INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experiments in social media  (Read 4067 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Experiments in social media
« on: December 19, 2011, 05:48:22 pm »

We're playing with adding Facebook, Twitter, etc. to the homepage and to Interact threads.

Jim made me laugh today when we were discussing the idea.  I said something like "The idea could cut both ways -- it looks modern but also possibly desperate.  You don't see Cisco doing it."  Jim, in as dead-pan a voice as possible said "We're not Cisco."

Anyway, let us know if you have any suggestions or feedback.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

vagskal

Re: Experiments in social media
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 06:20:21 pm »

I do not really use that stuff. Call me the Cisco Kid.

Seriously, I believe that any new consumer communication channel requires real commitment from the sender or otherwise users/consumers will sense that it is just a gimmick. In the forums users can help other users, and anyone posting on the forums will therefore normally have at least some kind of positive response. Will that work in the channels you are referring to? If not, do you at JRiver have the time and energy to respond in those channels so that the users do not feel neglected?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 06:26:55 pm »

I like being able to publicly recommend a thread on a private forum.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 06:27:42 pm »

We have no intention of doing any support on Facebook.

It's only informational.   On our part, it's a bit of an experiment.  And we're trying to accomodate customers who expect to be informed by their social media platform.

Nothing around here will be much different.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 06:28:35 pm »

I like being able to publicly recommend a thread on a private forum.
We did it with you in mind.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 06:44:36 pm »

Matt had to admit today that he didn't know what Marcel the Shell was.  JohnT tried not to look smug.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 06:54:33 pm »

That was way too entertaining.

vagskal

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 01:07:37 am »

We have no intention of doing any support on Facebook.

It's only informational.   On our part, it's a bit of an experiment.  And we're trying to accomodate customers who expect to be informed by their social media platform.

Nothing around here will be much different.

In that case I cannot see any downside.

I do not think that the presence of those small Facebook and Twitter icons on the homepage and in the forums would scare off any user, not even the Cisco crowd.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 01:15:16 am »

I'm on record as stating this is a great idea - IF done properly and not half-arsed.

Social Media IS NOT about advertising your product in the traditional sense, it's about providing information that is relevant to the people who follow you.

Do this consistently and your 9/10ths there  ;)

sgomes

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 03:03:14 am »

Can you add some space between "tweet" and "+1"? They are not the same :)

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 03:44:32 am »

bout d*%n time! LIKE!
I've been mentioning this for some time.
"The idea could cut both ways -- it looks modern but also possibly desperate.  You don't see Cisco doing it."
 who knows apple, who knows windows media player, who knows winamp, who knows xbmc. All mentioned use social networking, check out there fan bases...Years ago maybe. But in todays age. I feel it's needed, and can only benefit the company and it's customers.

Get rid of the group, and make a fan page, once completely setup with shop, online support(the ability to have a jriver facebook page with jriver friends, and see when they are online, be able to chat instantly, without having to give each other personal info..Priceless.i have at least 5 people i've met here that i chat with quite often. be nice to be able to do it from within facebook (group chats, vid chats) , Pics, and vids of jriver in action (from within facebook page where users can mingle, share songs, vids, get support instantly, all while being able to upload from there libraries, pics, vids, music memories) start adding other important pages/users... gizmodo, lifehacker, AVS, universal remote(to name a few) so they keep an eye on what jriver is and what it's doing and make your ad campaign. and target the millions that have been Aching for a Stellar media solution. And let's get JRiver on the list of Awesome HTPC players that are advertised now on those other sites during review time.

This is just awesome. We need threads now on skins, features,plugins etc. so we can share posts from within the forum visually.
1. home theater setups (asthetics)
2. remote control setups. (diagrams, Youtube learning vids, How to sections, that can all link with JRiver)  3. plugins NOW Available
4. gizmo in action, in your car, at your parents place, share your libray, bring it to work.
5. people using jriver as whole house control
6. vids pics, instructionals for those DJ'n

Basically once all the social networking is setup. your fans could do all the leg work.
And the end result could be huge.

The world is looking for an all in one solution. everything right in front of your face. And with jrivers awesome tagging and view abilities, if this is done right. Yowser!

And before any ruiners comment - ALL options built into jriver could be set to enable social netowkring or DISABLE social network syncin from within Jrivers settings giving each user the choice.

i'm kind of just ramblin off thoughts due to excitement. But the possibilites are endless, once it spreads, the opportunity's to work with other large companies to get end goals accomplished could very well be possible.(piggie backing off one another)
1. IOS users wanting apple devices to mesh better with jriver cause they are sick of itunes.
2. taggng sites allowing for syncing with out hefty licensing fees.(this i've read about alot here. many come in asking if another 3rd party app could be merged with jriver and many times jriver would liek to do it but legalities, licencing blah blah get in the way. Get bigger, and many may be willing to fold these fee's due to seeing the potential of all parties growing considerably
3.  a way for jriver software to learn your tastes(likes, rating system), and warn you of new releases of what's already in your collection... One could make a Rule/smartlist, love Aerosmith, have 5 albums of Aerosmith? does the smartlist have likes/5 stars for  aerosmith, sync with google, amazon, discogs, TVDB daily and send updated New releases of your favorite items available for purchase through performer store, amazon etc...Once purchases made ad an option to share that new purchase with friends by liking the purchase and giving a 30 second teaser of that clip that was just bought from that new purchase. Amazon already does this. talk with them. about using there listen to sample, by doing so they sell more tracks, jriver gets a cut. Personally i'd love jriver to tell me when my fav's come out with something new, so that i dont have to look for it,  and i'm sure jriver wouldnt mind making some $$$ from those purchases.

New movie harry potter is available for pre-sale, and it's in your library and star'd for wanting to be alerted.  when it becomes available it will be at your finger tips available for purchase, without any need for having to research google for new releases, or when is my favorite band coming out with something new.

so many ways one could get the word out once the social networking is all setup.
1. research apple itues users main dislikes... advertise on ads sick of this/that. check out jriver it's free for 30 days .Buy jriver get a free sticker, get a dongle... cable tv, sat breaking the bank? get htdv over the air with our free dongle after your purchase of jriver software.
2. Love facebook, make your timeline video with music and pictures with jrivers stellar tagging possibilties all of your media can be played back for your families enjoyment, play it back from the day you were born, play back all pics, vids audio from that special trip,(JRiver...Take a float down memory lane. LMAO)
3. confused on how to transfer pics from your camera, just plug in, sync with jriver and chose to upload to all your favorite social networking sites.
4. small business owner? make presentaions with all your graphics/logos etc from within jriver and upload them as your own ad campaigns. (could charge an additional monthly fee for this - we'd pay for it)
5. All NEW features could be posted on face/social networking pages.. so your users can share these new exciting features with friends & families, and then in turn they share with theirs.
6. incorporating something like spotify.  this song/video is is being listened to/watched from jriver media player, song is, rating is... get jriver here.

As far as legalities i dont think there would be any due to the fact your offering ways for all users to purchase all media. if  a user were to share something illegally on asocial networking site, that would be there fault, not yours. for jrver is built for sharing your personal life with all of your social networking sites that you chose, in an easy to understand manner with the ability to alert you when one of your likes are available for purchase, and above all to show off that new purchase with your friends with similiar tastes no matter where they live.

While writing this i thought of the "Like" factor from within the forum.. if someone were to read this post by me lets say... and they were to click like (or dislike) on my post, it would show on facebook, but ALSO give jriver the abilty at the end of the year. to run a batch scan (beyond me i don't code, i'm hypothesizing, but you have figured out how to make smartlists, and views and rules to perfection, i bet ya can figure out how to do it in forum as well) on all likes and show polls to themselves on where there customers are going, what conversations have had the most likes/shares/complaints/features. it would basically be a poll from within every post. Who better to tell ya where your going then your customers. the what's hot and what's not button. lol

What would be phenomenal would be to incorporate this type of system in the forum and from within the jriver facebook page, so they stay sync'd.... if people are on JRiver facebook page and like items(competition features. new technolgy, likes, dislikes of jriver itself) that could be also looked at via the like system syncing. Again your customers would be doing all the leg work. and guiding you on the direction of where they see jriver going. This would work stellar with facebooks new Insights for pages they have started offering.

Great new feature for forum... +1 (Like From Our Family!)
Interesting Read - http://www.socialbakers.com/how-to/342-facebook-classified-ads-best-practice-how-to-start-successful-facebook-advertising-campaign/

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 07:20:32 am »

I've liked the JRiver.com page but the link on Facebook shows (none) where the Name of the site should be.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 07:21:52 am »

Can you add some space between "tweet" and "+1"? They are not the same :)
It looks OK here.  Which browser do you use?  Please try IE.

sgomes

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 07:38:24 am »

It looks OK here.  Which browser do you use?  Please try IE.

Chrome here, I'll give IE a try when I'm home (although I generally just use it as a vehicle for downloading Chrome).

sgomes

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 11:46:25 am »

Chrome here, I'll give IE a try when I'm home (although I generally just use it as a vehicle for downloading Chrome).

Never mind, it's not an issue with Chrome or IE; it's an issue with an extension I have installed. Please disregard, looks fine if I disable it :)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 11:38:41 am »

Something to point out/Suggestion
I really liked the webgizmo feature, so i wanted to share/show it off on facebook,when one likes a forum post, the thumbnail if one is available automatically shows up on our facebook pages. which really has no relevancy to what jriver is/the topic at hand  (see 2nd image with baby although a cute baby, it's not gizmo related i don't think.)

But when we copy the address of topic in jriver and paste it as our status in facebook then it shows a different image notice 1st image - thumbnails of what is in that topic. (looks like a media center displaying cover arts)

Lots of facebook users are visual clickers.. Maybe something should be thought up on how to get certain thumbnails for each like that will impress those we share with?

Another thing i'd like to point out is i liked this post on Monday.. today i liked it again (for testing purposes) and it showed a different thumbnail. It looks as if the like button is taking people's avatars and using them as the thumbnail for what the topic is.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 11:41:24 am »

Who is that exceptionally good looking baby? :-)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 11:46:29 am »

By George It's MrC :)

So the like button is taking your avatar, and ChrisZ's when it wants to.

ashbel

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 06:40:07 am »

I would like to be able to post a listening to to Facebook with one click (pipe dream I know) -- because the cosmic entity knows my wall needs updating musically. 

One thing that I feel is *very* lost in the digital age is the social aspect of music.  In the UK back in the day everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) would watch Top of the Pops and the Old Grey Whistle Test on Thursday, tape it through the air, and then Monday it was a party at the record store when everything you'd seen the week before and by which you'd worn out your aircheque tapes became available.  You'd go down with a handful of mates and buy an album or two and five singles and then the trading and borrowing would begin. 

In America it was a little bit different because the records came out on Tuesday and the party was during the weekend, so I knew only a handful of first-day-purchasers but it was still very social.  Once I bought so much from one record store that they just started *giving* me stock.  When I went to that store, it was usually with 10 or so friends and they explained that whenever I walked in the store they smashed their sales quota for the day.  The proprietor figured he was making money giving me records that he couldn't sell.  I can't complain.  He literally gave me money when I sold them consignment and later liquidated my collection when I went digital.

Nowadays it seems that everyone's mired in nostalgia because there's no real outlet for people letting out what they like.  Everything on my wall is 25 to 45 years old.  I figure those who say "it's not as good as it was before" are just simply not listening, maybe because the informational outlets are very scattered now.  To my ears it's just as great as it ever was and I still hear things weekly that get me excited.

Adding social networking to MC might help to bring that back and I think it would be a very "forefront" thing to do, never mind all the free advertising.  Chatroom broadcasts would be really cool -- strike up a buddy list and you could watch a movie, listen to mp3s, whatever together.  Do any of the other jukeboxes do that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up