INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center  (Read 281409 times)

ksa

• Recent member
Re: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #850 on: January 21, 2013, 11:06:15 am »

Installed JRemote to iPad.  It sees the server (MC18) and the device I want to send to (Oppo BDP-105).  I can play to "this device", meaning the iPad.  However, when I select the 105 to play to, the "play" button no longer functions.  When "play" is pressed, it just goes to the next song on the playlist without playing anything.  Am I missing something or is this just a bug?

Not trying to cause trouble, but the Linn Kinsky app will control MC18 going to the 105 (but is much inferior to JRemote, if it worked).  My conclusion is that the 105 is set up appropriately to play from MC18.

_noel_

• Recent member
« Reply #851 on: January 21, 2013, 11:12:08 am »

Installed JRemote to iPad.  It sees the server (MC18) and the device I want to send to (Oppo BDP-105).  I can play to "this device", meaning the iPad.  However, when I select the 105 to play to, the "play" button no longer functions.  When "play" is pressed, it just goes to the next song on the playlist without playing anything.  Am I missing something or is this just a bug?

Not trying to cause trouble, but the Linn Kinsky app will control MC18 going to the 105 (but is much inferior to JRemote, if it worked).  My conclusion is that the 105 is set up appropriately to play from MC18.

With the last version of JRemote (iPad) I sometimes have the same effect: the play buton of JRemote does not work (Playing to a Linn DS), skip to next track e.g. works. In this case I use the Linn remote control to give an initial play command, the song plays and then it works fine with JRiver. This issue is only in the newest JRemote version, the version before the play button worked fine.

Regards
Eberhard

ksa

• Recent member
« Reply #852 on: January 21, 2013, 11:19:45 am »

Thanks very much.  Hopefully, this will get fixed in the next iteration.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #853 on: January 23, 2013, 09:27:40 am »

I've been playing around with searching in JRemote.

I think a little love needs to be focused on searching.

Example:

Search for "Unchained"
It brings various tracks, no details on the track.  So at this point it's a crap shoot.
So I take a guess and long press and add the track to the playlist.  To my dismay 7 tracks get added, one for each Van Halen album that has the track Unchained.

Now I assume part of the problem is the flexibility of the J River web api?

ounal

• Recent member
« Reply #854 on: January 23, 2013, 11:53:12 am »

LesPaul,

Thank you for the update. Just a few points:

-In the album view the bit rate is stated in lieu of the sampling rate (e.g. 2250 kHz)

- I would prefer the old font type. I wish the font style could be customisable.

- The pdf support is superb but it would be really nice if we could also open them in iBooks.

- In the search view I miss the old colored pdf icon. It was easier to catch the pdf files.

Thanks for your nice software.

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #855 on: January 24, 2013, 10:09:27 pm »

Lespaul, what do you think about an offline cache feature? Similar to what grooveshark app offers, Would be very helpful for those who dont have unlimited 3G data plan, like me
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

ksa

• Recent member
« Reply #856 on: January 25, 2013, 10:48:44 am »

"Running" the latest version on iOS (iPad2).  Now when choosing songs for a playlist or just "play now", the pop-up indicates that the song is added to the playlist or is playing now.  In fact, nothing is added to the playlist and nothing plays.  The playlist is blank............nothing happens.  Reboot, etc.  Nothing happens.  The program is now dead, useless.  Any suggestions?

Paying for bad beta software is a person.  Kinsky works, but does not have the features.  JRemote has the features but does not work. 

_noel_

• Recent member
« Reply #857 on: January 25, 2013, 11:07:26 am »

"Running" the latest version on iOS (iPad2).  Now when choosing songs for a playlist or just "play now", the pop-up indicates that the song is added to the playlist or is playing now.  In fact, nothing is added to the playlist and nothing plays.  The playlist is blank............nothing happens.  Reboot, etc.  Nothing happens.  The program is now dead, useless.  Any suggestions?

Paying for bad beta software is a person.  Kinsky works, but does not have the features.  JRemote has the features but does not work. 

The latest version works best on my ipad/JR18/CatWalk/both on LinnDSAkurate & direct PC output ... Very strange your problem.
Did you restart JR or rebooted the JR PC ?

regards
Ebe

ksa

• Recent member
« Reply #858 on: January 25, 2013, 11:12:38 am »

Did both.  The iPad program sees the server just fine.  I can choose whatever I want, but nothing is sent to the playlist and nothing plays.

The issue prior to this one was that the playlist was populated just fine, but the play button did not work.  Lots and lots of bugs/problems with this program.  Thanks.

rlj

• Recent member
Re: JRemote and playlists
« Reply #859 on: January 26, 2013, 12:22:09 am »

Maybe I'm a little dense, but how does one edit and/or save playlists in JRemote?

I have figured out how to add tracks to a current playlist, but don't know how to save it or select it again. (I only see seemingly random pre-constructed playlist to select: most recently played, etc.) I want fixed, non-changing playlists that I can edit a song here or there (no smart list stuff).

I'm running v18 of MC headless, so JRemote is preferred.

Thanks.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: JRemote and playlists
« Reply #860 on: January 26, 2013, 08:24:05 am »

Maybe I'm a little dense, but how does one edit and/or save playlists in JRemote?

I have figured out how to add tracks to a current playlist, but don't know how to save it or select it again. (I only see seemingly random pre-constructed playlist to select: most recently played, etc.) I want fixed, non-changing playlists that I can edit a song here or there (no smart list stuff).

I'm running v18 of MC headless, so JRemote is preferred.

Thanks.

You can't.  I don't think MC had the appropriate APIs implemented.

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #861 on: January 27, 2013, 01:19:47 pm »

ksa what zone are you playing to and how is it setup? maybe that info will help people figuring out what is wrong

and does it work with another zone like your local computer. the only times jremote didnt work for me was when i had the wrong zone selected.

for most persons jriver is working fine. so your problem seems to be very specific. wheter or not it is jremote's fault has yet to be determined.

cbuxton5200

« Reply #862 on: January 27, 2013, 05:09:48 pm »

Hi all, I love using the JRemote app and how I can run the tvs from remotely.  I was wondering if you have any plans to include a moble guide?  It would be awesome if you could schedule recordings remotely (since MC18 now supports scheduling from clients)!  Just a thought...thanks for your work on this app.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #863 on: January 28, 2013, 02:37:16 am »

ksa, I will try to reproduce your problem, since I have an oppo player myself I can try.
Initially this sounds to me like a MC problem, since when you press the play button, MC skips and goes to the next track.

However, It can be something in JRemote, although I cant imagine what that could be right now. But I will investigate.

_noel_, track lists with thumbnails are split to three lines in the next version. Looks better IMO.

Cassangelo, I think the background color for the index bar can be changed in code. I will do so if possible.

sunfire7, I think offline playback would be a good feature to have. Although it is a bit of work, and I believe there are other features that should be implemented before that.

_noel_

• Recent member
« Reply #864 on: January 28, 2013, 04:17:58 am »

_noel_, track lists with thumbnails are split to three lines in the next version. Looks better IMO.

:) Great  :)

Will JRemote some day be able to save a playlist on the iPad or in MC and use it later ?
Or is this technically not possible? (I'm wondering, because with Kinsky you can do that ...)

Regards
Eberhard

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #865 on: January 28, 2013, 08:35:11 am »

Another question re: configuring display preferences in JRemote.

As previously mentioned, I have encoded my files in ALAC/AIFF, and have used the field Album Artist Sort Order such that Bob Dylan is alphabetized as Dylan, Bob and U2 is alphabetized as Utwo. I have set my default display preference in JRemote as Artists & Album, with the categories set as Album Artists Sort Order, followed by Year - Album.

My question: Is there a way to make JRemote display Bob Dylan as "Bob Dylan" (rather than Dylan, Bob), while still alphabetizing the artists using Album Artists Sort Order field?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

sunfire7

« Reply #866 on: January 28, 2013, 11:00:58 pm »

sunfire7, I think offline playback would be a good feature to have. Although it is a bit of work, and I believe there are other features that should be implemented before that.
I'm glad you also think it would be a good feature, I can wait. I also dont mind paying again for a v2
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #867 on: January 29, 2013, 02:57:05 am »

Tested some DLNA functionality yesterday.

Apparently, my Oppo player can not function as a DLNA renderer, so I could not test on that device.
However, I used my panasonic TV to test DLNA streaming, and everything worked.

Tracks added to the playlist was played in the correct order on the TV. No problems with first track repeating etc.

So the problem some of you are reporting can`t be a general problem, but more specific to some devices.

I will test further with a Squeezebox Touch later today.

-noel-:
I am sure JRiver will add the option to save and add playlists in a future version. But it`s not possible at the moment.

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #868 on: January 29, 2013, 05:01:50 pm »

Lespaul do you know if there are plans to allow jriver to transcode non pm4 video files so they  can be displayed through jremote?
it seems like so many element are already in place in jriver that is should be able to do such a thing in the future
it would be even better if it could analyze the streams from a video file (e. g. mkv) to see if they are native supported by the apple device.
for example the airvideo app already does this. so that some mkv files dont need to be transcoded at all.

shAf

« Reply #869 on: January 29, 2013, 09:10:59 pm »

I'm having a problem with Jr running on a iP4 (iOS6) connected to MC18 running Win7. If i pick the 1st song in an album, so as to play all tracks, Jr will play one track and then only begin to play the 2nd, stop after a second, and then play all of the 3rd. It will continue to do this, playing every odd track (... Except if I were to force to to begin with the 2nd and then it will play every even track). Let me know if I can add any additional info ...

TIA :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

)p(

« Reply #870 on: January 30, 2013, 02:12:19 am »

Lespaul do you know if there are plans to allow jriver to transcode non pm4 video files so they  can be displayed through jremote?
it seems like so many element are already in place in jriver that is should be able to do such a thing in the future
it would be even better if it could analyze the streams from a video file (e. g. mkv) to see if they are native supported by the apple device.
for example the airvideo app already does this. so that some mkv files dont need to be transcoded at all.

Transcoding works already for dlna. Maybe lespaul can tap into that.
Yes the way airvideo and plex can now play h264 embedded video with only reencoding the audio would be a great addition to mc. Best quality video and barely any load on the server.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #871 on: January 30, 2013, 02:28:38 am »

shAf, is this happening while streaming to device? I may have an idea about what may is happening.

Regarding transcoding. It seems like everything should be in place for this to work, but its not at the moment.
I had a conversation with Matt before Christmas trying to find a configuration that works. I guess I should spend some more time on this.

ounal

• Recent member
« Reply #872 on: January 30, 2013, 03:58:49 pm »

Lespaul

I wish you could just one time respond to MY questions/comments as well...

pcstockton

« Reply #873 on: January 30, 2013, 05:10:48 pm »

Lespaul

I wish you could just one time respond to MY questions/comments as well...

Chill........  There are so many comments, requests, suggestions and questions in here it would be a full time job to address every comment.

That said, your post above (i didn't bother looking for others) does NOT ask any questions at all.  Not a one.  You simply state a few things which I am sure LesPaul read and considered.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

ounal

• Recent member
« Reply #874 on: January 31, 2013, 12:26:07 am »

At last I have got a response..  :) Better than nothing.

By the way , I said questions/comments, not just questions. Also I had some before with no reply at all.

Beside, I think I have right to complain. Lespaul can give his own response..

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #875 on: January 31, 2013, 02:37:27 am »

ounal, as pcstockton mentioned, I dont really have time to reply to every post.
However, I do read every post, and make notes of bugs and suggestions.

I really do appreciate all the feedback in this thread, including yours.

Anyway, here are some comments to your last post.

-In the album view the bit rate is stated in lieu of the sampling rate (e.g. 2250 kHz)

Yes, it should be kbps, this is fixed.

- I would prefer the old font type. I wish the font style could be customisable.

Design is very subjective. If I make a design change I can be sure that opinion will be split down the middle.
I can`t really make everything customizable to please everyone, it would get overly complex with too many options.

- The pdf support is superb but it would be really nice if we could also open them in iBooks.

I`ll see if this is something I can add

- In the search view I miss the old colored pdf icon. It was easier to catch the pdf files.

I agree, It will be back in the next version

ounal

• Recent member
« Reply #876 on: January 31, 2013, 06:10:18 am »

Lespaul;

Thank you for the detailed replies.

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #877 on: February 01, 2013, 02:52:45 pm »

I'm still loving JRemote. Thanks for such a great tool. The other day I was using it and was struck with a possible feature. It's certainly nothing crucial but I thought I should throw it in the ring.

Currently, from the playing now screen I am able to click on the cover art and I get a full screen image of it. My inclination was to swipe on the fullscreen art to see other images that reside in the same folder. For example, in addition to maintaining nice and large folder.jpg's I often also have scans of the back covers, booklets, disks, etc.... Having them easily accessible from the full screen cover art view would be awesome!

If this feature request has already been brought up please accept my apologies and count me as a +1.

Thanks again!

ksa

• Recent member
« Reply #878 on: February 01, 2013, 04:23:48 pm »

The program is now working intermittently with the Oppo BDP-105.  The most common problem I am having now is that the program does not see the Oppo just minutes after everything working just fine.  I have tried powering off and then on the Oppo, but this has not worked.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #879 on: February 01, 2013, 04:55:09 pm »

ksa, JRemote does not currently update the zone list after the server has connected.
So if MC adds the Oppo player after JRemote has connected, it wont show.
A temorary fix for this is to reconnect to the server to refresh the zone list.

Is this the problem you are having, that the Oppo does not appear in the zone list?

SteveGoff

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #880 on: February 02, 2013, 02:53:01 pm »

The latest version of JRemote always crashes on my iPad right after it connects and sets up. The last thing I see it do before the crash is ramp up the volume control. I'm using an iPad 3 with retina display. I've deleted and reinstalled the app to no avail. I can't use it at all, which is really troubling since it is the way I listen to music.

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #881 on: February 02, 2013, 04:17:27 pm »

I wonder if anybody else has the same issue:

When I have a category "album" and click on an album to see the tracks of it, then the correct album name is shown in the top title bar. But in the second lind (where the tag and shuffle buttons are) it always says "Various, Multiple albums" (and below that the total number of tracks of this album and the total time is shown).

Is this correct? I do not understand what "Various, Multiple albums" should mean. When I few one album there are not "multiple albums". Also "various" is not clear to me. First I thought it may mean that there are various artists in this album. But no, it is also shown, if the whole album is from one artist.

csimon

« Reply #882 on: February 02, 2013, 04:23:53 pm »

I get this too, I've reported it before (somewhere in the last 18 pages!).  I don't think it's anything particularly to do with JRemote, I think I've seen the same sort of symptoms in client J River, probably the way the album has been imported/analysed by the program and tagged (things like Complete Album...).  But I can't see anything wrong with the tags that I've applied.

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #883 on: February 03, 2013, 04:50:38 am »

Mmmmh, don't know. I have a custom view scheme 'Artists' in MC, which I use in the main window and also for Gizmo (Add as Library Item from Standard View), so these two should be the same.

In the main application I get everything correct. When I drill down to an album it tells me the "'album name' by 'artist'" (except if multiple artists, then it says "Various Artists"). However, in JRemote I still get "Various, mupltiple artists", even if the whole album is from one artist.

I think, it is related to JRemote, as the information is there. In the album overview the correct information is shown. Also after clicking on an album, the correct album name is shown in the title bar. I just do not understand what "Various, multiple artists" in the second line should mean.

fmd

• Recent member
« Reply #884 on: February 03, 2013, 06:01:49 am »

+1  Love this App as a companion for MC18 and glad to be out of the iTunes ecosystem and listening to flac's through my Oppo BDP-105. Great job!

A couple of things:
*I would love if the playlist I built on the fly was editable (delete/reorder) and written back to MC18 for the next session
*The FF function does not work for me.  It moves but does not FF through the song

Thank you

ogs

• World Citizen
JRemote and MC crash
« Reply #885 on: February 03, 2013, 08:17:53 am »

I've used JRemote since September last year and like it a lot. Actually I can not see myself using MC without JRemote. I do have a problem, however. Using JRemote MC server will crash, usually within 10 minutes. I restart MC and can play for up to half an hour or so before the next crash. This has happened with v17 and through all the versions of 18 up to .128. When playing from JRiver on the PC this does not happen so I assume it has something to do with JRemote's communication with MC.
Is this a known problem? I've had JRiver log the crash. Will this log be useful in seeing what is causing the crash? I'll add the log zip to my next post if  it is.
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - Audiolense 4.13XO - MC 21 DLNA & DSP - upmpdcli/MPD - UpTone Regen - Devialet 250

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #886 on: February 03, 2013, 09:51:49 am »

A couple of things:
*I would love if the playlist I built on the fly was editable (delete/reorder) and written back to MC18 for the next session

Thank you

Until the feature is added to the J River Web API this can't be added to JRemote.  We all want it, hopefully Matt will add it it some day soon.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: JRemote and MC crash
« Reply #887 on: February 03, 2013, 10:47:11 am »

I've used JRemote since September last year and like it a lot. Actually I can not see myself using MC without JRemote. I do have a problem, however. Using JRemote MC server will crash, usually within 10 minutes. I restart MC and can play for up to half an hour or so before the next crash. This has happened with v17 and through all the versions of 18 up to .128. When playing from JRiver on the PC this does not happen so I assume it has something to do with JRemote's communication with MC.
Is this a known problem? I've had JRiver log the crash. Will this log be useful in seeing what is causing the crash? I'll add the log zip to my next post if  it is.

I'm not seeing this.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ogs

• World Citizen
[Solved] Re: JRemote and MC crash
« Reply #888 on: February 03, 2013, 03:53:58 pm »

I'm not seeing this.

I am still using XP. That may be part of the problem (even if is shouldn't) I'll attach the logs hoping that there is some traces of the reasons there.

EDIT: I have been running MC18 on an Intel DC3217IYE with Win7 64 for some days. No instability at all.   So my XP installation was the problem
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - Audiolense 4.13XO - MC 21 DLNA & DSP - upmpdcli/MPD - UpTone Regen - Devialet 250

ksa

• Recent member
« Reply #889 on: February 05, 2013, 09:17:24 am »

Well Lespaul, I have had better luck with the program listing the BDP-105 as a zone.  However, that still does not do me any good.  I can put songs in the playlist and the blue playing icon does appear, but nothing plays.  If I press the play button, the icon moves to the next song, but (again) nothing ever plays.

Kinsky does work with MC18 (with some other types of glitches, but at least it plays).

Will there be a fix for this?  Is there some setting I can change to get the thing playing? 

csimon

« Reply #890 on: February 05, 2013, 09:23:09 am »

Well Lespaul, I have had better luck with the program listing the BDP-105 as a zone.  However, that still does not do me any good.  I can put songs in the playlist and the blue playing icon does appear, but nothing plays.  If I press the play button, the icon moves to the next song, but (again) nothing ever plays.

Kinsky does work with MC18 (with some other types of glitches, but at least it plays).

Will there be a fix for this?  Is there some setting I can change to get the thing playing? 

Are you able to control the BDP-105 from MC itself, without using JRemote, or does it exhibit the same symptoms? Also try WebGizmo and see if that has the same symptoms. Remember that JRemote is not controlling anything itself, it is simply communicating with the MC server and sending commands to it.  If a renderer is not playing a song that MC is sending to it, then it's a problem with communication between MC and the device.

Kinsky, as I understand it, is a DLNA controller? In other words, it is Kinsky that is controlling the device, not the MC server.

dave_in_gva

• Recent member
« Reply #891 on: February 06, 2013, 03:47:19 am »

Hello all,

First time post here. I've read most, not all of this thread.

My interest in JRemote is to take advantage of the Oppo BDP-105's ability to function as a DLNA renderer.

I see some folks here seem to be going that route and I'd be keen to hear about their experiences, setup gotchas etc.

For info most of my use would be to pass video files (.mkv, .avi, etc.) to the Oppo, although I also will set up JRiver MC18 with all my .flac files as well, so I will be playing music on occasion.

In case it is relevant, the server with the .flac and video files is in an upstairs living room and is always on, connected to our stereo.

The Oppo is in a bat cave projection home theater located in the basement. The Oppo and the living room server are on a Powerline network (500 mbps).

Thanks for any and all comments/experiences. From my reading this should be a great setup.

Dave M

csimon

« Reply #892 on: February 06, 2013, 03:56:50 am »

See the post directly above yours!  JRemote is a remote control for J River MC and, barring bugs, it will behave exactly as MC does. So your best bet is to make sure MC can see and control your Oppo via DLNA. I think some people have reported issues, which may or may not be due to DLNA-implementation or communication issues in MC or the Oppo or both. But those issues are probably best raised in the Media Network board rather than the J Remote board.

Once you have got MC working with the Oppo, you can install JRemote on an iDevice and it will work in the same way. JRemote does not communicate with devices itself, it's simply a remote control for MC.  It would be like asking Harmony (the makers of remote controls) questions about whether one of your pieces of equipment will work with another.

dave_in_gva

• Recent member
« Reply #893 on: February 06, 2013, 04:40:00 am »

Thanks CSimon. I had read all of ksa's posts and some of LesPauls replies actually.

As you say it sounds like it works sometimes and not others. I'm still keen to hear about people's experiences using JRemote to connect to MC18 when they are using another device as a DLNA renderer.

But I do take your point and the Harmony analogy and will be looking for other posts/fora as well.

Best,

Dave M

csimon

« Reply #894 on: February 06, 2013, 04:50:45 am »

I use a WDTV Live as a DLNA renderer. JRemote works flawlessly with it, as expected, however in the last couple of weeks it has stopped working. You press the Play button and nothing happens.

However, this is a communication problem between MC and the WDTV. It has nothing to do with JRemote. The same thing happens when you try to control the WDTV from MC itself, except you get an explanatory error message saying "There was a problem controlling this DLNA device".

This issue is in discussion on the Media Network board. The problem it seems is a firmware update to the WDTV that has broken its recognition of MIME types. What MC is sending is not being recognised by the WDTV, or vice versa.

Whether it works or not isn't an issue for JRemote.

dave_in_gva

• Recent member
« Reply #895 on: February 06, 2013, 04:56:01 am »

Great, thanks again CSimon. Sounds like it should work fine.

One question that *is* definitely JRemote related is whether people have marked preferences for the iPod Touch, iPad mini, or iPad full size interface. I'm planning on buying one of these strictly for the downstairs home theater to allow me to control the upstairs audio server. The Touch is cheapest but for me I would expect the navigation experience would be better with one of the two iPad form factors.

Most people on this thread appear to be using an iPad - is it safe to say that is the preferred form factor?

csimon

« Reply #896 on: February 06, 2013, 05:15:07 am »

I have an iPad.  I've been hankering after this sort of touchscreen media control from the sofa for many years, long before tablets and smartphones came out! I experimented with a 12" touchscreen monitor attached to a dual display PC running Meedio as it was the only media software that had any sort of dual-screen functionality, but there were issues such as dodgy dual screen control from Windows (it's really not designed for this, only one screen can run ActiveX, only one screen can have focus etc), the need to have power, VGA and USB cables attached to the monitor therefore, practically, it had to be mounted on a wall which means you have to get up off the sofa...

Windows Mobile devices were out there but these were too small for me.  I wanted touchscreen control of an extensive collection of albums - I didn't want to be forever scrolling and squinting.

The concept of the 10-foot interface for use on TVs by media centers/boxes is flawed in my opinion.  It's a bigger screen but simply because it's 10-feet away you can't really get any more items on it that you would on a hand-held device. And using a remote control where you have to press up and down and left and right buttons, and OK buttons and Select buttons, and Back and Return buttons, Page Up and Page Down buttons, is actually complicated, indirect and frustrating.

The iPad is the perfect size for this sort of thing. When it was announced, people said "Oh, it's just a bigger iPod".  But that's the whole point!  That's what makes it work and opens up a whole new area of applications that just weren't suitable for a phone-sized screen.  And look what effect it's had on the market.  I can't believe that PC manufacturers didn't see this coming and didn't have the foresight to do it before now, it was left to Apple to produce a smart but expensive version as they usually do and then everyone else has copied.  There was already proven technology in the form of high-end multiroom home AV installations, home automation etc.

I also can't believe that J River themselves haven't forecast the rise of the hand-held remote at-the-sofa and it has been left to third party developers to take home media browsing and control out of keyboard and mouse PC environment.  Even Theater View, which could be used on all-in-one touchscreen PCs if you want something wall-mounted or coffee-table, and now on Windows 8 tablets for that sofa experience, has been rather neglected in terms of touch compatibility.

Anyway, I digress!  I can't see myself using anything smaller (or larger) sized than an iPad regular for this application.  Your mileage may vary!

tester

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #897 on: February 06, 2013, 06:33:24 am »

i love remote...

some ideas....

dsp section...for me it would be great to have a headphone dsp change possibility...

and can you transfer the personnel library view or is this implemented only for the standard list?

thank u for this amazing app...

stephan

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #898 on: February 06, 2013, 08:29:35 am »

Hi Stephan, I also got your mail, but I will respond here.

Unfortunately, the DSP options are not available from the web server API, so this is not possible until JRiver adds it.

Regarding your second question, I think what you are asking is how to add/edit views in JRemote.
You can do that from this location in MC:
Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo.

Regarding the DLNA problems reported. I still have no reason to believe that the issue is with JRemote. It has worked fine for the two devices I have tested.

Still, some Linn and Naim users have reported problems recently. I don`t have any of those devices, so It is very hard for me to test this.

csimon

« Reply #899 on: February 06, 2013, 08:39:27 am »

Just wondering if it might be useful to have a FAQs icon in the app itself.  Maybe at the bottom of the left hand menu, or somewhere else where it is prominent but doesn't get in the way.  It might help newbies being confused and to stop questions and answers being repeated here.  Examples of content could be:

• Q. How do I change the views/sorting order?  A. Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo
  • Q. Why is [MyDevice] not appearing as a Zone? A. Check if the device is listed on the MC server as a Zone. If so, reload JRemote. If not, check your MC and device and network settings, ask questions in Media Network forum, etc.
  • Q. Why does a track not start playing? A. The device you are trying to play it on does not understand the format, or MC has a problem communicating with that device.
That sort of thing!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Up