INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horizontal lines showing up with fast movement  (Read 794 times)

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
Horizontal lines showing up with fast movement
« on: December 26, 2011, 11:54:37 pm »

I notice that when something moves quickly on the screen, I can see horizontal lines. I'm assuming this has to do with interlaced content. I mostly watch live or recorded TV, and the most common signal used is 1080i. I most often notice it when a character turns their head quickly. It is easiest to see when the colors are simple (Dinosaur Train works well).

Is this just the consequence of watching content with an interlaced source signal? Obviously a 1080i signal can't magically turn into 1080p content. I'm pretty sure I am the only one in the room that notices. But, I don't even know if TVs are interlaced devices anymore, or if they are just like computer monitors.

I know that part of the pipeline of showing TV content is de-interlacing. I don't know exactly what this does because it's obviously not taking away the horizontal lines. This problem occurs using MadVR, EVR (in MC or WMC), and any combination of filters I've used. So I don't think it's a software problem.

Oddly, I do not notice this at all when watching NFL football, and I've confirmed that it is (at least sometimes) broadcast in 1080i.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up