INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Find & Replace  (Read 1408 times)

ashbel

Find & Replace
« on: December 16, 2011, 04:57:10 am »

For ease of reading I always change the word "and" (space before and after) to an ampersand.  With the current build I tried doing this across the board (which included a folder, Windows 7) and it added a \ immediately after the ampersand.  Now I have a folder that will not delete and no utilities that I know of will fix it (because it's named "2003 &" and windows doesn't recognise the short name in the command prompt being there.

At any rate, please verify that this is not something broken in MC 17.  Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Find & Replace
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 09:13:45 am »

I haven't been able to reproduce an issue here.

I did find "and " with "& " and saw that it worked fine in a folder name.

Then I manually renamed a folder to "2003 &" and was able to edit the name again in Explorer.

Any other details, like an exact input filename and set of parameters we should test?  You can export the settings you're using on the Rename, Move, & Copy dialog using the 'Preset...' button.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ashbel

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:43:00 pm »

I haven't been able to reproduce an issue here.

I did find "and " with "& " and saw that it worked fine in a folder name.

Then I manually renamed a folder to "2003 &" and was able to edit the name again in Explorer.

Any other details, like an exact input filename and set of parameters we should test?  You can export the settings you're using on the Rename, Move, & Copy dialog using the 'Preset...' button.

Thanks.

I came upon it under these parametres:

folder:  2003
folder (several) - Aly and Fila - etc (there were about 8 of them)
filename inside each folder matched the folder.

I was in the explorer, material not in the library, and attempted to use & to replace " and ".  I ended up with one folder "Aly &"  inside "2003 &" and nothing else changed.  The nested folder deleted but the parent "2003 &" will not.  It will move but it will not delete.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 07:00:02 pm »

Did you try a reboot? Sometimes a running process may prevent file or folder deletion, though it seems odd that you can move the folder if it is somehow locked.

You could also try unlocker: http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:32:09 pm »

I *think* I have figured out what happened. You used the find and replace section of the rename, move copy tool, (at least one time) instead of the simple find and replace tool.

Now some of your filepath's '\' have been replaced with '&', or you tried to remove the escape '\'s and have got yourself in trouble. Does this sound plausible to anyone?

ashbel

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 06:05:40 am »

moot now.  Drive died.
Pages: [1]   Go Up