Standard View.  Monitors that crush whites sometimes have a strong white stripe down the middle of the tree, or a series of bands.  On a display handling near-white properly, the background looks smooth.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

locust

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 06:48:18 am »

2. Backgrounds are dimmed so the foreground information remains readable and foreground images are prominent.

I always thought it would be cool if the text colour could dynamically change according to the background image. So that the text is the opposite colour of the surrounding background image..

It would make it easier to read in certain situations but a result could be that sometimes ugly rainbow text would appear depending on the background image. Also it probably would have to be done dynamically for every individual character. I don't know how much cpu would be eaten up by that.

None the less I think it could be a nice little feature.

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 03:48:23 pm »

How it looks varies a lot with your display.  If you see nothing on 'Subtle', your display may be crushing blacks.

That's it. I intentionally set my monitor for a "bolder" look for visibility (by increasing contrast and reducing brightness). I had mistakenly assumed that would make a 'Subtle' background easier to see. Thanks for the explanation. I now understand what "crushing blacks" means.

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 04:27:16 am »

On most TVs Brightness alters the way black is shown at the all important "16", contrast impacts how white is shown and the all important "235".

BTW, I have added a new question here as I cannot alter my OP:

4) Fading music in WASAPI
How do I get fade on pause / stop when using WASAPI? Clearly the volume does nothing as it is bitperfect, but it would be good if fading is selected to break the bitperfect for this effect, whilst it is needed for those couple of seconds.

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 04:31:35 am »

5) CUE sheets
This probably shows my lack of understanding of CUE sheet files really. But when I first imported my music library, it imported tracks twice, it appears once the actual music and once the CUE sheet.

I had to disable the importing of CUE sheets for albums to only have 1 entry per song.
What should be happening?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 06:55:27 am »

How do I get fade on pause / stop when using WASAPI? Clearly the volume does nothing as it is bitperfect, but it would be good if fading is selected to break the bitperfect for this effect, whilst it is needed for those couple of seconds.
Switch to "Internal" volume in the menu Player/Volume settings.

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 10:52:46 am »

Switch to "Internal" volume in the menu Player/Volume settings.
that worked, thanks. Are there any down sides to Internal?

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 10:57:48 am »

Getting along nicely, a couple more questions if I may...

6) Themes and Skins in Theatre view
A newsletter was recently sent that has a couple of skins at the bottom, which skins were they?

7)Media Info
How do I show (prefer as logos, but text is fine) the Audio and video format of a TV show / movie in theatre view

8)End time
I would also like the end-time displayed in theatre view (ie runtime + current time)
Is this possible? I like the hassle free approach I can take in MediaBrower to ensure the current file will finish before my "bed time" :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up