INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: portable install problem  (Read 1051 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
portable install problem
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:16:43 am »

I have MC installed on a thumb drive.  I clicked on the .exe in the folder from the thumb drive, and it seemed to launch the version installed on the computer.  I couldn't find any way to verify which version was running, other than the version of the program running, which was not the most recent version, which told me it wasn't running the version on the desktop.  so, I updated via the help menu, and it relaunched MC, but again it seemed it was running the program from the desktop.  I know this because it had all the smartlists, views, and zones from the desktop, which I never intended to put on the thumb drive.

I couldn't find any way to verify, so I just unplugged it and brought it to work.  Now, upon running it from the drive at work (I do NOT have MC installed on this machine), it shows me it's running version .40, which means it was never updated, and was, in fact running the version from the desktop at home.

What is the "proper" way to launch the portable version, and to upgrade it on a machine that has MC installed?
pretend this is something funny

Lasse_Lus

Re: portable install problem
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:46:53 am »

Quote from: JustinChase
I have MC installed on a thumb drive.  I clicked on the .exe in the folder from the thumb drive, and it seemed to launch the version installed on the computer.
it will if you also have the "normal" install open at the same time, tick allow multiple instances under options..both normal and portable install

I couldn't find any way to verify which version was running,

Check under Playing now and library, the tooltip should advise if the library is located on the thumbdrive

..I updated via the help menu,

don't update portable via "help", follow Glynor's advise here
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68069.msg458024#msg458024
MT5FR

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:22:50 pm »

I didn't have the desktop version running when I tried to run the portable install.  I opened the thumbdrive in windows explorer, navigated to the MC folder, then double-clicked the Media Center.exe from that folder to open the portable version.  this seems to have opened the version from the desktop install.

whether or not I have "allow multiple instances to run", this should NOT open a different version than the one I specified in this manner.

I can confirm that the portable version I'm running at the office now does show the library path under playing now, thanks for that info :)

I suspect that the update... from the help menu didn't work because it had actually launched the desktop version.  However, something still isn't right.  When I tried to update via this method, I had to change to the beta version, and it asked for my password.  It then downloaded and offered to restart to finish the install, then the version showed the correct one.

When I got to the office and opened it, it was running version .40, and the update was still set to Stable.

In trying to do some stuff here, MC froze, and eventually had to be killed.  When it restarted, it installed the update, and then showed the correct, new version.  I just checked again right now, and it's still set to update to the stable version.

I suspect there's some "crosstalk" going on somehow, but I don't pretend to understand how any of this could happen.  Regardless, something is clearly not right.

Please let me know if there's any specific testing I can do, or logs I can provide to help track down the issues.

Thanks.
pretend this is something funny

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 09:33:50 pm »

I see the same behavior...
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 02:48:28 am »

Check MediaCenter.exe is not running in the background prior to launching.
It maybe that you have MediaServer running or similar.

I have both a portable (MC16) and a standard install MC17 and don't see issues at present.
Pages: [1]   Go Up