INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minimum computer configuration  (Read 1504 times)

amitm

• Recent member
Minimum computer configuration
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:32:37 am »

I am looking for a minimum computer configuration that will allow me to do oversampling on the software. Assume that all other services can be shut off. I want to stay with a Windows based platform, and will be using a USB Async connection.

I also will not do anything like 44.1 -> 192, but will stick with 44.1->176.4 and 48->192 (all kHz, of course).

Thanks.

--amit

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Minimum computer configuration
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:24:30 pm »

For reference, my 2 year old Netbook with an N270 Atom processor runs at less that 20% CPU when upsampling from 44 to 176, using flac files. Without upsampling it runs at less than 5%.  By comparison, it runs at 25% for 44 to 96 and at 50% for 44 to 196. This is Windows 7 Starter with 1 GB memory. Pretty much nothing else running. So, you do not need a real fast machine just to do the upsampling. For comparison, my 3.2 GHz I5 system runs at less than 2% CPU usage when upsampling from 44 to 176. and at less than 5% when upsampling from 44 to 192.   Of course, some people will argue that the very fast processor will give you better sound. I will not get into that discussion. Just thought the CPU usage would help you. My DAC upsamples, so I do do not use MC to do it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 05:58:14 pm »

For reference, my 2 year old Netbook with an N270 Atom processor runs at less that 20% CPU when upsampling from 44 to 176, using flac files. Without upsampling it runs at less than 5%.  By comparison, it runs at 25% for 44 to 96 and at 50% for 44 to 196. This is Windows 7 Starter with 1 GB memory. Pretty much nothing else running. So, you do not need a real fast machine just to do the upsampling. For comparison, my 3.2 GHz I5 system runs at less than 2% CPU usage when upsampling from 44 to 176. and at less than 5% when upsampling from 44 to 192.   Of course, some people will argue that the very fast processor will give you better sound. I will not get into that discussion. Just thought the CPU usage would help you.

Just to confirm... This is great info.

I knew you could do it with an old Atom netbook (I've done it on my old ASUS EeePC before), but I didn't have any stats handy and hadn't tested with a recent build.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

amitm

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 07:42:50 pm »

For reference, my 2 year old Netbook with an N270 Atom processor runs at less that 20% CPU when upsampling from 44 to 176, using flac files. Without upsampling it runs at less than 5%.  By comparison, it runs at 25% for 44 to 96 and at 50% for 44 to 196. This is Windows 7 Starter with 1 GB memory. Pretty much nothing else running. So, you do not need a real fast machine just to do the upsampling. For comparison, my 3.2 GHz I5 system runs at less than 2% CPU usage when upsampling from 44 to 176. and at less than 5% when upsampling from 44 to 192.   Of course, some people will argue that the very fast processor will give you better sound. I will not get into that discussion. Just thought the CPU usage would help you. My DAC upsamples, so I do do not use MC to do it.

Thanks! This really helps -- wanted to see if I could build a fanless PC to do the job, and your input confirms that I can. Of course, the way my mind works, I will probably end up building the most powerful fanless PC I can make  :)

--amit
Pages: [1]   Go Up