INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center  (Read 281273 times)

chirpp

• World Citizen
Re: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #400 on: June 13, 2012, 03:03:20 pm »

I also have another issue so thought I would separate my post.  I was working good using my regular machine as far as getting access to it from the outside, streaming to my iPhone on 3G, etc.  (some small issues, not enough to worry about).  The only way I could get it to work this way was to enter the ipaddress in and the port, but my ip is the public address, not my home ip address. I know there is an option to use the Access key internally, have it find the server on the internal network and then enter the outside ip in the Global Address area. However, that never worked for me.  (So I guess that is one issue).  This entry in JRemote is called Kitchen

My issue is when I added my 2nd server to the list in JRemote last night, to test on a new computer, it lost all of my Kitchen settings.  on my new test computer, called Video, i used a newly generated key, and used the ip (which is different than Kitchen of course). I then had 2 entries but both said Video!  Both were set to the video server too. I don't remember what was different about the 2, sorry. I ended up deleting 1. 

So i am at work now and am adding the Kitchen server back in. I enter my dns name and port and credentials.  It fails saying the credentials are incorrect.  I remove the credentials on the server side and save, and then I can get in.  I add my credentials back in on the server side and I can still get in. However, I now have 2 identical entries on my phone, and my previous “video” one is gone!

Any thoughts?

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #401 on: June 13, 2012, 04:44:20 pm »

Chirrp,

Were you attempting to rename more than one server?  When I renamed a server, if I renamed a second it would delete the first and show two identical servers.

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #402 on: June 13, 2012, 05:19:09 pm »

Chirrp,

Were you attempting to rename more than one server?  When I renamed a server, if I renamed a second it would delete the first and show two identical servers.

-patrick

Hey Patrick!

No I was adding a new one, different ip and config all together.

Thanks!

pcstockton

« Reply #403 on: June 13, 2012, 07:57:25 pm »

Chirrp,

What I mean was.

Connect to a Server.
Change the default "name" the server announces.
Connect to a 2nd server
Change its default "name" the server announces.

When I do the above, Server #1 will rename itself as whatever I called #2 and change its settings to match.  Effectively #2 is duplicated.

I could only manage to rename one server.  If I renamed only one or none everything was fine.

I asked because you were experiencing the same behavior.  Apparently with a different stimulus though.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #404 on: June 14, 2012, 12:24:51 pm »

Interesting. I previously had done that. My "kitchen" device is actually seen as t400. So I renamed it a while ago. Then when I recently added "video" I should have gotten "kitchen" and " video, but got 2 " video" names instead.

Now I ran through the scenario again without renaming t400 to kitchen,  and adding a second server still duplicates my settings.

Does that make sense?

Thanks!
Pete

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #405 on: June 24, 2012, 09:16:47 am »

Hi Guys, sorry for the absence.

Just want to give an update on the progress of the next version.

The new interface for the iPad is almost done. I think those that are using JRemote on a iPad will be very happy with this next version.

Here are some of the main highlights:

- All controls and options are now available in a new left bar and bottom bar.
- JRemote will use all menu options defined in MC, even custom root items. This means you can more easily customize the appearance and order of the menu in MC.
- Navigation now includes sub-navigation after selecting a main item. For example when you click audio, the navigation bar will switch to show 1. level items like "artist", "album" etc.
- Bottom bar includes all play controls as well as cover art, current track, volume, progress bar, zone switching and playlist.

The new interface has been designed to use as little screen space as possible. For example, the playlist and progress bar is accessed by dragging out a specific area of the bar.

After finishing up the design, I will work on the bugs you guys have reported so far.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #406 on: June 24, 2012, 02:48:54 pm »

chirpp, what you are describing is a bug, I just fixed it now.

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #407 on: June 24, 2012, 04:30:28 pm »

Great! Are you referring to the crash when opening albums issue? Or the multiple media server issue?

I'd prefer the first fix first but will take whatever you provide. 

Thanks again!
Pete

pcstockton

« Reply #408 on: June 24, 2012, 06:37:43 pm »

Thanks LesPaul!  I look forward to the update.  You dont need to apologize for anything.  Your attention and development have been stellar.

Cheers!
Patrick

vagskal

« Reply #409 on: June 25, 2012, 05:40:31 am »

Thanks again for this nice app. Since you are polishing the iPad app interface I thought it was time to give some input again. Some of the things below I  may have suggested earlier.

The header of the file list

I think you should always use [Album artist (auto)] in the header of the file list. As it is now the track artist(s) for the first track is shown in the header for VA albums instead of (Multiple artists) or Various or something like that.

Could also the bitrate be shown in the header of the file list?

I think "15 tracks" would look better than "15 Tracks" as it is now in the header of the file list.

Is it possible to use [Date] instead of [Year] in the header of the file list?

If a level is skipped, the thumbnail in the header of the file list still shows the thumbnail from the originating level, not the thumbnail for the actual level. If an artist only has one album the album level is skipped (fine) and the file list is immediately shown, but the thumbnail in the header of the file list is still the artist art, not the album art for the album.

If the file list is empty, the No media info has a trailing comma, i.e. "No media,".

The file list

Would it be possible to display also track # in the file list when small thumbnails view is selected? I have added singles cover art to VA albums and compilations and for some of them, like the Rolling Stone Magazine Top 500 Songs mock album I have made, the track # information is quite essential.

Would it be possible to display multiple artists like this Artist1, Artist2 & Artist3 instead of  Artist1; Artist2; Artist3?

If [Disc #] is not empty, would it be possible to show [Disc #]-[Track #]?

In file list showing multiple albums, it would be really useful to have the album year shown as well, i.e. [Album] ([Year]) - [Artist].

I think the file list shown as thumbnails should show also [Artist]. As I said I have added singles cover art to the tracks in VA albums and if I look at the covers as thumbnails I can only see the song title, not the artist. I would not mind a two line display of text under the thumbnails.

Metadata

Did you not some time ago say that all MC fields would be available in the metadata list? I cannot see my custom fields for instance.

If there are multiple items in a list in one field, searching by that field yields no result. I think searching always should be done on the first item in the list.

I think the "Released" metadata field should display the full date, not just the year.

A search returns also images (I have imported the artist art folder into MC), but when I select the image JRemote crashes.

The album header in the search results should show also album year, i.e. [Album] ([Year]). Since there seems to be enough space, would it not be possible to show also the [Album artist (auto)] for the album?

Would it be possible to have a metadata option in the search results view? That way I could really surf my collection.

Now playing view

In the header of the now playing list, showing the current track, show also [Date], i.e. [Album] ([Date]), and bitrate.

In the playlist, it would be useful to have the album year shown as well, i.e. [Album] ([Year]) - [Artist].

Having an option to show small thumbnails in the playlist would be nice.

____

Playback on my 1st generation iPad (only wifi) is not working (I am taken to the now playing view and the playlist is there, but no sound and the play controls do nothing and duration for the "playing" track is 0:00). Is there anything special I must set in MC? I have tried the various convert options and all bitrate modes in JRemote.

pcstockton

« Reply #410 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52:28 am »

I think "15 tracks" would look better than "15 Tracks" as it is now in the header of the file list.

Is it possible to use [Date] instead of [Year] in the header of the file list?

Vagskal....  I personally do not want much of what you propose.  You've gotta remember that your suggestions affect everyone and the app shouldn't be tailored exclusively to your style of browsing.

For example, many of us dont use the DATE tag.

From a style point of view, why would you want "Tracks" not capitalized.  Lower case looks far less polished to me.

vagskal

« Reply #411 on: June 25, 2012, 10:05:22 am »

For example, many of us dont use the DATE tag.

The [Year] and [Date] fields are connected in MC. If you enter a year in the [Year] field that data will fill also the [Date] field, and if you enter a full date in the [Date] field the [Year] field will be filled with the year part of that date. Using [Date] instead of [Year] would therefore not affect those using only the [Year] field, but would benefit those who have entered a full date in the [Date] field and would like to see that.

From a style point of view, why would you want "Tracks" not capitalized.  Lower case looks far less polished to me.

For consistency only. The file format info (flac, mp3) in the header is not capitalized.

vagskal

« Reply #412 on: June 25, 2012, 03:16:55 pm »

The header of the file list

If multiple albums are shown in the file list, "Various" is shown in the header of the file list even when the [Artist] (and [Album artist (auto)]) is the same for all tracks in the file list.

john925

• Recent member
« Reply #413 on: June 28, 2012, 08:41:07 am »

JRemote on an Ipad gives me a lot joy and convenience to use.
But, I really hope that Metadata can show all the customed Library field.  I've added a new Library Field, Opus number, for classical music.  For example, I wish that I can click on the Opus shown in the Metadata to list all my Beethoven Symphony No.5, which is Op.67. 

Another similar-functioning app, MyRemote, is capable to show the customed field in the Metadata. 

Denti

« Reply #414 on: June 29, 2012, 04:47:13 pm »

Just downloaded this and love it, but ... but ... it keeps dropping me, saying it's lost connection to my server and asking me to manually reconnect. My iPad hasn't lost connection to the router, and neither has my HTPC.

What's going wrong?

EDIT: perhaps a wireless adapter issue. Hard to tell, since I get dropped even when the connection on the HTPC stays in place. It's been better ever since I moved the adapter out of the corner of the room.

ANOTHER question: in playing now mode 24/96 files are showing as 44100Hz. Is there a fix for this?

Third query: in the list views artists are sorted by first name, where I have MC configured to sort in Theater View by last name. How can adjust this?

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #415 on: July 01, 2012, 12:42:34 pm »

Nice feedback guys.

Vagskal, i appreciate your detailed suggestions. I will add at least some of them.

I will also make sure that all metadata tags are displayed in the next release.

I am on vacation at the moment, will be back in a week.

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #416 on: July 02, 2012, 05:10:57 pm »

Nice feedback guys.

Vagskal, i appreciate your detailed suggestions. I will add at least some of them.

I will also make sure that all metadata tags are displayed in the next release.

I am on vacation at the moment, will be back in a week.

Hello Lespaul,

Great work!!

As I work directly with automation with A/V integration, I showed your app to some customers and the most wanted features are:

1- Ability to link and unlink zones from Ipad or Iphone/Ipod. This feature is what makes most people choose another solution instead of JRiver MC/JRemote. I think MC doesn't have the commands to link/unlink zones directly, but you could integrate that with EventGhost. It could increase your sales and sales of MC a lot, because this could turn these products on REAL multi-zone solution without the need to access the computer!
As an example: Some customers have one zone for each room and they want to link/unlink some or all zones for a party. If using MC, they would need to access the computer to link/unlink zones. They don´t want to access  the computer to do that, they want link/unlink zones using their iOS devices.

2- Lyrics: The customers want lyrics. I think this would be easy to implement.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #417 on: July 02, 2012, 05:56:12 pm »

Issues I have noticed using this great app

1.  Recent includes both audio and video files.  Please filter out any video files.

2.  When playing audio files on. Playlist, the album cover does not always get updated (although meta data does update).

3. While I understand that this app does not play video files, if u choose one, the app shuts down.  Why not just filter it out until video works?

Dave

pcstockton

« Reply #418 on: July 02, 2012, 07:57:35 pm »

Suggestions???  Easy maybe.  Expensive yes.  Budget friendly AND legal, doubt it.

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #419 on: July 03, 2012, 12:58:52 am »

Hello Lespaul,

Great work!!

As I work directly with automation with A/V integration, I showed your app to some customers and the most wanted features are:

1- Ability to link and unlink zones from Ipad or Iphone/Ipod. This feature is what makes most people choose another solution instead of JRiver MC/JRemote. I think MC doesn't have the commands to link/unlink zones directly, but you could integrate that with EventGhost. It could increase your sales and sales of MC a lot, because this could turn these products on REAL multi-zone solution without the need to access the computer!
As an example: Some customers have one zone for each room and they want to link/unlink some or all zones for a party. If using MC, they would need to access the computer to link/unlink zones. They don´t want to access  the computer to do that, they want link/unlink zones using their iOS devices.

Be sure that your customers understand that "linked zones" in MC are not perfectly synchronized. How I wish they were though. I guess if there is no bleed between the zones it may not matter. When I want linked zones (in sync) I use my Squeezeboxes. Sonos devices can do it too.

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #420 on: July 03, 2012, 04:40:58 am »

Be sure that your customers understand that "linked zones" in MC are not perfectly synchronized. How I wish they were though. I guess if there is no bleed between the zones it may not matter. When I want linked zones (in sync) I use my Squeezeboxes. Sonos devices can do it too.

All tests I made with linked zones in MC using multi outputs sound cards worked perfectly. Perfect sync.
I think zones are not synchronized correctly when diffrent devices are used for some zones...

pcstockton, regarding the lyrics, there are a lot of lyrics sites. just parse one and you are done.

pcstockton

« Reply #421 on: July 03, 2012, 08:41:48 am »

pcstockton, regarding the lyrics, there are a lot of lyrics sites. just parse one and you are done.

Can you name a few that are both legal and free?

-patrick

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #422 on: July 04, 2012, 01:37:57 am »

Can you name a few that are both legal and free?

-patrick

As I know Lyrics sites considered ilegal only in USA if they where using advertisement for profit purposes. But apps like SoundHound search lyrics and even videos on Youtube and parse them. That's it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #423 on: July 04, 2012, 05:45:30 pm »

As I know Lyrics sites considered ilegal only in USA if they where using advertisement for profit purposes. But apps like SoundHound search lyrics and even videos on Youtube and parse them. That's it.

This doesn't matter.  JRemote wouldn't be collecting or distributing the lyrics, only displaying a text string from the file tags in MC, just like the default iOS Music App does.

Or did you mean for JRemote to collect the lyrics for you separately from what MC has in the database?  This seems like a weird thing for a music streamer/remote control app to do.  It would be better done on the server-side, I think.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wildsam

• Recent member
« Reply #424 on: July 06, 2012, 01:02:18 am »

Hi, I am really enjoying using jremote heaps but seem to be having a little trouble connecting to my server each day.
Initially I setup the access key and login and it connected fine but each day when I try and reconnect it fails.
Im not sure if its because my ip address is changing but when I try to connect it says cannot connect to server then when I delete the server and add the server again with the exact same key and login details it works every time.
Its a small issue but hopefully it can be resolved, maybe an auto re-add server option?
Cheers  :)

MichaelW1980

« Reply #425 on: July 12, 2012, 09:50:03 pm »

I've been using JRemote for Quite some time. Worked just fine on my iPod Touch 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S. Combined with the JRiver Media Server activated, its a good choice to be combined with third Party Blu-ray Player Software, as you can even close the Media Center and open it up again by simply tapping the Home button in the Remote Section of this App. That renders my HTPCs Keyboard useless - yay! Great work!

sunfire7

« Reply #426 on: July 13, 2012, 01:49:27 pm »

Lespaul, any chance you can add the ipod's eq presets to the app?  :)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

cpcat

Re: JRemote streaming to iphone/"Remote" tab on JRemote
« Reply #427 on: July 23, 2012, 07:53:16 am »

It seems streaming should work via the settings/options in the menu.  Is it actually up and running yet?  Won't work for me.
I can get MyRiver to stream (I have both)but I prefer to use JRemote as I like the interface better.

Also, if you go to "Remote" tab within the menus it acts like it will eventually be a virtual touchscreen interface for
JRiver like you'd see it on the PC--is this a future feature?  Nothing works on that screen for me for now...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: JRemote streaming to iphone/"Remote" tab on JRemote
« Reply #428 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:47 pm »

It seems streaming should work via the settings/options in the menu.  Is it actually up and running yet?

Works fine here.  I use it every day.

Sounds like something in your setup is messed up.  My guess?  Your firewall (perhaps the built-in Windows one) is blocking stuff.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #430 on: July 25, 2012, 02:59:47 am »

JimH,

You should work together with Lespaul to be able to handle zones linking/unlink. As I work with custom A/V installations, the only problem to use JRiver today as a multi zone solution is the zone linking as it cannot be done from mobile devices and the other software solution can do it. I think there is a good market for JRiver/JRemote as a multi-zone solution.

pcstockton

« Reply #431 on: July 25, 2012, 10:28:21 am »

Questions for the heavy users:

These questions only apply to streaming to the device, NOT as a Remote.  As a Remote this app works smashingly.  ZERO problems.

- Is anyone else experiencing a significant amount of crashes?
- How about playback stopping mid-song (not a crash per se, but pressing play a few times is required to restart)?
- When you use the Airplay button and send audio to an AE are you getting the above stoppage (i cant get through a single song)?

The crashes are the worst issue because you lose your current playlist. 

It seems to work better when the app is running and the screen is on.  Also it doesn't seem to matter what resolution I am playing.

Just a note: I have a nice highest-end Netgear Gigabit router, my internet connection is fairly quick (~2.5 MB/sec down and ~600KB/sec up).

Just wondering if anyone is using different settings than I am or what I might try.  Does this have anything to do with the AVtransportNext thing???  Sorry for my ignorance here.

Thanks!
Patrick

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #432 on: July 25, 2012, 04:18:22 pm »

How do I stream to my iPad from 17?
I cannot find the info on the JRemote website or here.
Probably somewhere here, but have not found
thanks for your help
Great App.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #433 on: July 25, 2012, 07:55:10 pm »

- Is anyone else experiencing a significant amount of crashes?

I'd say a medium amount.  Not every day, but more than many other iOS apps I use regularly.

- How about playback stopping mid-song (not a crash per se, but pressing play a few times is required to restart)?
- When you use the Airplay button and send audio to an AE are you getting the above stoppage (i cant get through a single song)?

Not often, though I have seen the "stuck" state as well.  It seemed worse with earlier versions.  The current one has been working well here.  Though, it does seem to be more "touchy" when I'm streaming to the device remotely (away from home) rather than at home on my local network.

It seems to work better when the app is running and the screen is on.  Also it doesn't seem to matter what resolution I am playing.

I haven't seen issues when the app is "in the front" but the device is locked.  However, I do agree that it is more troublesome when I "background" it.  This is almost certainly iOS memory limits.  The way iOS works when an app is in the background is basically "best effort, but we'll kill you if we have to".  I think the devices are just hitting memory limits.

This is reinforced by my experience using it on my iPhone 4, my wife's 4S, and my iPad 3.  Definitely more crashy and troublesome on my iPhone 4 than the other two devices.  I can easily "kill" it on my iPhone 4 by opening Navigon, for example.  But Navigon is huge and barely fits in the available RAM on my older iPhone as-is.  Opening Navigon also kills the built-in iOS music app sometimes, and regularly kills Safari (so that pages have to reload).  It just sucks up every bit of RAM available.

If you are using a 3GS and you're having trouble, I'd guess it is available RAM.  The 3GS is pretty limited.

pcstockton

« Reply #434 on: July 26, 2012, 05:52:40 pm »

Thanks for chiming in Glynor.  I think we are experiencing the same things at the same rate.  I dont intend to make it sound extreme.

Regarding crashes.... I honestly rarely get crashes on other apps on my iPhone 4 although I do use a very limited amount of apps compared to some.  I am a heavy user and Scrabble is really the only app that crashes back to the home screen about once a month.  This app seems to crash more than most, but ONLY when streaming to the device remotely.  It isn't a big deal really I was just curious if I was alone.  The only reason it is even a slight problem is when you create a decent sized playlist and it gets wiped out.  Maybe there is a way for these Playing Now queues to be "saved" as they are created and could persist after a crash???

The "stuck" state happens more often than the crashes.  Not a big deal.  Most of the time it happens while driving and moving through networks I guess?  I never lose cell service though.  This is all "in the city" in Portland, OR.  No service issues here.  And we know if happens when moving from one wifi to another or losing wifi.  I leave my Wifi off most of the time now to avoid this.

Regarding memory, if you are only running JRemote and close everything else down, is there anything else one can do to free up memory?  How much should JRemote be using?  The cache or buffer or whatever cant be that large can it?  A whole album of 320 is only 100MB or so.

I only have a 4 right now for phones and an iPad3.  I havent used the iPad much for streaming.  I typically use it as a remote when listening through the main system.  I'll try the iPad at work tomorrow and see how it gets along.

Thanks again G!
-Patrick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #435 on: July 26, 2012, 10:34:24 pm »

Regarding memory, if you are only running JRemote and close everything else down, is there anything else one can do to free up memory?  How much should JRemote be using?  The cache or buffer or whatever cant be that large can it?  A whole album of 320 is only 100MB or so.

iOS manages memory completely by itself.  The only things you can do are: keep it in the foreground when possible and don't run other "background capable" apps at the same time.  The application in the foreground always has preferential treatment for memory.

Closing down background apps manually is a waste of time (in most cases).  It can be, occasionally, a useful hack to "reset" misbehaving apps.  For example, GPS apps (when run in the background) seem to be a common "criminal".  But even then, they aren't able to impact the performance of the foreground app for long.  Mostly, restarting an app is used to fix an issue within that application (Facebook stops updating right, or borks up the photos like it always does).  Other than that kind of stuff, doing it manually is voodoo.

From Fraser Speirs's aforelinked article:

Let me be as clear as I can be: the iOS multitasking bar does not contain "a list of all running apps". It contains "a list of recently used apps". The user never has to manage background tasks on iOS.

Except in a few cases, which I'll explain, the apps that appear in the multitasking bar are not currently running. When you press the home button, iOS will tell the app to quit. In almost all cases, it quits, it stops using CPU time (and hence battery) and the memory it was using is eventually recovered if required.

He goes on to explain precisely why this is the case, and how it is enforced by the OS (TLDR: it gives the apps almost no choices, and very little time to react).  And, if you're still curious, he did this nice follow-up demonstration video showing the effects in action.

Background audio apps, in particular, are essentially forced to use the system framework to play their audio, and they are very limited in what they can do while in the background (especially once the audio stops playing, for any reason).  From the iOS Programming Guide:

When the UIBackgroundModes key contains the audio value, the system’s media frameworks automatically prevent the corresponding app from being suspended when it moves to the background. As long as it is playing audio or video content, the app continues to run in the background. However, if the app stops playing the audio or video, the system suspends it.

You can use any of the system audio frameworks to initiate the playback of background audio, and the process for using those frameworks is unchanged. (For video playback over AirPlay, you must use the Media Player framework to present your video.) Because your app is not suspended while playing media files, callbacks operate normally while your app is in the background. In your callbacks, though, you should do only the work necessary to provide data for playback. For example, a streaming audio app would need to download the music stream data from its server and push the current audio samples out for playback. You should not perform any extraneous tasks that are unrelated to playback.

PS.  I should add, I'm only guessing that issues are more common when it is backgrounded because it "seems" that way to me.  I haven't ever been bothered enough to test it methodically.  It is maybe a bit buggier than some other apps I use (though far less buggy than many games), but most of them have simply been around longer and haven't been changing as radically.  I don't consider it to be one of my "problem apps" in any way.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #436 on: July 27, 2012, 03:07:07 am »

Hi guys, thanks for the problem regarding crashes when streaming.
These kind of problems are quite hard to track down since they tend to happen randomly, but you have given me some clues as to what may cause the crash.

As glynor has mentioned, iOS manage all memory and application states. When you are running a foreground app that requires more memory than currently available, iOS will send a message to all the background apps requesting that they free as much memory as they can.JRemote will in this case clear all cover art images from its cache. If this is not enough, iOS will start to shut down apps.

The cover art is what takes the most memory. Streaming music should not be an issue.

I can’t promise a fix for this in the next release.  But I will start to investigate.

Lyrics

Regarding lyrics, as metioned there are legal problems with this. Most lyrics sites on the net are illegal since they don’t pay royalties to the record companies. Because of this they are usually taken down eventually.  Legal sites are crazy expensive if you want to use their API.

I would just like to mention that if you add the lyrics yourself to the metadata in MC, JRemote will display them in a separate tab in the metadata view.

I will investigate this issue further in an upcoming version.

The next version

The next version is about ready to ship, I am hoping to submit it for review early next week.
In this version there is much to look forward to for iPad users, but iPhone users may be disappointed as there are no real news for them. The iPhone version will get more attention soon.

I have added basic streaming support for mp4 video files. You can play a video by clicking on a video track, but adding them as part of a playlist is not supported in this release.

I have attached a small teaser for the new iPad interface.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #437 on: July 27, 2012, 08:29:08 am »

Robert,
You probably are working on this issue, but it is a show stopper.
Search command.
Ok in searching but the results are hard to understand.
Example
I have a fairly large library (100k or so).
Several versions of “crazy”
When I search on crazy it gives me all of them plus anything that has crazy in the name.
How can I tell which crazy is done by which artist?
Then how do I tell JRemote that I want to play it “next” or at end of “current playlist” or “replace playlist and play this song”.
Needs ability to understand what I am selecting.
Maybe there is a way, I just don’t see it.

Thanks for a really good product.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #438 on: July 27, 2012, 09:15:40 am »

Hi TXgary,

The search is limited by by MC`s webservice.
While their fuzzy search engine is quite amazing, the data you can get from the webservice is limited.
There is no possible way to get cover art or even get the artist or album for a track. You get the track name, and that's it.

I am hoping that JRiver will improve the search capabilities in upcoming versions.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #439 on: July 27, 2012, 09:19:41 am »

Is there an ability "once I click on it" to get more info prior to selecting as "next to play", "add to playlist" or "replace playlist"?
Perhaps drill down?
This is a definite requirement and would hope MC people can help in this problem.
Again, thanks for the nice product.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #440 on: July 27, 2012, 12:17:15 pm »

I have attached a small teaser for the new iPad interface.

Ooooh!  Me likey.  Me likey a LOT.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #441 on: July 27, 2012, 12:20:21 pm »

The search is limited by by MC`s webservice.
While their fuzzy search engine is quite amazing, the data you can get from the webservice is limited.
There is no possible way to get cover art or even get the artist or album for a track. You get the track name, and that's it.

I am hoping that JRiver will improve the search capabilities in upcoming versions.

I suspected this was the case, but thanks for confirming.

I too hope they improve this in the API.  I'm sure they'll listen to you on this, so thanks for commenting.

pcstockton

« Reply #442 on: July 27, 2012, 03:08:00 pm »

Thanks LesPaul!  I look forward to the update.  Looks sexy.

Also thanks for addressing, or just even thinking about, the memory/crash issue.  You are an exceptional developer.

One thought, would it be possible to create a view without any art or thumbnail caching?  Maybe some kind of "Remote" view for streaming off network?  I would certainly forgo art for a more stable experience when remotely streaming.

Thanks again.
Cheers! 
Patrick

mantis07

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #443 on: July 27, 2012, 04:51:27 pm »

Les, is there anyway to default to the last zone on startup?  I always have to select my zone everytime I start JRemote initally. It defaults to my Ipad when I want my PWD DAC.

Thx
Tony

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #444 on: July 28, 2012, 08:06:54 am »

I second the default startup zone issue

Dave

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #445 on: July 28, 2012, 03:36:09 pm »

Les, is there anyway to default to the last zone on startup?  I always have to select my zone everytime I start JRemote initally. It defaults to my Ipad when I want my PWD DAC.

Third.  (I asked for this once before way earlier in this thread.  I think you said you planned to add it, but it hasn't happened yet.)

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #446 on: July 28, 2012, 04:04:21 pm »

Ok guys, I will add the default zone per server option in this release, starting right now.

pcstockton, you could set default view to "list" if you do not want to see any cover art.
There really are no specific optimisations right now for when you connect remotely, except for longer timeouts on connections.
This is something that I will look at in a later release.

pcstockton

« Reply #447 on: July 28, 2012, 08:01:03 pm »

Ok guys, I will add the default zone per server option in this release, starting right now.

Woohoo!!  Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #448 on: July 29, 2012, 12:15:32 am »

Ha ha!  Thanks!

If you want to keep the UI simple, I think something like this would work perfectly for me:

Each server has a Play on device as default setting (rather than the current global setting).
Otherwise (if the above isn't enabled for that server), the server tries to re-use the same Zone it used last time on that server.
If the previously used Zone isn't available, then it does what it does now and defaults to Zone 0.

Then, each server "setup" would only need that one simple switch, and it would just "auto-remember" whatever you used last time.  That "feels right" to me.  But if it is easier to make it just an explicit choice per-server, then it is fine with me, as long as one of the choices is "On this Device".

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #449 on: July 29, 2012, 03:50:01 pm »

Lespaul,

Please try to fix the bug when streaming to device, sometimes the play button doesn't change to pause state, causing confusion.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 20   Go Up