INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Bug] MP3 Files Corrupted in JRiver but playable in Media Player  (Read 1205 times)

firdarrig

[Bug] MP3 Files Corrupted in JRiver but playable in Media Player
« on: December 31, 2011, 02:04:37 am »

So I have had two different albums that played fine at first but then started showing up as garbage on JRiver.  The first time it happened I assumed it was just a disk issue but when it happened a second time I tried playing the files in Windows Media Player and they played normally. 

Whatever is happening appears to be happening to an entire album/directory so it could be a tagging issue.  I have tried copying the files, fully deleting the files in my music directory through JRiver and then copying the files back with no change.

I have tried playing the files in both version 17 and 16 which I still have on my system with no difference between the two.

Suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: [Bug] MP3 Files Corrupted in JRiver but playable in Media Player
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:40:49 am »

What happens when you try to play them?  Do they sound bad or not play?

Try changing your audio output to DirectSound.

firdarrig

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:43:50 pm »

There is no sound except occasional blips.  The graphic equalizer shoots up to a level that should be blasting sound regardless of track on the album.  I checked my settings and I'm already to set to Direct Sound.  I have also redownloaded the MP3 file from Amazon with no change.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 04:19:19 pm »

Please email the file to matt at jriver dot com.  I'll erase it once I'm done testing.

Also, double-check that DSP Studio doesn't say 'Protect' in the lower left (meaning protect mode engaged due to signal or more likely DSP settings causing a huge spike).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 09:20:30 am »

I got this in email:
Okay, so you got me thinking, and I noticed under Audio Path that when Volume Leveling is turned on it's adding 77.8 Decibels.  Turning off Volume Leveling makes the file playable, so the issue is in how Volume Leveling reacts to this particular album.  Is there a way to change this?  I prefer to use the leveling function as some of my older MP3s were ripped at odd levels.  For this album the Adjustment Level in the automatic mode is +87.7 with a replay gain of -9.9.

Good detective work.  What values are in the 'Replay Gain' column?  There must be one that's really strange.  If so, please send me that file.

The Replay Gain for the two files you sent me are empty.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up