INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External audio plugins chaining (VST/DX)  (Read 1557 times)

rlebrette

External audio plugins chaining (VST/DX)
« on: December 21, 2011, 06:37:01 am »

I put the following question http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68401.msg460863#msg460863 as a root topic since people can be interested

I'm interested to understand how VST/DX filters are chained in MC DSP.

The documentation is not clear enough about this.
Even in the new DSP view it's not clear to understand how the input/output pins are assigned.

Several plugins are stereo only, is there any way to plug them on specific channels (L/R, SL/LR, etc)?
If not, is it something that could be implemented? I've not been able to do so.

MC is acting almost as any other VST host (Bidule, Console) but it's not clear how far it can help users to get rid of complex configurations involving these components.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: External audio plugins chaining (VST/DX)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:39:00 am »

DSP effects are processed in the order they are listed in DSP Studio.  You can drag the effects to move them up and down.

There are two exceptions:
1) Output Format is always done first (the default ordering puts it at the top for clarity, but if you manually move it nothing changes)
2) Replay Gain is always done near the beginning because it applies at the file level, and doing it when other DSP effects are applied (just-in-time) doesn't make sense due to cross-fading, etc.

It is recommended that you leave Room Correction (or a Convolver if you use one) last since it changes phasing.

64bit floating point bitdepth is used for all internal effects.  VST plugins use 64bit when available and fall back to 32bit if the VST does not support 64bit.

All audio channels are passed to all audio effects.  Media Center does not offer a way to push only specific channels through a VST.  In other words, it is the VST's job to handle channel processing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rlebrette

Re: External audio plugins chaining (VST/DX)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:48:29 am »

Thanks that makes the thing clearer.

So from what I understand if we want to chain stereo or quadri extensions in a mult-channel configuration, we have to wrap the extension in another VST that will do the routing and pass through the channels that are not affected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up