INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center  (Read 281395 times)

dean70

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #750 on: December 10, 2012, 03:13:02 pm »

I am using JRemote on an iPhone - great product BTW  8)

With the recent ZoneSwitch function, JRemote does not track the zone change in JRMC18. You have to manually change the target zone in JRemote to match, so that you can control the volume.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #751 on: December 10, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »

It is still showing as running in the background, when I select the icon after dbl clicking home button, I get taken back to "select media server" screen.

Just a quick tip that has nothing to do with your particular issue:  Double-clicking the home button does not do what you think it does.

When applications show there, it does not mean it is "running in the background".  It just means that the application has been used recently.  That is a "most recently used apps" list, not a "running in the background" list.

Now, those apps may (or may not be) still actively running.  If they are, you can force them to quit by going into "jiggle mode" and hitting the little minus next to the app in question (this also clears out the restore state even for apps that have shut down).  But iOS does not directly expose a "currently running processes" function, like the Task Manager in Windows or top on Unix, unless you jailbreak.

There is a lot of misinformation about this around, including sometimes from the "geniuses" at the Apple Stores (though they've corrected their tune more recently since there was all kinds of kerfuffle about this).  To be completely clear:  Whether an app shows in that task switcher or not, has NO BEARING on whether it is still running and using RAM or CPU time.  You do NOT ever have to manually close applications on iOS during normal everyday operation.  The OS does that for you automatically.  The main thing the "jiggle" mode in the switcher is useful for is to clear the "restore state" for an application that got stuck in an unusable state, and you just want it to go back to the "default".  Apps can have restore states persist even through reboots and stuff.  This does not mean they are relaunched after reboot.  They just save their restore state out to "disk" (the flash storage they have to use on the device).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team

gruvytune

• Recent member
bug?
« Reply #753 on: December 10, 2012, 10:42:14 pm »

Hi. I'm loving the app. Just wondering about a likely bug. When I press on the add track button on the top left it brings down the pulldown menu of add track options. But then I'm stuck in it and can't back out without having to shut down the app and restart it.

Thanks!

cgf

• Recent member
« Reply #754 on: December 10, 2012, 11:18:11 pm »

Hello all, I am a heavy user and a happy one. One more feature request :)

It would be very usefull if we could filter one or more items from tags like genre, artists and keywords. I have many entries in video and photos. I am still waiting for full support of photos, I have 26.000+ photos all organized with collectorz and JRiver.

I propose again for a new payed version in order to further finance your excellend work

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #755 on: December 11, 2012, 02:37:05 am »

glynor - thanks for clarification on my nomenclature and for helping me understand a little better how apps may or may not be running in background.

Still, the issues persist - hoping to hear from lespaul on a possible fix, as at the moment, this crashing is making the app useless for me unfortunately.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #756 on: December 14, 2012, 07:41:02 am »

Not sure what has happend, but JRemote is crashing almost immediately when started. I have tried connecting to two different computers, each with there own library. I have also tried deleting the server and creating a new and a creating a new access key in JRiver, but it still crashes.

JRemote ver. 2.16
JRiver ver. 18.0.94

I have a friend running the same version of JRemote and MC 17.0.189 with exactly the same problem.

Has anybody seen this or any ideas on how to fix it? Just tries My River and that works.

TLS

M2P

• Recent member
« Reply #757 on: December 14, 2012, 11:51:22 pm »

Thank you. This was the issue and it is now resolved and understood.

Regards

M2P, this is likely because your computers IP address has changed. Get the ip address from your computer and replace the address
in JRemote (the blue arrow to the right of the saved server).

I have made a change in the next version where JRemote will try to fetch an updated IP address if the connection fails.
This will only work if you use access key for connecting, but it will solve problems like these.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #758 on: December 16, 2012, 10:28:46 am »

LesPaul,

as supposed before, rating is nearly impossible on the "Now Playing" screen on an iPad mini.
The stars are much too narrow and too small to make the right choices.

Also the transport controls are too narrow and small to conveniently handle the app on an iPad mini.

Please redesign that screen a bit, to make it more comfortable to use.

Thanks
Fred

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #759 on: December 16, 2012, 06:10:43 pm »

downloaded jremote on my parents ipad yesterday but every time i tried to add my servers using the access key the program crashed.
the only way i could get it to work was by manualy adding an ip adress. unfortunatly since my ipadress is dynamic the access key would be a beter solution.

it was an ipad 2 and the os was up to date.

locust

« Reply #760 on: December 17, 2012, 04:04:05 pm »

downloaded jremote on my parents ipad yesterday but every time i tried to add my servers using the access key the program crashed.
the only way i could get it to work was by manualy adding an ip adress. unfortunatly since my ipadress is dynamic the access key would be a beter solution.

it was an ipad 2 and the os was up to date.

Try resetting the access key....

Lespaul, it would be nice if we could have an option to keep the search button visible at all times..

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #761 on: December 17, 2012, 04:16:28 pm »

thanks for your suggsetion.
acceskey seems to work fine on all other devices.
but i'l try next tme i'm at their house

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #762 on: December 18, 2012, 07:37:39 am »

Hi guys, I just want to inform you of the progress on the latest version.
Here are the features currently implemented:

- Editable playlist (Requires MC18 or when playing to device).
Remove and reorder tracks in current playlist

- Shuffle and repeat controls (Requires MC18 or when playing to device)
Change to any of MC`s shuffle and repeat modes

- Playdoctor generation (Requires MC18)
Create a playdoctor playlist from any selection or from the current playlist.

- Local popup notifications
App will display feedback on actions performed (... added to playlist etc). Can be turned off in settings.

- Redesigned context popups for both iPad and iPhone version.
On iPad, the context menu will appear at the touch location.
The iPhone version now use slide-in menues instead of pop-ups.

- Automatically updates IP address when using access key for connection.
When not able to connect, JRemote will fetch the latest IP address from JRiver server.

The "Now playing" screen on the iPad version has also received some more attention based on your feedback.

fixed bugs:
- Unable to get out of default playmode popup on iPhone.
- JRemote will not proceed to next song while in background mode (If a file takes a while to download this can happen.)
- Invalid date tags will crash JRemote.
- ++

This version may not be available until after christmas. Both because Apple wont approve apps during the holidays and because I want to release a solid version with as few bugs as possible.

I may also add the following feature if I have the time:
- Editable metatags
- Add old search option (file search)

Some initial response to your feedback:

I have been trying to recreate the crashes caused by trying to add a new server, and have been unable to do that so far, but I will keep testing.

I also don`t like the report of random crashes. They are hard to track down and are usually only found by a lot of testing.

Some of you mention the problem with JRemote pausing between songs. This should be fixed in this release.
The problem was that sometimes the app uses more time than allowed to start the next track when in background mode.
You have to specifically ask the OS for more time when that happens.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #763 on: December 18, 2012, 08:40:29 am »

Great feedback, thanks lespaul.  Appreciate the new features, but am obviously more excited to hear about the bug fixes to improve stability and connectivity.

(With these new features requiring MC18, I hope J River are letting you participate in a rev share - I may now have to upgrade!)  :)

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #764 on: December 18, 2012, 08:52:24 am »

Yes! I'm extremely excited about new playlist features.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #765 on: December 18, 2012, 08:54:59 am »

I hadn't updated JRemote on my iPhone 5 in a while, but I did recently.  This morning I was trying to use it, and I had some trouble (basically unusable)...

I'm able to navigate through my views, and pick a song to play.  Then, after a long delay (10-15 sec with no UI update at all to indicate it is "working"), the song will start playing.  But it only gets 5 or 6 seconds in, and then it stops.  In the interim, by the way, I can't really do anything in JRemote (the buttons all stop responding completely).  Once the song stops, I can bring up the Playing Now interface by hitting the button in the corner (didn't it do this automatically before?), but hitting play or any of the track change buttons causes JRemote to crash after a short period (I also hit the "stuck in select play mode" problem a lot as I flailed around hitting buttons).

This is happening over both WiFi and 3G.  I'm on the latest build of MC18 at home.  I'll try restarting the server later to see if it makes any difference at all, but I figured I'd report this before you submit your new version.

But right now, I can't play anything at all with it (for more than a few seconds).

If you PM me, I'm happy to send you my server details and you're welcome to test.  The server is always on (except the occasional reboot and MC upgrades), and has a Dyn hostname, so it is easy to use.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #766 on: December 18, 2012, 09:42:56 am »

Hi Glynor.

I have had no reports similar to what you are talking about.
Could you try to delete and reinstall the app?

Also, your current playlist, how large is it?

locust

« Reply #767 on: December 18, 2012, 10:03:24 am »

I hadn't updated JRemote on my iPhone 5 in a while, but I did recently.  This morning I was trying to use it, and I had some trouble (basically unusable)...

I'm able to navigate through my views, and pick a song to play.  Then, after a long delay (10-15 sec with no UI update at all to indicate it is "working"), the song will start playing.  But it only gets 5 or 6 seconds in, and then it stops.  In the interim, by the way, I can't really do anything in JRemote (the buttons all stop responding completely).  Once the song stops, I can bring up the Playing Now interface by hitting the button in the corner (didn't it do this automatically before?), but hitting play or any of the track change buttons causes JRemote to crash after a short period (I also hit the "stuck in select play mode" problem a lot as I flailed around hitting buttons).

This is happening over both WiFi and 3G.  I'm on the latest build of MC18 at home.  I'll try restarting the server later to see if it makes any difference at all, but I figured I'd report this before you submit your new version.

But right now, I can't play anything at all with it (for more than a few seconds).

If you PM me, I'm happy to send you my server details and you're welcome to test.  The server is always on (except the occasional reboot and MC upgrades), and has a Dyn hostname, so it is easy to use.

Hi Glynor, don't know if this is the same thing but I had an issue where playing a song would just stutter the first few seconds.. It turned out to be my Zone Switch rules that were causing it..

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #768 on: December 18, 2012, 01:19:23 pm »

Hi Glynor, don't know if this is the same thing but I had an issue where playing a song would just stutter the first few seconds.. It turned out to be my Zone Switch rules that were causing it..

Thanks for commenting.  Unfortunately, I don't think this is the same.  I'm not using any Zone Switch rules on that machine at all (it has a fairly vanilla zone setup), and the few seconds of music that does play, plays perfectly.

It just then stops.

Also, I should add, once it stops, without forcing the app to quit (jiggly mode), I can't get it to play anything else.  Like I said above, it often crashes.  But, if it doesn't, I can navigate around the JRemote UI, but if I try to play anything else, it just ignores me.  And, if I go to Playing Now for the track once it "stops", it shows it as 1-7 seconds in, with the play "counter" stopped.  None of the buttons do anything, and I can't drag on the play scrubber bar (it does the full screen position popup thing, but then won't let me change the time).  It is basically just "stuck".

PS.  I did try rebooting the server entirely, and no change.  It always worked before.  My Library is added via the server's hostname directly, not via a "key".

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #769 on: December 18, 2012, 11:36:35 pm »

ummm Glynor was a lot more eloquent than I, but this is the same issue I've had since Dec 7th post (I only reported the crashing out part)...am trying to isolate as it does not happen all the time...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #770 on: December 18, 2012, 11:51:27 pm »

Hi Glynor.

I have had no reports similar to what you are talking about.
Could you try to delete and reinstall the app?

Also, your current playlist, how large is it?

I'll do that tomorrow (reinstall).

I'm not absolutely sure what you mean by the "current playlist", but I was trying all sorts of things.  Mostly a song from a single album (so Playing Now would have held 12 or so tracks total).  Nothing out of the ordinary, and no weirdo pre-mixed Smartlists or anything.  But I also tried a variety of tracks from a variety of different places in my views and Playlists (including just single tracks).

I did also discover that JRemote still plays music correctly when I'm at home on my WLAN, so it is something specific to going outside my LAN.  But it uses the same hostname to connect whether inside or outside my network (my firewall handles those rules correctly, so I don't need to use one address internally and a different externally).  Plus, I never had trouble with timeouts connecting or anything (I could always get connected to the server easy-peasy), so it wasn't my firewall getting in the way.  I even tried connecting via VPN, and it acted the same.  When I'm on my VPN, I'm on the same subnet at the server, and can ping it directly (even using its internal hostname or LAN address directly), but the issue was identical.

So I'm not sure...

Totally guessing here, but I'm thinking it is something to do with some kind of server address resolution magic you're trying to do to help people who have crappy (typical) home networks, and need to use the Keys to connect and have to use different internal/external addresses.  Like I said, the connection always works perfectly.  The issue doesn't manifest until a few seconds into the track.

FWIW, if you are trying to do some "address resolution magic" to help people get connected, that's understandable.  But, if someone puts in a fully-qualified domain name, you should just use it.  Turn all of that crap off.  If someone puts in an address like myserver.mynetwork.com (as opposed to 192.169.1.2), then you're almost certainly talking about two very different setups.

I should add, though, it is like clockwork.  Almost like it is hitting a "timer" and then it just "stops".  Same place, every time.  I haven't actually timed it yet, but the "piece" of the song you get is quite brief.  Almost like it is the first "block" that you download, after which you do some "checking" and decide to use different settings.  And I'm seeing no variability (other than maybe the length of the section of the song that plays).  Every song, every try, plays for 4-10 seconds and then stops, and then nothing else will play until I force JRemote to quit and try again.... Until I got back home and it connected to my WLAN.  Then, everything's fine.

(Though I am also still seeing the lack of "feedback" when you hit play, which has always actually been an issue in JRemote, but it seems worse now.  In any case: When you hit a button on the app, it should seem to "do something", always, even if what it does is tell you "I'm thinking, give me a second".  It isn't working that way, and when it really doesn't actually work, it makes it seem worse and more frustrating than it would otherwise.)

realmassy

• Recent member
« Reply #771 on: December 19, 2012, 12:45:38 pm »

I may also add the following feature if I have the time:
- Editable metatags

Looking forward to it :-)

bobsdevices

« Reply #772 on: December 19, 2012, 01:09:32 pm »

I am having similar issues to the previosly reported one about JRemote crashing when playing a video file.  The file plays perfectly using JRiver, but if I attempe to play it with JRemote, it crashes and closes completely, but I am watching the video.  I am unable to reopen JRemote when the video is playing, but after I close the video on JRiver, I can start JRemote and work like nothing has happened.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #773 on: December 19, 2012, 05:16:32 pm »

I'll do that tomorrow (reinstall).

Some additional details from today.

First off, I tested with my iPad, and I got the exact same results.  So, I'm fairly certain it isn't just a corrupted installation.  I'm going to give it a shot deleting/reinstalling on my phone anyway, just to be sure, but... They were both installed independently from the App Store directly on the devices, not using iTunes (where one corrupt download could have impacted both), so... I'm skeptical that will help at all.

However... Testing on my iPad provided a pretty essential clue, because of the different UI.

The issue happens when the cover art loads.  If I play songs that have no cover art, it is fine.  I can play multiple songs and everything works perfectly.  However, as soon as I play a song that contains cover art, it plays fine until the cover art appears in JRemote (on the iPad you can see it on the bottom controller), and then the whole app is stuck.  Like I said, I can still navigate around (though it gets pretty "crashy"), but nothing else will play at all until I force it to close and restart.

The music always stops just as the cover art appears down in the bottom controller.  I hadn't seen this because on my iPhone, you don't see the cover art until you move to Playing Now.  The problem is that for this few seconds (apparently while it is downloading the cover art) the app is frozen completely.  It doesn't "unfreeze" until the music stops (upon which, you can move to the Playing Now screen, but the cover art was already there then, so I never connected the two things until I tried it on my iPad).

But I was suspicious this morning, because I tried it on the way in this morning, and it seemed to be working fine.  Just happened that the album I picked had no cover art, but I didn't connect the two!  Now, in testing further, it doesn't seem "universal".  It is probably "big" cover art, or something.  But I have enough of them that despite trying all sorts of tracks, I never stumbled across one that "worked" yesterday.  But, today, knowing to look at cover art, I've now been able to find some tracks in my library that will play fine, despite having cover art (they probably have much lower-resolution art).

And, again, this seems to only happen when connected remotely to my server.  The tracks I tested last night at home over WiFi, where the exact same tracks that continue to be troublesome today.

But, hopefully this helps.  It is something in the way you are downloading and processing cover art.  Again, PM me and I'm happy to send you my server details and you can try it yourself whenever you want.

Also, the cover art download process seems to be what is causing the UI non-responsiveness I described above.  When I play a song that has cover art, but still "works" right, the UI still freezes completely as playback starts.  You can hear the music, but the counter doesn't count, and no buttons do anything at all.  Then it "unsticks" just as the cover art pops up in the little corner display (at the same point where it would normally stop playing with most of my tracks).

And, lastly, the fact that it can't "continue" once it has gotten into this state, seems to be related to that cover art as well.  So, for example, on my iPad, I went in and played a song that I know triggers it.  It played for 9 seconds, then got stuck just as the cover art popped up in the controller.  So, I then navigated and chose a song that has no cover art at all. The little controller shows the right track info, but won't start playing, and the old cover art stays showing.

pcstockton

« Reply #774 on: December 19, 2012, 05:35:03 pm »

Thanks for sussing this out for us Glynor!

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

mortenr

« Reply #775 on: December 21, 2012, 12:32:39 pm »

Hi

Just downloaded the trial version of jriver 18.0.100, works like A charm :-)
Only some minor problems with missing covers.

I just bought the jremote , my iphone 4S (IOS 6.0.1) works flawless with audio but will not handle the video.
Will not show that I have any films in my library.

With ipad 2 and 3 (IOS 6.0.1), it randomly crash when connecting to jriver (both via code and IP), If i play a movie via the jremote it completely crash.
I then have to uninstall the app, and start all over.
Audio works fine when its not crashing, but the video part crash instantly.
The funny thing is the movies I have started from my ipads, I can now se on my iphone in the video library but only the ones I have tried to play...strange.
And from the Iphone I have no problems playing the movie's, when it has been started on the Ipad.

Hope I make some sense :-)

Best regards
Morten

locust

« Reply #776 on: December 24, 2012, 10:06:04 am »

Hey Lespaul

on the dark skin, upon pressing the alphabetical scroll bar thingy, you can't see any of the letters..

mirskid

• Recent member
Re: bug?
« Reply #777 on: December 24, 2012, 11:37:46 pm »

Hi. I'm loving the app. Just wondering about a likely bug. When I press on the add track button on the top left it brings down the pulldown menu of add track options. But then I'm stuck in it and can't back out without having to shut down the app and restart it.

Thanks!

I am having the same problem cannot change the way to add song to the list with out restarting my iphone. Happened with MC17 and MC18
Hope is fixed in the update

)p(

« Reply #778 on: December 27, 2012, 01:20:02 am »

I have a mc library server with a mc client pc connected to it. When I control the client pc through the library pc with jremote connected to the server pc jremote works ok to select and play media. But I can not use jremote's remote function. When I control the client pc with jremote connectrd to the client pc I of course now can use the remote function but I can not play things anymore. Also this setup seems to mess with the view schemes. I for example see now video views under audio.

So my question is should I be able to connect directly to the client when its connected to a library server. Or is this not yet supported by jremote?
And if that is not possible then could the remote function be mapped to the pc of the currently selected zone when jremote is connected to a library server pc?

schford

• Recent member
« Reply #779 on: December 27, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »

Another polite request for better meta data handling for movies - eh hold down over movie and in the pop up be able to select meta data...

Everything else perfect for me...

Crom

• Recent member
« Reply #780 on: December 28, 2012, 05:23:41 am »

Just started using jremote on my ipad after using it on my iPhone for a few weeks. First off, thank you for not ripping people off by charging twice for ipad/iPhone apps. This was a major purchase decision for me as the practice stinks.

I've noticed a problem in that the volume control on the artist/track browse page jumps around when you try to change volume and often just doesn't work. However the volume on the playing now screen works perfectly.

Being able to control jriver remotely in this clean, easy to use way massively influenced me into buying jriver. It looks like jremote author is doing all he can to leverage the functionality that the jriver developers expose to him via the Api. However, it would clearly be beneficial to both parties to allow more remote functionality, eg allow the remote to function when the base jriver has been customised (for example, I usually have a custom view which shows HD tracks only which doesn't appear to be possible now). Hopefully this is being explored behind the scenes.

Anyway, great product and thank you,
Pel

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #781 on: December 28, 2012, 11:56:19 pm »

However, it would clearly be beneficial to both parties to allow more remote functionality, eg allow the remote to function when the base jriver has been customised

You can do this.

Network Views are configured separately from those in Standard View.  You can configure views available over the network (including JRemote) under Options > Media Network > Advanced.

The system for doing so is essentially identical to configuring Theater View.

vagskal

« Reply #782 on: December 29, 2012, 02:09:12 am »

1. Any chance of having the zone selector available in the search result screen when the search is invoked from the now playing view? I have imported my music cover art (front, back, booklet etc) into MC and tagged them with the music album name so when I do a meta data search on the now playing album I get the cover art as well in the search result. I would like to be able to continue to play the music to my regular DLNA zone and in the search result screen temporarily switch to This device zone to watch the cover art, details on a booklet page for example.

2. With long names for category grouping the icons in file list views for switching play/add mode and display mode (list, list with thumbs and just thumbs) disappears, the display mode icons disappear first and if the category grouping name is really long the play/add mode icon also disappears.

3. if a level is skipped (going directly from album artist to the one album by that artist), the thumbnail shown in the file list view heading (top left) is still the thumb for the previous level (the album artist portrait thumb instead of the album cover art thumb).

4. I think you, LesPaul, said somewhere in this gigantic thread that you would add year info to the display in the now playing view (and possible also to the playlist display). I am looking forward to this.

5. Would it be possible to add a playlist drag up button in the now playing portrait view? This would be handy when the iPad sits in its stand and cannot be easily rotated.

6. The meta data search is not working for me when the search term starts with " (searching for "Weird" Al Yankovic in the artist field produces no hits; the normal search finds that artist but when selecting the artist there are no files).

7. Trying to play an image (jpg) from the search result to This device crashes the app for me.

8. Would it be possible to have one entry in the meta data display for each item in list type fields (with ; as separator)? That way also list type fields would be available for meta data search. (Now when trying to search a list type field with item1; item2 nothing is found.)

This is with the iPad version.

Thanks for a great app that is just getting better with each version.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #783 on: January 02, 2013, 11:04:58 am »

Computeraudiophile.com gave JRemote their Product of the Year award for software.  Congratulations, LesPaul!

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/499-2012-computer-audiophile-product-year/

pcstockton

« Reply #784 on: January 02, 2013, 01:53:32 pm »

That is awesome!!!!  Well done Lespaul!
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

realmassy

• Recent member
« Reply #785 on: January 02, 2013, 02:38:18 pm »

Computeraudiophile.com gave JRemote their Product of the Year award for software.  Congratulations, LesPaul!

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/499-2012-computer-audiophile-product-year/
Well deserved!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: bug?
« Reply #786 on: January 04, 2013, 03:31:10 pm »

I am having the same problem cannot change the way to add song to the list with out restarting my iphone. Happened with MC17 and MC18
Hope is fixed in the update

I can confirm that this is fixed in the coming version (Lespaul gave me a beta version to test my playback issue, and said it was fine if I reported back in the thread to help others).  He also revamped how this menu (and the similar tap-and-hold-to-get-play-options menu) looks/works and it is WAY better (IMHO).  Much easier to use and slicker looking.

Also, my playback problem is largely solved.  Responsiveness is perfect again (the long freeze before the UI updates after starting streaming playback is fixed), and the vast majority of my files play fine now when streamed.  I use the regular settings for conversion in MC, though, so YMMV if you do crazy lossless streaming stuff or any of that.

The only exception with the current beta is with M4A files downloaded from the iTunes Store (regular AAC M4As).  I can't get those to stream right.  As it is now, it acts much like my previous problem.  The files start to play for a few seconds, then crap out.  This time, it shows an error dialog, and acts weird (it shows the error popup repeatedly), but then like before you have to kill/relaunch JRemote to play anything else once you get the error.  But, as I said, that is only with M4A files from the iTunes Store.  With MP3, FLAC, and APE sources (which are all streamed as ~128k MP3 with my settings), everything is silky smooth and wonderful again.

PS.  Side note:  It turns out it was NOT the cover art, but was actually something about how the Apple API handled the decompressed audio coming in, and it just corresponded with when JRemote got the full file downloaded (which is when it shows the cover art).  I think it was related to the quality of the source audio, or something like that.  In any case, it is fixed, except for with M4A sources.

pcstockton

« Reply #787 on: January 04, 2013, 07:32:26 pm »

Well that is just fantastic!!  Seeing I dont have a single track from iTunes I am in the clear!

Good job LesPaul!  And thanks for chiming in Glynor.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Patrick

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #788 on: January 05, 2013, 11:55:01 am »

great news indeed.
Thanks to lespaul for continuing to develop an amazing product and yes Glynor, your dedication to weeding out bugs and fixes is, as always, exemplary.

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #789 on: January 08, 2013, 12:44:12 pm »

I don't see any mention of this issue so I am adding it here - sorry if it is a duplicate.

When browsing to select a song or album to play, there is an icon on the top of the screen.  (See attachment).  When selected it brings up a menu of options, “Play Now, Play next. Add to Playlist,” etc.  No matter what I press here, I cannot get out of this screen, and the function does not do anything. In other words, I select Play Now. Nothing actually plays and I am still in this screen.  The check mark next to what I selected is there, but it is as if the function is not enabled or something.

Not a huge deal for me as I normally do not press this option, but have occasionally wondered what it was for or hit it by accident with my fat fingers….:)
Closing the app with the home button will not fix this as the next time I am open JRemote, it brings me to the screen.  I must double click home button, hold JRemote icon and press the minus to abort the program. 

I thought it was worth mentioning in case others had this issue.
Thanks,
Pete

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #790 on: January 08, 2013, 03:43:58 pm »

I don't see any mention of this issue so I am adding it here - sorry if it is a duplicate.

When browsing to select a song or album to play, there is an icon on the top of the screen.  (See attachment).  When selected it brings up a menu of options, “Play Now, Play next. Add to Playlist,” etc.  No matter what I press here, I cannot get out of this screen, and the function does not do anything. In other words, I select Play Now. Nothing actually plays and I am still in this screen.  The check mark next to what I selected is there, but it is as if the function is not enabled or something.

Not a huge deal for me as I normally do not press this option, but have occasionally wondered what it was for or hit it by accident with my fat fingers….:)
Closing the app with the home button will not fix this as the next time I am open JRemote, it brings me to the screen.  I must double click home button, hold JRemote icon and press the minus to abort the program.  

I thought it was worth mentioning in case others had this issue.
Thanks,
Pete

That's the default action when you press a song.  If the check box is on Play Now, when you click on a song it will play now.  When the check box is on append to playlist, when you click on a song it will append to the currently playing playlist.

It has no function other then defining the default action when clicking on a song.

That said once you select something in that menu and the check box gets applied the window should close automatically.  Or at least it does on my iPad.  Maybe it's an iPhone version bug.

What you are trying to achieve with it should be done via a long press on a song or album.  A popup menu should come up giving options that take immediate action.

dean70

« Reply #791 on: January 08, 2013, 04:43:09 pm »

That's the default action when you press a song.  If the check box is on Play Now, when you click on a song it will play now.  When the check box is on append to playlist, when you click on a song it will append to the currently playing playlist.

It has no function other then defining the default action when clicking on a song.

That said once you select something in that menu and the check box gets applied the window should close automatically.  Or at least it does on my iPad.  Maybe it's an iPhone version bug.

What you are trying to achieve with it should be done via a long press on a song or album.  A popup menu should come up giving options that take immediate action.

+1  I have the same issue on my iPhone. You get stuck on this screen and have to close the app and restart to get out.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #792 on: January 08, 2013, 04:48:47 pm »

+1  I have the same issue on my iPhone. You get stuck on this screen and have to close the app and restart to get out.

As I mentioned just a couple posts above, this is fixed in the upcoming build.

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #793 on: January 08, 2013, 05:17:27 pm »

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the actual option to select a song versus this option of adjusting the default setting.
Can't wait for the new version!
Thanks again,
Pete

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #794 on: January 09, 2013, 01:51:37 pm »

Just wanted to inform you that the next version was submitted for review two days ago.

The last week was mostly spent tracking down memory leaks after discovering that the app would get progressively slower after extended use. I think it was worth it, it may even be a bit faster overall now.

I want to thank glynor for his help testing this release. He also gave me access to his server, and that really helped a lot for tracking down a couple of those streaming bugs.

A couple of things added in the last few days specific to iPhone version while I remember it:
- You can now access metadata for any track from the context menu.
- Track number and duration shown in track lists

I also changed the behavior when downloading thumbnails. The download will now be cancelled if the thumb`s row goes out of view before it has a chance to download/display.  This should really help those with slower connections.

Now, before adding any new features to the app I want to fix any remaining bugs. So keep looking when you get the new version.

Will answer your questions soon.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #795 on: January 09, 2013, 01:53:56 pm »

I think its time for me to invest $10.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

faster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #796 on: January 10, 2013, 11:49:30 am »

Hello, there was no answer to my question, so i will try it again....

Hello, JRiver together with JRemote is awesome!

only some features in JRemote are missing.
1. an option to set up a individual timeout while connecting to Media Center. (My PC wakes up (wake on lan) in about 20 seconds, in the meantime JRemote get s a timeout.)

regards faster

FLAC2DAC

• Recent member
« Reply #797 on: January 10, 2013, 08:18:49 pm »

JRiver/Remote noob. I have JRiver configured on a new Win8 streamer, and JRemote installed on new iPad Mini. I see all my files, but when I try to play...nada.  :'(

I can get JRemote to play my files on the iPad Mini; just not JRiver, on my streamer.  ?

Help?

CD

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #798 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:29 pm »

Just wanted to inform you that the next version was submitted for review two days ago.

The last week was mostly spent tracking down memory leaks after discovering that the app would get progressively slower after extended use. I think it was worth it, it may even be a bit faster overall now.

I want to thank glynor for his help testing this release. He also gave me access to his server, and that really helped a lot for tracking down a couple of those streaming bugs.

A couple of things added in the last few days specific to iPhone version while I remember it:
- You can now access metadata for any track from the context menu.
- Track number and duration shown in track lists

I also changed the behavior when downloading thumbnails. The download will now be cancelled if the thumb`s row goes out of view before it has a chance to download/display.  This should really help those with slower connections.

Now, before adding any new features to the app I want to fix any remaining bugs. So keep looking when you get the new version.

Will answer your questions soon.

Perfect!  I love your approach Lespaul - fix whats there now and get it robust before adding the (extra) bells and whistles!
(I started to noticed the memory leak on my ipad1 just recently, so that fix is very welcome as well).

FLAC2DAC

• Recent member
« Reply #799 on: January 11, 2013, 03:46:39 pm »

JRiver/Remote noob. I have JRiver configured on a new Win8 streamer, and JRemote installed on new iPad Mini. I see all my files, but when I try to play...nada.  :'(

I can get JRemote to play my files on the iPad Mini; just not JRiver, on my streamer.  ?

Help?

CD

No love here? I know it's pretty vague; if there's more info I can provide...or a wiki or primer I should consult first. I'm happy to RTFM.

Thanks,
CD
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Up