INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wow I missed this in the build log..  (Read 2665 times)

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
Wow I missed this in the build log..
« on: December 10, 2011, 06:55:56 pm »

I think this was in .47

4. NEW: From memory audio playback will use up to 1GB instead of 256MB (after 256MB it checks against available memory to avoid using swap).

Thank you Thank you!!

I still wish the amount of ram to be used could be user settable but way nice improvement.
Just to make clear in my own mind, MC will now load say like a playlist of files up to a gig into ram and play it from ram ?

HiFiTubes

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Wow I missed this in the build log..
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 07:54:27 pm »

Good question, not sure. How would this act to help mitigate latency issues when trying to play audio on a client that is say 192kHz? Previously this could "overload" the client even with sufficient bandwidth.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:09:56 pm »

Good question, not sure. How would this act to help mitigate latency issues when trying to play audio on a client that is say 192kHz? Previously this could "overload" the client even with sufficient bandwidth.

You shouldn't use memory playback when playing over a network or wifi.  The default behavior of reading gradually is ideal in those cases since it's too hard on the system to read ahead.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
  • World Class Referance Playback!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 09:49:38 pm »

I have a 3TB USB 3 External HD plugged into the USB 3 port and using memory playback option. Just a AWSOME memory playback device. So prestine just JAW dropping for me. Also USB 3 provides 5Gb throughput.  :o  Thanks for the increase in memory playback!  ;D

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 02:00:33 am »

for me it's not a sound quality issue, It's ideally a reliability enhancement for my computer.
I drive a class 8 big truck, and banging around in the truck is my computer streaming music/audiobooks to my phone that I use for playback. (Gizmo Rocks)
anything i can do to let my hard disks spin down to a safe park is a really good thing.
It would be so really really great to spool up my playlist for the day up into ram and play it from there.

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:00:02 am »

It would be so really really great to spool up my playlist for the day up into ram and play it from there.

I'm not sure how practical it would be, but have you considered using a flash drive? That would have more capacity and wouldn't be volatile like memory. I'm not sure because I don't do such things, but it seems to me you could configure a flash drive as a handheld, sync your playlist to it, and then play them from there. Playing them from the flash drive using MC/Gizmo would require (I suppose) those files be imported to the library, and then played using a view restricted to the flash drive. :-\

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 09:22:01 pm »

I'm not sure how practical it would be, but have you considered using a flash drive? That would have more capacity and wouldn't be volatile like memory. I'm not sure because I don't do such things, but it seems to me you could configure a flash drive as a handheld, sync your playlist to it, and then play them from there. Playing them from the flash drive using MC/Gizmo would require (I suppose) those files be imported to the library, and then played using a view restricted to the flash drive. :-\

I have done what you suggest I have also messed around with ram disks they all work, but are a huge pita to maintain.
I wish I could just instruct MC fully utilize the resources it has available to it, I have 16gb of ram in my server( 64bit os) and I would love love love to dedicate 2-3gb of ram specifically as an audio playback pool. But i am probably just dreaming here. Does anyone know if the play from memory function of MC is per file or does it load as many files that will fit in the 1gb of memory MC now uses?

I know i am probably the only user of MC that this is a critical feature for so I will make this offer,
I will pay JRiver $1000.00 in $200.00 monthly payments in advance if you wish for the ability to set my own memory size or make it completely dynamic i would like to just right click on a playlist and there would be an option to play from memory MC would then load the whole playlist into ram and play it from there.

I am absolutely serious about this offer it's not a joke if you want the money in advance just tell me where to start making the payments you will have your first payment tomorrow.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 09:33:30 pm »

I think rick.ca could also be suggesting a Solid State hard drive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 10:29:23 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Yup ssd solution would be fantastic if they were affordable, currently 1Tb ssd run $1300.00 a pop i would need 4 just to copy over my existing library of audio alone, (yeah I have a wopping butload of audio :-) Also I have read about a lot of these drives just turning into bricks randomly in various tech forums.
i may in time experiment with ssd solutions when the 1tb ssd come down to $500.00 range in price.
it's cheaper if i can get JRiver MC to just do what I would like it to do.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 11:41:15 pm »

I have 16gb of ram in my server( 64bit os) and I would love love love to dedicate 2-3gb of ram specifically as an audio playback pool.

Maybe I was making some inappropriate assumptions. Like you were using a notebook with maybe 8 Gb of RAM in the truck, not a server with 16 Gb. I also assumed a RAM drive might not be stable enough for that sort of environment. It would be a bummer to load up memory with a 12-hour playlist, then lose Windows (i.e., something requiring a reboot) because of a bump in the road (or whatever). It doesn't seem worth it when the same playlist would fit on a 4 Gb flash drive (or most of it, even if FLAC files) costing $10. Another relevant assumption is that your "playlist for the day" is indeed for the day and doesn't need to be changed or updated. It would be a PITA to do that.

No, I was trying to stay within a $20 budget—another presumptuous assumption. ;D

I don't currently have a use for it, but with 32 Gb flash drives for less than $50, I was curious about the feasibility of syncing a selection of music to a portable installation. According to a smartlist, that would hold 1000+ FLAC files with a playtime of 3.4 days. It might be a convenient way to take some tunes to the office or other location where there's a suitable computer available.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 11:44:14 pm »

If I was every going to build a carputer, bet your ass it'd have an SSD.

Of course, I don't think I'm ever going to build a carputer anymore.  I once wanted one, but for the cost and convenience?  That's what an iPad is for.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 02:03:17 am »

Maybe I was making some inappropriate assumptions. Like you were using a notebook with maybe 8 Gb of RAM in the truck, not a server with 16 Gb. I also assumed a RAM drive might not be stable enough for that sort of environment. It would be a bummer to load up memory with a 12-hour playlist, then lose Windows (i.e., something requiring a reboot) because of a bump in the road (or whatever). It doesn't seem worth it when the same playlist would fit on a 4 Gb flash drive (or most of it, even if FLAC files) costing $10. Another relevant assumption is that your "playlist for the day" is indeed for the day and doesn't need to be changed or updated. It would be a PITA to do that.

No, I was trying to stay within a $20 budget—another presumptuous assumption. ;D

I don't currently have a use for it, but with 32 Gb flash drives for less than $50, I was curious about the feasibility of syncing a selection of music to a portable installation. According to a smartlist, that would hold 1000+ FLAC files with a playtime of 3.4 days. It might be a convenient way to take some tunes to the office or other location where there's a suitable computer available.

Setting up a usb flash drive does work I have used that workaround before, the issue there is that MC does not clean up after it's self vary well. let me try  to explain,
if i set up a flash drive as an external device and set any kind of directory structure like
[genre]\[author]\[book series]\[book title]
MC will initially copy the files correctly, but when I am done listening to a playlist and un check it for sync Mc shows on the sync that it is removing files but in reality nothing is changed on the flash drive.
I have to manually clean off the flash disk and re sync with the new playlist.
i know this sound trivial but it can be quite time consuming and with me I need a solution that i don't have to fiddle with for an hour before I start driving for the day. dispatcher's get pissy when I don't get moving in the morning when i should.

If I was every going to build a carputer, bet your ass it'd have an SSD.

My truck Server's boot drive is an ssd 60 gig so far I have had no problem with it but i don't trust it to hold any media yet.

my data drives are all 1TB 2.5 laptop drives , 2.5 drives are the only type of drive that seem to stand up to the pounding they take i typically have to only replace them once every 1.5 years. i think it helps that I have them auto park as soon as they are not needed by the system. I have used 3.5 inch drives only briefly when I first started driving truck i went through 5 of them in less then a year and that was that for me, 2.5 drives so so much more reliable for me. Soon i will have enough drives to set up a raid 6 array with 8 data drives all 2.5 1tb . 

Pages: [1]   Go Up