INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A P E setting  (Read 1198 times)

zevele1

A P E setting
« on: May 18, 2002, 03:07:25 am »

What is the deal with fast and extra hight?

Do you save lot of space with extra hight?Much more than with fast?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:A P E setting
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2002, 04:00:33 am »

I use the default.  The others improve the compression very slightly (less than 5%) but take longer.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2002, 06:49:21 am »

I've tried a few different settings. The higher setting is just more compression like the different settings on Winzip. The higher compression takes longer but takes up less space. I still use "fast". It really is and the disk space is not that much different. It's worth the speed differential. But, then again, I have two humongous hard drives.
(Note to Zev ... "humongous" is not a real word. It's slang for "really big")
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2002, 07:07:43 am »

Humongus sounds like a kind of mushroom you get when at the beach

If you plan to fill a 160 giga drive with APE,in this case to set to extra gives you 8 giga more
Yes the files are big,but not that big.I got 10 cds on 2,92 gb.In my mind ,i saw it as monster files,but it is not
I just have 30|PLS|40 at this time.But as soon as i fix this bl.. computer,i want to put an ATA33 and 4 160 giga drives .Well,i will start with 2,do not think i will buy the 4 at once
In this case i will use APE a lot

There is something strange to want to get your music on your computer when you have a good stereo,but we are all like it as i can see
On the top of it we tend to be obsees by the fact to have to use only one jukebox for ALL our needs.Look strange.....
Maybe...but i can say that if this evening they put out MJ8 for Mac,next morning i buy one Mac

sekim

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2002, 09:20:57 am »

>>> There is something strange to want to get your music on your computer when you have a good stereo <<<

That is funny. I catch myself being upset that I don't have a hard drive big enough for all my cds. Then I think, duh, just go play it on the stereo real LOUD and forget about the other stuff until later. Most recently, I've been kicking around the idea of getting an mp3 compatible car stereo. One that really catches my eye is the Sony Xplode with a hard drive that will rip cds from the head unit. Now if MJ could be downloaded to that....

Darwyn

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2002, 02:15:49 pm »

There is a comparison chart on monkeysaudio.com between the settings. Basically each will yield nearly 1% more compression than the next. On a 800 MHz machine you can expect about 15 seconds on FAST, 20 seconds on NORMAL, 25 seconds on HIGH, and about 70 seconds on EXTRA HIGH to compress a typical 4 minute song. This is why HIGH is the recommended setting. If you use Extra High you will save a few KB per song but will be sorry if you decide to do a massive decoding operation which may take 3 times as long.

Endymion

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2002, 09:26:56 am »

Rip to wav format.  Use very high setting to batch encode to APE overnight.

sekim

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2002, 09:36:11 am »

>>>> Rip to wav format. Use very high setting to batch encode to APE overnight. <<<<

Seems like overkill to do it twice. Considering .wav is larger then APE to begin with. The speed of APE encoding makes this an unneeded step. To reverse back to .wav from APE for cd burning would be sensible though. Making the batch conversion a then logical step.

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2002, 09:36:47 am »

And to rip in APE fast first and convert to APE extra hight,not a solution?
Cause you can do much more 'rips' with APE concerning space on your hard drive
Pages: [1]   Go Up