INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Basics - Errors trying to access library  (Read 1497 times)

sakendrick

• Recent member
Some Basics - Errors trying to access library
« on: December 11, 2011, 07:09:11 pm »

I have a PC where my media is stored, another lap top that I want to use for the contolling playback, and several devices that I want to play to, namely Panasonic Viera TVs, Denon 2312CI AVR, and WD TV Live Hub.

I tried to get server running on the PC with the library - not sure if it is
Then I have the player on the laptop.  When I try to load the library from the PC I get an error "There was a problem retrieving files from the DLNA server"

But I can see files, and if I try to play them it just says "Something went wrong with playback"

The wiki documentation is not very good in terms of basic how. to information.  I searched the forum and I found a similar thread that was never answered.

Trying out JRiver and Twonky.  Any help is very much appreciated.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Some Basics - Errors trying to access library
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 07:40:41 pm »

Let's start with your PC to PC setup.

On both systems, you enable:

Options > Media Network > Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA

On the server system (your Desktop, where your media files reside), set these also:

Access Key: set one up by selecting and obtaining one
  Authentication (username and password setup - create these yourself)

Now, on your laptop, do likewise, except use the same Access Key and Authentication configured in the server above.

Now, on your laptop, you can go to File > Library > Library Manager... and select your desktop MC's library which you should see.  It will now look like the MC on your desktop, accept you have Here and There notions where you can play music.

This uses Library Manager.  You can use DLNA too, but that's best for other devices.  We'll get to this shortly...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 08:39:27 pm »

thanks!  I seem to be in business.. I'll keep going with DLNA devices now.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:49:28 pm »

sorry... just for clarification.  I got this working by adding a library and using the access key from my office pc.  But you suggest going into settings on the laptop and setting the same access key as my office pc, do I understand that correctly?  I'm not sure how to do that, it only ever automatically generates a new key.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:03:08 pm »

Sorry, I was doing this from memory.  If the access key works and shows your library, that's what you want.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up